Bethlehem label being reissued in US

romualdo

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not what you were asking for, Hans, but I prefer the 1994 Nichols (Bethlehem 20-30112) to the new Japanese release (CDSOL-6008). Besides the bit loud mastering the bass seems somewhat boosted. Otherwise there is no real gain for that title imo.

I have to agree with Lon that East Coasting is sonically very enjoyable and dynamic. I have however nothing earlier to compare it against.

I was wondering where these Bethlehem sessions were recorded. Probably not a case of all the same studio and engineer like Van Gelder for Blue Note?

I finally got the Nichols in from Japan. I agree, a bit loud, and some bloated bass, but to be honest I always hear that bloat on this album, and everything else sounds really good on this one especially the piano and the snare drum. Glad I got it.

Yes, the bass sounds similarly bloated on the 1994 bethlehem release. It must be the recording. I did feel it has been lifted out of proportion. I'll listen again and concentrate on the piano and snare drum.

Update: Yes, the piano and snare drums are more clearly present and sound quite natural. To a certain degree the same can be accomplished by raising your amp's volume on the older CD.

The bit loud mastering is more of a problem with the stereo material, the Waldron being a case in point, containing both mono and stereo versions on a single disc.

I feel a bit ambivalent about the Japanese Solid discs. They are 'blink and they're gone' Roadrunner releases. What if the same titles will eventually be released in the US for a fraction of the cost with even better sound?

Dusty Groove has added another 30 or so titles as coming soon (March 12th) from the Japanese Bethlehem series on Solid.

6 Australian Jazz Quartet albums

Ralph Burns Bijou

Teddy Charles's Salute To Hamp and Ivy League

Russ Garcia Wigville and Sounds In The Night

Urbie Green - East Coast Jazz No. 6

Herbie Harper

Osie Johnson - Happy Jazz

Stan Levey - Plays The Compositions...

Humphrey Lyttleton - Humph Plays Standards

Howard McGhee - Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries

Dave McKenna & Hal Overton - Dual Piano Jazz

Sam Most - Amazing, East Coast Jazz 9, Musically Yours, Plays Bird, Bud, Monk & Miles

Terry Pollard

Bobby Scott - Compositions, Great Scott

Charlie Shavers - Most Intimate, Gershwin, Shavers & Strings

Six - S/T, View From Jazzbo's Head

Jack Teagarden - Jazz Great

George Wein & The Storyville Sextet - Metronome Presents Jazz At The Modern

Azie Mortimer - Feeling Of Jazz

Milt Hinton - East Coast Jazz 5

Edited by dougcrates

• 2 weeks later...

you're welcome! so you recommend all four (?) most sides....? how about that mcghee? i've seen it for years, but have never picked it up. at 1000 yen, it's kind of now or never.

Like Lon I've not heard all the Sam Most albums but I really like the flute in jazz (a minority, I know!) and he's a very good flautist. The album of his that seems to get the best reviews is the one with Herbie Mann, which came out a while back and is excellent. The Bethlehem McGhee?... get it. Like you said, for 1000yen it's a no-brainer!

Edited by Head Man

i think i'm going all in on an order of some size (10-15 titles). the mcghee makes the list - and i want the stan levey 'plays the compositions of cooper, holman, and giuffre'. i know absolutely nothing about the terry pollard (a female pianist) set, but that cover gives me a good vibe - and i see it's a quintet with don fagerquist...

btw, i did pick up 'this time the drum's on me' and 'daddy plays the horn' while in japan recently - and i love them. but i've not really heard any 'bad' japanese bethlehem issues.

i'll do some reseach on the personnel of the most sides and proceed from there. bethlehem and flute go together in my tastes (i do have the 'fraternity' date featuring most and mann) and i may have mann's 'love and the weather'.

terry-pollard.jpg

Edited by etherbored

i think i'm going all in on an order of some size (10-15 titles). the mcghee makes the list - and i want the stan levey 'plays the compositions of cooper, holman, and giuffre'. i know absolutely nothing about the terry pollard (a female pianist) set, but that cover gives me a good vibe - and i see it's a quintet with don fagerquist...

btw, i did pick up 'this time the drum's on me' and 'daddy plays the horn' while in japan recently - and i love them. but i've not really heard any 'bad' japanese bethlehem issues.

i'll do some reseach on the personnel of the most sides and proceed from there. bethlehem and flute go together in my tastes (i do have the 'fraternity' date featuring most and mann) and i may have mann's 'love and the weather'.

terry-pollard.jpg

I haven't heard her leader LP, but she's excellent on a couple of Terry Gibbs small group LPs on Emarcy.

terry-pollard.jpg

One thing that I try to watch out for on these reissues is whether the material was already issued in another form. That Stan Levey, great session, was half of "West Coasting" another session featuring Conte Candoli. The other half of the West Coasting album was reissued earlier as part of the current series ("Toots Suite," or "Sincerely Conte," I forget which). If you have "West Coasting" (reissued on the TOCJ series years ago), no need to purchase the current offering unless you want the different album cover.

I don't know what copy of "West Coasting" fetches used, but it may be cheaper than buying two new CD's.