Roland Kirk on Mosaic

miles65

Have Reed & Deeds or Gifts & Messages been released in Japan lately?

nope. only 'rip, rig, and panic' and 'beautiful edith' among his non-atlantic work have (however, a spate of the atlantic material has and/or will be by the end of february). http://snipurl.com/28hkffb

Edited by etherbored

• 2 months later...

Great set this one - they have done a fabulous sonic job with the 180g LPs. Certainly, the clarity exceeds that of both the original Mercury LPs (not to mention the Mercury/Limelight 11CD set - which is blown out of the water) and the vinyl is super-quiet. Recommended !

In particular, Kirk's flute playing on 'I Talk With The Spirits' really benefits from the presentation in this set. Plus I suspect that the set will result in quite a few new fans of 'Slightly Latin'. Was there anyone who was more of a master at putting together on his LPs wildly diverse but mutually compatible selections where the whole is more than the sum of the parts?

Edited by sidewinder

I have a US mono Limelight 'Slightly Latin' (picked up at either the JRC or Academy in NY I think) as well as a UK Limelight stereo issue with different sleeve art - in the US the mono version seems to be more common, for some reason. There's significantly more clarity on the Mosaic version - although the UK Limelight runs it fairly close. Vinyl noise on the Mosaic is far superior.

The ensemble passages on 'Slightly Latin' are quite muddy in places e.g. during the chanting on the Limelight mono - the Mosaic version picks out the detail.

I would agree with Clifford that 'not essential but nice to have' if you have good original copies.

Edited by sidewinder