Vijay Iyer & Jeremy Denk: 2013 MacArthur Geniuses

colinmce

You can agree or not but the current steering committee certainly seems to be looking at this as an investment in the future, i.e. giving money to much younger artists who presumably are at an earlier point in their careers, rather than going to established artists and validating a career that is mostly behind them, a la the Nobel prizes.

You can agree or not but the current steering committee certainly seems to be looking at this as an investment in the future, i.e. giving money to much younger artists who presumably are at an earlier point in their careers, rather than going to established artists and validating a career that is mostly behind them, a la the Nobel prizes.

Imo, Roscoe Mitchell has more music ahead of him - no matter how much longer he lives - than Vijay Iyer ever will. So I don't think that the "investment in the future" concept is necessarily valid.

Edited by paul secor

Imo, Roscoe Mitchell has more music ahead of him - no matter how much longer he lives - than Vijay Iyer ever will. So I don't think that the "investment in the future" concept is valid.

You don't but others don't see it that way. I am not very interested in Roscoe Mitchell's work and generally am intrigued by what Iyer is up to.

Certainly, the odds are that Vijay will be creating a lot longer than Roscoe at this point. It comes down to taste, and there is no point in getting too steamed over it.

Actually, the Nobel for Literature is even more of a joke.

The scientific ones are not about validating a career. The people that win those....deserved them.

If he does what Vandermark did with his money....it @ least wouldn't be such a joke.

Edited by Blue Train

There should be a template/form for awards threads.

A. X won _____ award. Well deserved.

B. Yes I agree wholeheartedly.

C. X sucks. The award should have gone to the great Z.

A. Z sucks.

D. Both X and Z suck.

E. I adore X and Z.

F. I completely disagree with the notion of ranking jazz musicians... nonetheless this is a scandal and Ω was robbed.

(Omega has way more cred than Z.)

There should be a template/form for awards threads.

A. X won _____ award. Well deserved.

B. Yes I agree wholeheartedly.

C. X sucks. The award should have gone to the great Z.

A. Z sucks.

D. Both X and Z suck.

E. I adore X and Z.

F. I completely disagree with the notion of ranking jazz musicians... nonetheless this is a scandal and Ω was robbed.

(Omega has way more cred than Z.)

... q. Thread locked by moderators.

Vijay is an amateur. Sorry, but it's reality.

Shipp, for just one example, is 10 times the pianist he is.

what evidence for Iyer's amateur status? Seems to me he earns a living from his music wich puts him in mind on the professional side of the line.

Maybe your use of 'amateur' was perjorative in which case why not back it up with some evidence (not opinion) rather than leave it hanging there

I have four albums with Iyer -- two as a leader or co-leader, two as a sideman with Rudresh Mahanthappa -- and Allen may be pleased to know that at times Iyer reminds me of Brubeck. OTOH, I don't hear amateurishness, just conceptual choices/emphases that after a while don't quite work for me -- or, better, don't do enough work over the course of a particular piece but instead more or less state and restate what I've already heard.

In that general vein --- combining jazz elements with elements from the subcontinent, if that is an accurate way to put it -- I prefer the work of Boulder, Co.-based altoist-composer Aakash Mittal, who I believe has studied with Mahanthappa and also is a friend of his. Mittal and his bandmates are more inclined to play with and off of the fairly elaborate rhythmic and melodic patterns they set up. The "clave" (to mix musics) is there and is felt, but it's not all that one hears.

Some Mittal info and clips:

http://www.aakashmittal.com/live/

I heard him live in Chicago about two months ago with his regular quartet and trumpeter Russ Johnson and was impressed. His most recent album "Ocean," featuring the same material from that gig but with Ron Miles on trumpet, is very good IMO.

ok he's a pro; I take it back; but I find his work affected and stylistically cloying. Hope that's better.

Courteous business-speak tends to smooth over relations between people. I find that not that many people can take a blunt statement these days. When one is made, it seems shocking. Now you have said something very negative in a way that people can more easily swallow it. I do this in my work about every three minutes, all day long.