Duke Ellington Columbia & Okeh recordings ('27 to '30)

RiRiIII

I wonder if Mosaic might ever tackle the late 1920s Ellington sides--at least the ones that are currently under Universal and Sony control.

Well, that would be about all of them, wouldn't it? Universal and Sony together control all the Brunswicks, Sony has the Victors and the Okehs. What's left?

gregmo

There's the Durium, Cameo and Plaza recordings. (There may be more.) Someone on this Forum gave a complete listing and said-- IIRC-- that they were controlled by Sony. Unfortunately I've searched but can't find the thread.

Cameo and Plaza were two of the labels that amalgamated (with Pathe US) to form ARC, so those are Sony owned. But Durium? I thought it was an Italian fifties label.

MG

Durium was the company that issued 'Hit Of The Week' records

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.

So, which company owned it back in the day?

MG

MG

Why not do a search on the internet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durium_Records

I wonder if Mosaic might ever tackle the late 1920s Ellington sides--at least the ones that are currently under Universal and Sony control.

Well, that would be about all of them, wouldn't it? Universal and Sony together control all the Brunswicks, Sony has the Victors and the Okehs. What's left?

gregmo

There's the Durium, Cameo and Plaza recordings. (There may be more.) Someone on this Forum gave a complete listing and said-- IIRC-- that they were controlled by Sony. Unfortunately I've searched but can't find the thread.

Cameo and Plaza were two of the labels that amalgamated (with Pathe US) to form ARC, so those are Sony owned. But Durium? I thought it was an Italian fifties label.

MG

MG

MG

Why not do a search on the internet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durium_Records

Oh, I see. So he didn't record FOR Durium; he recorded for Hit of the week and Durium issued the material in Britain.

(I tend not to do searches (except for images to post, which is different) while I'm reading the board.)

MG

gregmo

MG

MG

MG

Oh, I see. So he didn't record FOR Durium; he recorded for Hit of the week and Durium issued the material in Britain.

(I tend not to do searches (except for images to post, which is different) while I'm reading the board.)

MG

Well, the answers to questions like yours can be easily found with a quick search (in another window) that wouldn't interrupt your reading pleasure for more than a couple of minutes or even less :)

Edited by J.A.W.

gregmo

MG

MG

MG

MG

Well, the answers to questions like yours can be easily found with a quick search (in another window) that wouldn't interrupt your reading pleasure for more than a couple of minutes or even less :)

I often find searches for European record companies very frustrating, they so frequently include accents which I ignore, and can't find them. So I usually don't bother to interrupt my pleasure to engage in frustration :D

MG

BTW The Naxos series of Ellington cds is far from complete but does tend to include some rare things like the "Hit of the Week" sides. Sound is good too. Easily available in Canada if not in the US.

I don't agree about the sound on those Naxos Ellingtons; to my ears they suffer from noise reduction.

I'm not sure why posing a simple question needs or deserves such a patronising response.

If you are referring to my response to MG's question, I was wondering why people are asking questions they can easily find the answers to on the internet and MG explained. I was just being curious, that's all. Nothing patronising about it in my view.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm not sure why posing a simple question needs or deserves such a patronising response.

If you are referring to my response to MG's question, I was wondering why people are asking questions they can easily find the answers to on the internet and MG explained. I was just being curious, that's all. Nothing patronising about it in my view.

I didn't think so, either.

MG