Kind of Mobley

Per an Amazon customer review:

CD 1 Dig Dis (compilation of Roll Call and Soul Station)
CD 2 & Max Roach (The Max Roach Quartet, Featuring Hank Mobley)
CD 3 Mobley's Musings (Hank Mobley and his All Stars)
CD 4 Stretchin' Out (Peckin Time)
CD 5 My Groove Your Move (Roll Call)
CD 6 Wham and They're Off (Hank Mobley Quintet)
CD 7 with Kenny Clarke & Donald Byrd (7 tracks from Birth of Hard Bop)
CD 8 in the Max Roach 4 (The Max Roach 4 Plays Charlie Parker first 6 tracks)
CD 9 with Freddie Hubbard (Freddie Hubbard Goin' Up)
CD 10 with Dizzy Reese (Dizzy Reece Star Bright)

Not even the Stereo logo is original, which if irony or some other kind of grin was intended, ok, but, no.

If this is the "House Of Jazz", it must be the leaky basement that nobody's gonna bother and clean up because it's just too damn rancid. Just put the house up for sale, get a bigass crate of Febreze, take the money, and Run, Buddy, Run.

There's no ethical reason not to get this set, but there's aesthetic reason! From the listing it looks like many of these discs are half full - like those Quadromania 4-CD sets that have less than 2 CDs-worth of material on them. Another thing people have found with the cheaper PD labels is that, while of course they don't remaster from original or second-generation masters - they seem to take no trouble to locate the best remasters already issued, and it has been claimed by people who can do the technical stuff (I can't) that these are often taken from mp3s, not even from CD sources.

I'll end this sermon with a suggestion - the entirely legitimate Mobley Complete Capitol sells on amazon on mp3 very cheaply and is identical to the Mosaic.

All that said, what the heck, it is legal and cheap, so it all depends whether you buy into the neo-imperialist view on European PD. I guess the British ownership of this material by EMI is now ended and I imagine that the catalogue all this came from is now in the hands of Universal. Not sure but - expect nothing! ;)

I wonder if Universal now owns EMI/Capitol's half of Mosaic? Hmmm...