David Letterman announces his retirement in 2015

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I posted elsewhere:

"Letterman's all-purpose slathered-on irony often annoyed me, and he never was very funny IMO, but there were a number of moments of useful genuine strangeness, e.g. when Emo Phillips was a guest or when Dave's mom paid a visit. Also, one felt that Letterman, armored though he was, was an actual human being. Fallon, Kimmel et al., no."

P.S. I did a longish, face-to-face interview with Letterman for the Chicago Tribune magazine in his agent's office in L.A. when rumors of Carson's retirement were in the air and Letterman was a rumored possible replacement. Dave was understandably wary, but we got along well after a while; he was damn smart. His agent was named Marty.

BTW, at that point in his life/career Dave was a great admirer of Jay Leno, who was the reining standup king of the LA comedy clubs and elsewhere and who had taken Letterman under his wing when he arrived in town from Indianapolis -- Jay having detected that the then inexperienced Letterman probably had what it took. Difficult to recall these days, but the young Leno could be very funny, especially when he was in a position to be spontaneous.

Was Jay's generosity/niceness wholly genuine? Having been on the receiving end of some of it myself around that time, I could sense that it might to some degree be defensive or manipulative -- i.e. he was perhaps being nice to people to whom it might be to his advantage to be nice -- but if so, his niceness was quite empathetic/ specifically tailored to who one was.

Just my opinion, but I found the guy a smarmy mediocrity. Plus he stole some of his early bits from Steve Allen, who was much funnier and a true innovator.

As you can tell, I won't miss him.

Letterman has to be one of the most polarizing entertainers in the business. I always liked him, but being an early riser for the past decade I haven't seen his show in a long, long time.

So, I'm not sad to see him go, but I did enjoy the nearly two decades I watched his show.