Un-American Jazz ! Bop to post-bop (and everything in between) &#3

Simon8

Thanks to all for these recommendations ! Listening right now online to Hans Koller indeed excellent "Exclusiv"; heard him also on Oscar Pettiford's very good "Lost Tapes" (also featuring Rolf Kuhn). Listened to Michael Naura as well (W. Schlüter quite impressive on vibes !). Special thanks to Joe for that Nick Ayoub MONTREAL SCENE heads up (didn't know about that album recorded in my back yard, shame on me).

Rolf Ericsson's Swedish recordings (all compiled by the good folks at Dragon Records... MILES AWAY, & THE AMERICAN STARS 1956)

+1 :tup

for Rolf Ericson's Swedish rcordings.

I was going to mention MILES AWAY in my earlier post but decided to restrain myself. But now that it's mentioned ... (and maybe to bring the recommendations back into the MIDDLE of the time frame originally mentioned by the thread starter, instead of its tail end ... ;) )

The MILES AWAY CD really is something else. Don't know how to describe it, but Ericson's Swedish recordings from that period have a "bite" and punch of their own.

The Arne Domnérus/Rolf Ericson CD on Dragon (DRCD 381) is also recommended more or less along the same lines.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Followed some of your Polish steps, king ubu: Stanko's "Music for K" is perhaps a little too out for me (I'll listen some more for sure); I like what I'm hearing from the Andrzej Kurylewicz Quintet right now.

:tup

the Polish stuff at least (mostly) fits the time frame, unlike some other of my recommendations ;)

Of all the fine modern jazzmen Britain produced, a special word here for Scottish trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar. Wonderful player, sort of Dorham-like... can be heard alongside Tubby Hayes on a number of recordings, including the live DOWN IN THE VILLAGE. But his leader dates are worth tracking down as well. Jasmine collected many of these in the early 2000s for CD reissue. SHOWCASE collects the beer-themed tracks that were available briefly here in the States via Contemporary as PUB CRAWLING.

I've a Jimmy Deucher album that was issued on Pacific Jazz, the cover blurb is all about extra strong India Pale Ale.

The Jazzhus label has certainly educated me on European jazz, but they seem to have dried up with their re-releases at present(?).

Edited by ArtSalt

I've a Jimmy Deucher album that was issued on Pacific Jazz, the cover blurb is all about extra strong India Pale Ale.

The Jazzhus label has certainly educated me on European jazz, but they seem to have dried up with their re-releases at present(?).

That would be the one on Contemporary - US issue of a Tempo session

110847924683.jpg

Of all the fine modern jazzmen Britain produced, a special word here for Scottish trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar.

... SHOWCASE collects the beer-themed tracks that were available briefly here in the States via Contemporary as PUB CRAWLING.

Not quite.

The four tracks from the April 26, 1955 session are on "Showcase" (JASCD 616) but the four tracks from the April 23, 1956 session are on "Opus De Funk" (JASCD 621), and only two of the 4 tracks from the 1956 session (i.e. 6 out of the total of 8 beer-related titles) were included on the "Pub Crawling" LP on Contemporary.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Of all the fine modern jazzmen Britain produced, a special word here for Scottish trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar.

... SHOWCASE collects the beer-themed tracks that were available briefly here in the States via Contemporary as PUB CRAWLING.

Not quite.

The four tracks from the April 26, 1955 session are on "Showcase" (JASCD 616) but the four tracks from the April 23, 1956 session are on "Opus De Funk" (JASCD 621), and only two of the 4 tracks from the 1956 session (i.e. 6 out of the total of 8 beer-related titles) were included on the "Pub Crawling" LP on Contemporary.

Thanks for the correction and clarification... more Deuchar to collect!

• 2 weeks later...

[...] and Nick Ayoub's THE MONTREAL SCENE (OK, Canada, but its Quebec, and Ayoub is Lebanese).

124399.jpg

Grabbed a copy of Ayoub's "Montreal Scene" yesterday (actually somewhere down there in the album cover picture). Very happily impressed so far: catchy originals, cleverly arranged, delivered with gusto by a well-seasoned, inspired band. You can hear that the session was carefully planned and executed. Very good recording and remastering. The tenor/trumpet frontline and the music’s allure made me first think about hard bop à la west coast, say Kamuca/Candoli (or Land/Gordon?)… but an east coast echo just struck me: Tina Brooks/Blue Mitchell.... "Back to the (Montreal) Tracks". Ayoub (tenor) and Al Penfold (trumpet) both have a really appealing sound on their instrument.

To change tack, various things by the Blue Notes - Mongezi Feza, Dudu Pukwana, Chris McGregor, Johnny Dyani, Louis Moholo - may be of interest. But to stick more to the bop/post-bop rubric, check out the wonderful, wonderful record 'Yakhal'Inkomo' by Winston 'Mankunku' Ngozi...a stone classic in South Africa.

Edited by Alexander Hawkins