NDR Releases

king ubu

Announced for September release, label looks real, let's hope there'll be more!

71bCQTjmAOL._SL1200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.de/Years-Edition-Vol-1-Ndr-Studio-Hamburg/dp/B00DJLOBCA/

71tkRDtjNjL._SL1200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.de/Years-Jazz-Edition-Vol-2-Live-Hannover/dp/B00DJLOBOI/

Sorry if these have already been reported elsewhere.

Here's a link to the site of the label:

http://moosicus.com/

NDR must have lots of fine pre-avantgarde (i.e. 50s) Euro jazz in their archives from the time Hans Gertberg ran their jazz section. Many moons (decades) ago they re-aired some of these highlights from their vaults (e.g. collaborations between German and Swedish jazz musicians) late at night on NRD radio. Fascinating (and of course never to be heard again)!

'Bout time they mine THIS and not just the all too obvious bigger than big names in jazz.

NDR must have lots of fine pre-avantgarde (i.e. 50s) Euro jazz in their archives from the time Hans Gertberg ran their jazz section. Many moons (decades) ago they re-aired some of these highlights from their vaults (e.g. collaborations between German and Swedish jazz musicians) late at night on NRD radio. Fascinating (and of course never to be heard again)!

'Bout time they mine THIS and not just the all too obvious bigger than big names in jazz.

Yep, I fully agree! And alas that Surman that did come out recently (it was very short, just an excerpt, I guess) wasn't one of the good ones. I managed to compile a few dozen of these jazz workshops by now and there's loads really good stuff there! Sessions with Lucky Thompson for instance, the well-known one with Wes Montgomery, Johnny Griffin and Martial Solal, even Barney Wilen turns up on one!

But this is an existing label (for which these are already quite a departure in style, it seems), not someone at NDR mining the vaults, so I'd not hope for too much.

The four Hans Koller tracks on the first CD, plus another four, have been released previously on this CD:

51cXACAHgWL._SX450_.jpg

but on this cd the date, place and even the Timings of the tracks differ from the new ndr-issue. are they really the same??

Keep boppin´

marcel

The four Hans Koller tracks on the first CD, plus another four, have been released previously on this CD:

51cXACAHgWL._SX450_.jpg

Are you sure about that? Lord lists those eight tracks as being Vogue recordings made in Baden-Baden in May, whereas these supposedly are radio studio recordings made in Hamburg in March.

Well, if that's the case then I'm NOT sure. I just went from the track titles, personnel and year and assumed they were the same.

Looking at the CD cover I see that you are right. The date of the recording on the Saxophone Collection is given as May, 1953 at Baden-Baden, so I guess the recordings on the proposed NDR release ARE different....sorry.

Edited by Head Man

Yep, I fully agree! And alas that Surman that did come out recently (it was very short, just an excerpt, I guess) wasn't one of the good ones. I managed to compile a few dozen of these jazz workshops by now and there's loads really good stuff there! Sessions with Lucky Thompson for instance, the well-known one with Wes Montgomery, Johnny Griffin and Martial Solal, even Barney Wilen turns up on one!

But this is an existing label (for which these are already quite a departure in style, it seems), not someone at NDR mining the vaults, so I'd not hope for too much.

I'm not talking about the JAZZ WORKSHOP ("Jazz-Werkstatt" concert) intra-NDR LP releases of the 60s that have acquired cult status in certain circles. The sessions I am talking about are from the mid-50s or so and predate the "Jazz Workshop" by a long time. Besides, judging from those I caught on radio way back when they were rebroadcast in the early 80s, these 50s NDR recording tapes did not sound like concert recordings but more like real studio recordings (probably originally done for airplay only).

But like you said - if the label is like you say then I'd really not set my hopes too high.

• 2 weeks later...