Ellington Mosaic Sets

porcy62

I am tempted by the Coleman Hawkins, Mingus Workshop, Earl Hines, Gillespie, Chu Berry, Hampton...

I'd go for the full Ellington band Mosaic first, then probably the Hawk. Sadly, they are all good sets :)

The Chu Berry Mosaic is on "Last Chance", so why not pick up that one first? It might be gone soon: http://www.mosaicrecords.com/lastchance.asp.

I agree, they are all good sets. I guess I would go with the OLDEST, or contact Mosaic and ask which they anticipate would be the first of these to sell out. As Hans notes, the Chu is on last chance, should grab that one first.

Edited by jazzbo

Actually I just picked Berry, Hawk, Ellington small groups and Mingus. My wallet thanks.

I have to admit that lowering shipping cost with multiple purchase is a great pretext. :w

If they're available from JazzMessengers in Spain then it's free shipping at the moment.

Yep! Thanks for the info, just checked the price including first class shipping UPS and VAT from US, considering the rate dollar/euro it's roughly the same price.

Will you not have to pay a VAT/Import charge on anything delivered from the US?

Coincidently, I today received the "Woody Shaw Complete Muse Recordings" boxset on Mosaic from JazzMessengers. Their price was about the same as buying direct from Mosaic but because they are based in the EU I never had to pay any additional charges...plus their service was first-class. Ordered and delivered within a week.

The Muse set is 129,99 euro on JazzMessengers, on Mosaic site 119 $ = 87 euro, now + 17, 4 euro (20% VAT) + 15 euro (shipping) = 129 euro.

That's why I've been sticking ordering from Mosaic. Legendary customer service including replacing a defective disc in one set many years after purchase.

The Muse set is 129,99 euro on JazzMessengers, on Mosaic site 119 $ = 87 euro, now + 17, 4 euro (20% VAT) + 15 euro (shipping) = 129 euro.

That's why I've been sticking ordering from Mosaic. Legendary customer service including replacing a defective disc in one set many years after purchase.

I have no problems with buying direct from Mosaic. In fact over the years I have bought over 40 sets from them. However I do object to getting stuffed with a significent additional charge for VAT and "Collection?". In the past the collection of these charges has been a bit "hit and miss" but I find that nowadays anything I buy from outside the EEC invariably gets caught in Customs and incurs both a charge and a delay. Why not buy from within the EEC and get rid of the hassle?

I have no problems with buying direct from Mosaic. In fact over the years I have bought over 40 sets from them. However I do object to getting stuffed with a significent additional charge for VAT and "Collection?". In the past the collection of these charges has been a bit "hit and miss" but I find that nowadays anything I buy from outside the EEC invariably gets caught in Customs and incurs both a charge and a delay. Why not buy from within the EEC and get rid of the hassle?

Only when ordering another Select I might go the Jazzmessengers way, because those slipcases are so fragile.

The Ellington Reprise set is still available, but not in the Mosaic box, it is the "Spiegel Edition". Only downside is the booklet was all in German, but the discs and discography info is all in English.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duke-Ellington-Reprise-Studio-Recordings/dp/B0000A9DYT/

After sourcing the "Spiegel Edition", I Initially contacted Warners UK to see if they had any English versions of the booklet but alas no luck there so ended up getting one from Mosaic

You really do need to get those extant Ellington Mosaics before they sell out