Are free jazz ringtones really free?

Just got an IPhone 4 and would like to add some jazz ringtones. Went to a so-called "free jazz ringtones" site, found some appealing ones, started the "send to your phone" process and when I clicked on "terms" noticed that fees were involved (about $15 per six months for three downloads). Am I missing something here, or is there in fact a way to get decent jazz ring tones either for free or at a more nominal cost? I'm not trying to be a freeloader here, so to speak -- just want to know what the lay of the land is, trying to be safe, want to have, say, Mobley's "Smokin'" as my ringtone, etc.

No free lunches, no free ring tones. Yes, most of those sites tie you to some contract, which can get expensive and/or annoying. Have you tried iTunes?

Also, labels will sometimes offer ringtones to promote their catalog. Don't know if Blue Note does, but maybe worth checking. Let me know if you find any Brotzmann ring tones ^_^

No free lunches, no free ring tones...

That's not necessarily true. Larry, would you be willing to share the link to the site you found? We can check it out and give you more specific feedback, as well as offer some suggestions on where you can find what you're looking for.

That's not necessarily true. Larry, would you be willing to share the link to the site you found? We can check it out and give you more specific feedback, as well as offer some suggestions on where you can find what you're looking for.

This is the site:

http://audiko.net/

I'll probably go the ITunes route.

I downloaded an app called Ringdroid for my old phone and sliced out "Hey, Hey, You, You," from the Stones Get Off My Cloud for notifications, and the "Women, Women, Women" aside from an album track on Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey. Both were pretty cool for a while but did get intrusive on occasion. The Stones came over with my memory chip to the new phone, but Van seems to have not made it. Most of the time it's set for vibrate. Woody Shaw's Obsequious or Freddie Hubbard's Jodo would yield attention getting theme fragments from the jazz side.

Edited by randyhersom

This is the site:

http://audiko.net/

I'll probably go the ITunes route.

When I clicked on one of the ringtone choices, my WOT add-on (a safe-browsing tool) blocked my entry with the following warning: "This website appears on a third-party blacklist". Definitely sounds like something to avoid.

BTW, transferring "Taxi War Dance" from my ITunes library to my IPhone turned out to be a counter-intutive process of many steps that almost defeated me and my quite familiar with IPhones and similar devices, virtually unfazeable13-year-old stepdaughter -- this hassle unlike virtually everything else I've done on Mac-based devices. I mentioned this later on to my very computer-savvy 38-year-old son, who said that Apple configured the process that way because they, and everyone else in the field, want people to pay for their ringtones.