Bethlehem label being reissued in US

romualdo

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when a vendor like HMV Japan refuses to ship to the Netherlands, that leaves discs OOP for all practical purposes. We are talking about several re-issue series here, Bethlehem, BN, Prestige, with literally hundreds of interesting discs. I can't pay extortion prices for all of them.

If there is a cheap alternative to CD Japan (and HMV Japan) with lots of stock I'd like to know about it. There is one Japanese seller on eBay whose prices are still reasonable, ftfym65.

i've said this before, but my best recommendation is connecting with a (private/non-chain) japanese shop, a la hiroshi / early records. many do business outside of japan. snag a copy of jazz life, jazz japan, or jazz critique and there are usually several advertising.

also, 'grand stan';

1: http://tower.jp/item/3246723/%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%B3%EF%BC%9C%E5%AE%8C%E5%85%A8%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E7%94%9F%E7%94%A3%E7%9B%A4%EF%BC%9E

2; http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Stan-Levey_000000000049491/item_Grand-Stan_227658

Edited by etherbored

Regarding which ones to pick up...

Thanks for your recommendations, Baker! I realized I actually have one album on Bethlehem (Nina Simone's first), but there should be room for a couple of more titles on my shelves.

Daniel, I would not want to be without the two Ellington, the three Mingus, and others are well worth checking out including the two Williamsons, the Tormes (if you're at all into Mel) and the Leveys.

....especially the Levey's!

Thanks again! I've checked "This time the drum's on me" on Spotify (where there are just a few releases from this reissue series) and it's indeed very good.

I (unwisely?) passed up on an original vinyl copy of "Grand Stan" just yesterday.

And when a vendor like HMV Japan refuses to ship to the Netherlands, that leaves discs OOP for all practical purposes. We are talking about several re-issue series here, Bethlehem, BN, Prestige, with literally hundreds of interesting discs. I can't pay extortion prices for all of them.

If there is a cheap alternative to CD Japan (and HMV Japan) with lots of stock I'd like to know about it. There is one Japanese seller on eBay whose prices are still reasonable, ftfym65.

i've said this before, but my best recommendation is connecting with a (private/non-chain) japanese shop, a la hiroshi / early records. many do business outside of japan. snag a copy of jazz life, jazz japan, or jazz critique and there are usually several advertising.

also, 'grand stan';

1: http://tower.jp/item/3246723/%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%B3%EF%BC%9C%E5%AE%8C%E5%85%A8%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E7%94%9F%E7%94%A3%E7%9B%A4%EF%BC%9E

2; http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Stan-Levey_000000000049491/item_Grand-Stan_227658

Thanks, etherbored. I also see that Dusty Groove has it in stock for $13.99. Still thinking about it, though I must say that This Time The Drum's On Me is one of my favorite records.

Wow, that Tower site is seriously Japanese!

i think i'm going all in on an order of some size (10-15 titles). the mcghee makes the list - and i want the stan levey 'plays the compositions of cooper, holman, and giuffre'. i know absolutely nothing about the terry pollard (a female pianist) set, but that cover gives me a good vibe - and i see it's a quintet with don fagerquist...

btw, i did pick up 'this time the drum's on me' and 'daddy plays the horn' while in japan recently - and i love them. but i've not really heard any 'bad' japanese bethlehem issues.

i'll do some reseach on the personnel of the most sides and proceed from there. bethlehem and flute go together in my tastes (i do have the 'fraternity' date featuring most and mann) and i may have mann's 'love and the weather'.

One thing that I try to watch out for on these reissues is whether the material was already issued in another form. That Stan Levey, great session, was half of "West Coasting" another session featuring Conte Candoli. The other half of the West Coasting album was reissued earlier as part of the current series ("Toots Suite," or "Sincerely Conte," I forget which). If you have "West Coasting" (reissued on the TOCJ series years ago), no need to purchase the current offering unless you want the different album cover.

I don't know what copy of "West Coasting" fetches used, but it may be cheaper than buying two new CD's.

It's the "Sincerely, Conte", actually, that makes the one half of that 2000 "West Coasting" CD; the other half as you said is Stan Levey's "Plays the Compositions of Bill Holman, Bob Cooper and Jimmy Giuffre".

Thanks A!

I reacted slowly to the first japanese Bethlehem batch - now I have to pay the price... Just received the Dick Wetmore from a japanese amazon.uk seller (great packaging by the way by TOMMY) and ordered Stan Levey's 'This Time the Drums..' and 'Grand Stan' as well as 'Sincerely, Conti'.

My West Jazz mood came back this morning by playing "Jack Montrose Sextet" from those great Pacific Jazz series on CD "West Coast Classics" produced by Cuscuna in the late 90s.

Any more recommendations from these series would be really welcomed!!

Edited by Alexandros

My West Jazz mood came back this morning by playing "Jack Montrose Sextet" from those great Pacific Jazz series on CD "West Coast Classics" produced by Cuscuna in the late 90s.

Any more recommendations from these series would be really welcomed!!

Any or all of them...... :tup

I didn't realize until learning about this reissue series from this thread that Art Blakey's Big Band on Bethlehem even existed. I found Coltrane's The Bethlehem Years, which includes the Blakey date and Winner's Circle, for $5 at a shop today. :tup

Good score!

Winner's Circle is one I like a lot.

Indeed. I played Winners Circle last night (the previous mini lp series) - really a very nice record; as a consequence I preordered this 2cd Coltrane set to be released on the 12th of March '14 (of course I could have get just the Art Blakey Big Band released last year but it was not available from cdjapan, so... - I ll check the mastering differences of the Winners CD for the forum's benefit...) along with two more Bethlehem titles to be released that date (Stan Levey/Plays the compositions, and the Terry Pollard ones); a very productive ordering session last night thanks to this forum :tup , with some tiltles from the Sony reissues (Garner Paris, Willen x 2 , Duke suites, Ornette, Woods x 2, Louis at Town Hall, Parker Birdland), Prestige 7000 (Sonny Criss Kaleidoscope, Teddy Charles collaboration West, James Moody x 3), Atlantic (Teddy Charles Bird).

Edited by Alexandros

• 2 weeks later...

A big box of Bethlehem arrived today. Sure was fun unwrapping them all. I put this on first though, which is from an early batch and luckily I got one in the mail this week. Why didn't I get this title somehow before? It's wonderful. A peppier, bit more modern All Stars set up that swings and burns.

MI0000220913.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I had Terry Pollard's album and The Happy Jazz of Osie Johnson in my cart pending an order that I planned on making next month. I looked today and both are coming up on CD Japan as OOP when the release date is today!!! Freaking out, I ordered the Pollard from Amazon, as I'm a sucker for Don Fagerquist and would've hated to miss this one. Both are still available from HMV, but their shipping charges are ridiculous.

What are the other options for picking these up other than HMV, CD Japan, Dusty Groove and Amazon? I've been focusing on the Blue Note SHM reissues, but I'm beginning to think that the Bethlehem reissues should take priority.

Edited by Justin V

The recent batch from March 12 is now OOP on the CD Japan site - luckily I managed to order 11 of the suckers (missed out on 16 others) - wow!! yo've got to be fast here & I even preordered

looks like I'll have to get the remainder via HMV Japan (shipping more expensive here)

this new batch does not appear to be listed on the Dusty Groove site yet

Almost all of them were listed before. . . I had them on my watch list. . .

Yeah, they're there on the website,but they don't yet have them offered for sale (I will be getting emails when they do arrive. But I already have the ones I placed on my list.)

Took the plunge last week and bought the Hank d'Amico CD from that Japanese eb.. seller some of you mentioned - ftfym65. Ordering and shipping confirmation came immediately but I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed and see when it actually shows up on my doorstep and in the meantime I will probably send a mail to ask if and when it has really been shipped (hoping I get an intelligible reply, too ;)).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - The Terry Pollard album is on digital stores now - iTunes, emusic.com, amazon.com - plus streaming at Spotify. It doesn't appear to be in the 'mastered for iTunes' program, but does seem to be an official release licensed to verse music group. There are other Bethlehem titles available this way as well.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/terry-pollard/id844222786

http://www.emusic.com/album/terry-pollard/terry-pollard/14846887/

http://www.amazon.com/Terry-Pollard/dp/B00J43S29A

Spotify - Terry Pollard – Terry Pollard