Ingrid Laubrock & Tom Rainey Tour 2014

CraigP

she is very very good; reminds me at times of Frank Lowe. And she plays well on Larry's clip; but there is a lack of urgency in her playing which is strangely typical of a lot of what I hear these days. But I'm of the Pee Wee Russell, 'play it like you're about to die' school; though she does perk up briefly.

Edited by AllenLowe

she is very very good; reminds me at times of Frank Lowe. And she plays well on Larry's clip; but there is a lack of urgency in her playing which is strangely typical of a lot of what I hear these days. But I'm of the Pee Wee Russell, 'play it like you're about to die' school; though she does perk up briefly.

I am also not a fan of the cooler than thou approach in the freeish outtish areas. As much as I like Rainey, Laubrock, Davis and many of the other downtowners, I get irritated when they don't maximize the intensity more often. Sometimes it can be quiet or detailed intensity but often that sinks into drab monochromatic pseudo avant balladeering.

I got me a large antidote to that this Friday night with Nasheet's great quartet with Darius Jones, David Virelles and Mark Helias.

I will get more this Thursday as any band with Mat Maneri and Randy Peterson is never too cool to rip it up - loud or soft

The way I see it, you can go elsewhere for fire and intensity. Not every player has to bring that. I appreciate her music for what it is (though I don't mean to discount your alls impression of her playing...subjectivity rules the day)

If you want to hear Tom Rainey absolutely burn the house down, listen to Tim Berne's The Shell Game.

The way I see it, you can go elsewhere for fire and intensity. Not every player has to bring that. I appreciate her music for what it is (though I don't mean to discount your alls impression of her playing...subjectivity rules the day)

If you want to hear Tom Rainey absolutely burn the house down, listen to Tim Berne's The Shell Game.

The challenge I have with Rainey is that WHEN he plays to his strength (which is his off kilter grooves or even anti-grooves), that there is no other drummer I know of who displays that sort of power and intensity. Yes, his brushwork and hand drumming and his use of wine glasses and scraped cymbals is all very accomplished and creative - BUT - when one is that great at playing with extreme fire, I wish for more of that than he is willing to give on a regular basis.

And I've seen the guy probably 10+ times over the past 18 months in a variety of contexts and he remains one of the best drummers playing today - so this is not what some might think.

Reading this listening to Paradoxical Frog's Union- now there's some great, intense, restrained playing by Laubrock on this one.

And let's face it if all our favourite musicians played just how we wanted them to every time we saw them we'd have nothing but unrestrained plaudits to post here - what a boring world that would be :w

5199qPM8qcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Listen to this from the late-90s and then hear the distance she's travelled.

There was a period during the noughties when she appeared at virtually every Cheltenham Festival over a 6 or 7 year stretch, either leading or in other bands. Every year she'd changed and was moving way into the outside world before she went to the States.

You'd not credit it now but she fitted perfectly in Brazilian themed bands; was able to craft wonderfully inventive lines that never tried to take over but enhanced the music. I particularly remember a rare UK concert appearance by Guinga (legendary singer from Brazil) with Ingrid on one side and Monica Vasconcelos on the other.

A real explorer.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I would say that I often agree with you, but seeing her the other day in that duo, that she was playing like she was running scared (in a good way). Super intense and ferocious, also clearly being challenged by Tom, who gets more monstrous every time I see him.

I would say that I often agree with you, but seeing her the other day in that duo, that she was playing like she was running scared (in a good way). Super intense and ferocious, also clearly being challenged by Tom, who gets more monstrous every time I see him.

I was thinking of going next weekend for the "standards" band with Laubrock, Alessi, Davis and Gress - but alas I doubt I get the "Monstrous" Rainey in that context.

I saw Ingrid and Sabir Mateen about 3 years ago, maybe 4, in a small bar in Brooklyn. Probably 10 people there. I think Ingrid might have played solo to start, then she was joined by Sabir Mateen. Sabir is a busker from way back, and is an extremely hard blower. I don't think I exaggerate when I saw that Ingrid held her own when she went head to head to Sabir for a good 40+ minutes. It was pretty interesting to watch--and listen to. So if it's a blowing contest, she can handle her own. I'm glad that is not all she is interested in. What I like is her versatility and her interest in multiple musical contexts, We got a new generation of improv players out there.

I think they're a little old to call "new generation" - Laubrock is 43; Rainey 55; Halvorson maybe 34? Tyshawn is 33; Bird was dead by all those ages; or at least, extremely tired.

As we know it is a different age as 35 today is young compared to the days when the whole bandstand was all often under 30 or 25.

I certainly think of anyone under my own age of the newer generation.

Plus there is a long tradition within the outtish portions of this music and if one has been on the "scene" for under 10 years, that is a relatively short time.

I certainly think Wooley, Halvorsen, Sorey, Jones, Smith, Ban, Sacks, Evans, Davis, Gerstein, et al are of the newer generation. They are all in one way or another highly connected to that previous group that includes musicians like Malaby, Berne, Cleaver, Rainey, Waits, Maneri, Noriega and all the rest

It's as much a matter of musical reference as age. The creators and early exponents of free jazz, The New Thing, Fire Music, etc, have passed, or are passing from the scene. The folks CraigP and Steve mentioned were not of that generation and, for the most part, had no chance to share that experience. So they have to look for new ideas, new modes of expression, music that fits the current age. I like that. Having said that, perhaps some ambitious grad student could do a masters thesis or dissertation on Anthony Braxton's influence on contemporary improvisation. Of all the previous generation avatars, it might turn out his influence will be the most significant and pervasive. Many of those listed above, studied or played with Braxton, and many others became associates of those who did. Being himself rather sui generis, it is not surprising that AB has helped create a generation of highly diverse improvisors who draw on manifold influences.

Steve: "I certainly think Wooley, Halvorsen, Sorey, Jones, Smith, Ban, Sacks, Evans, Davis, Gerstein, et al are of the newer generation. They are all in one way or another highly connected to that previous group that includes musicians like Malaby, Berne, Cleaver, Rainey, Waits, Maneri, Noriega and all the rest."

Leeway: "Of all the previous generation avatars, it might turn out his (Braxton's) influence will be the most significant and pervasive. Many of those listed above, studied or played with Braxton, and many others became associates of those who did."

I think both are excellent points. Regarding age, I look at a new generation in terms of when they started to make their mark rather than their age.

• 1 month later...

Austin Texas

May 27, 8pm

Museum of Human Achievement

Lyons and Springdale in the Blue Genie Art Complex (MAP)

$10 admission at the door.

All Ages

Ingrid Laubrock (saxophones) and Tom Rainey (drums) are celebrating the release of their first duo recording titled And Other Desert Towns by touring the States. The duo's music draws on the several years and many projects they have shared since they began working together. Their experiences of playing original compositions, free improvisations and even standard songs inform this intimate setting of improvised duets. Between them, they regularly perform with Anthony Braxton, Tim Berne, Mary Halvorson, Kris Davis, Tony Malaby, Mark Helias, Angelica Sanchez and many others.

"And Other Desert Towns is showing well the paths of intuition they’ve established between one another. Rainey is consistently one of the most inventive drummers in New York (…) Laubrock is, as always, wonderfully lyrical and traipses about as freely as Rainey, occasionally matching pace with him but more often scurrying in circles around his quick figures." - New York City Jazz Record

Ingrid Laubrock - saxophones
Tom Rainey - drums

www.ingridlaubrock.com

$10 all ages admission. tickets available at the door
BYOB

This project is funded and supported in part by the City of Austin through the Economic Growth & Redevelopment Services Office/Cultural Arts Division believing an investment in the Arts is an investment in Austin's future. Visit Austin at NowPlayingAustin.com.

About Epistrophy Arts:
Epistrophy Arts is a grass-roots cultural organization dedicated to presenting the finest in adventurous and improvised music in Austin, Texas. Since January of 1998 we have presented over 70 concerts with living
legends, unsung heroes and rising talents in the field of adventurous music.

Austin Texas

May 27, 8pm

Museum of Human Achievement

Lyons and Springdale in the Blue Genie Art Complex (MAP)

$10 admission at the door.

All Ages

Ingrid Laubrock (saxophones) and Tom Rainey (drums) are celebrating the release of their first duo recording titled And Other Desert Towns by touring the States. The duo's music draws on the several years and many projects they have shared since they began working together. Their experiences of playing original compositions, free improvisations and even standard songs inform this intimate setting of improvised duets. Between them, they regularly perform with Anthony Braxton, Tim Berne, Mary Halvorson, Kris Davis, Tony Malaby, Mark Helias, Angelica Sanchez and many others.

"And Other Desert Towns is showing well the paths of intuition they’ve established between one another. Rainey is consistently one of the most inventive drummers in New York (…) Laubrock is, as always, wonderfully lyrical and traipses about as freely as Rainey, occasionally matching pace with him but more often scurrying in circles around his quick figures." - New York City Jazz Record

Ingrid Laubrock - saxophones

Tom Rainey - drums

www.ingridlaubrock.com

$10 all ages admission. tickets available at the door

BYOB

This project is funded and supported in part by the City of Austin through the Economic Growth & Redevelopment Services Office/Cultural Arts Division believing an investment in the Arts is an investment in Austin's future. Visit Austin at NowPlayingAustin.com.

About Epistrophy Arts:

Epistrophy Arts is a grass-roots cultural organization dedicated to presenting the finest in adventurous and improvised music in Austin, Texas. Since January of 1998 we have presented over 70 concerts with living

legends, unsung heroes and rising talents in the field of adventurous music.

Coming to Santa Fe too - May 29, I plan to be at the concert. Edited by jlhoots

• 4 weeks later...

I had the privilege of catching the duo on their first stop of their tour in Cleveland. I'm barely familiar with Tom Rainey and had only heard about 2 or 3 minutes of Ingrid Laubrock on a YouTube clip of the duo, so I was going into it with a pretty clean slate.

The opening act took the stage an hour late, which meant that Laubrock and Rainey didn't start their set until about 10 minutes to 11. Despite the late time and the fact that they had made the long drive from New York to Cleveland, the duo played an energetic, nearly hour-long set before an enthusiastic crowd. Rainey is very creative and unpredictable, yet he is a surprisingly melodic drummer. Laubrock is a muscular and dynamic saxophonist who matches up quite effectively with her husband. Despite her instrumental prowess and ability to use some extended techniques, she was very musical throughout and not just during the more lyrical moments of her solos.

I'd recommend seeing them to anyone with even the slightest interest in adventurous music. It's not very common for an avant-garde group to embark on a lengthy stateside tour, and this duo richly deserves some support. I'm looking forward to listening to the new duo disc, and I hope to catch them in concert again.

Thanks for the comments, Justin

For sure Rainey is one of the most exciting and unpredictable drummers on the scene today. Next time for me will be on June 29th with Kris Davis' Capricorn Climber with both Ingrid and Tom in the band.

As long as it isn't 95 outside which makes The Stone almost as hot inside.

I had the privilege of catching the duo on their first stop of their tour in Cleveland. I'm barely familiar with Tom Rainey and had only heard about 2 or 3 minutes of Ingrid Laubrock on a YouTube clip of the duo, so I was going into it with a pretty clean slate.

The opening act took the stage an hour late, which meant that Laubrock and Rainey didn't start their set until about 10 minutes to 11. Despite the late time and the fact that they had made the long drive from New York to Cleveland, the duo played an energetic, nearly hour-long set before an enthusiastic crowd. Rainey is very creative and unpredictable, yet he is a surprisingly melodic drummer. Laubrock is a muscular and dynamic saxophonist who matches up quite effectively with her husband. Despite her instrumental prowess and ability to use some extended techniques, she was very musical throughout and not just during the more lyrical moments of her solos.

I'd recommend seeing them to anyone with even the slightest interest in adventurous music. It's not very common for an avant-garde group to embark on a lengthy stateside tour, and this duo richly deserves some support. I'm looking forward to listening to the new duo disc, and I hope to catch them in concert again.

Nice description Justin, I think it describes them very well.

they are gonna be in town tomorrow.Constellation.

For the second set, the duo will be joined by:

Tomeka Reid - cello

Katherine Young - bassoon

Katherine Young is a terrific bassoonist. I've been encouraging people to check out her "Pretty Monsters" CD, if you like avant music. That quartet should be a killer set; would love to see them. BTW, which town Uli?

Nice description Justin, I think it describes them very well.

they are gonna be in town tomorrow.Constellation.

For the second set, the duo will be joined by:

Tomeka Reid - cello

Katherine Young - bassoon

Katherine Young is a terrific bassoonist. I've been encouraging people to check out her "Pretty Monsters" CD, if you like avant music. That quartet should be a killer set; would love to see them. BTW, which town Uli?

Chicago