Yo La Tengo

John B

I can't believe that we have three Spacemen 3 fans here. Usually when I mention them, I get a blank look from people. They were a huge influence on me musically for a long time.

Playing With Fire is really good. I think both of these albums are essential.

PERFECT PRESCRIPTION, baby!

And you beat me to it with one of your following posts... I was going to make the same comment about the TAKING DRUGS album title.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go back to SUMMER SUN. It didn't grab me the way the past several records have... but I still love 'em. I saw them open for My Bloody Valentine at the Vick in Chicago in '92... they were doing mostly quiet acoustic stuff and some drunken jocko beside me kept yelling for them to "play some rock 'n roll!" Finally Ira looked up irritably and said, "Shut the fuck up!"

They're also a band that seems to be aging gracefully in terms of the music that they make.

Anybody out there dig The Flaming Lips? I bought Zaireeka recently and I'm having fun with it. For those unfamilar with this, it's a 4CD set which contains parts of the same songs on each separate disc. You can play any combination of the discs on up to 4 stereos and experience something different each time.

• 1 year later...

up....

g70528rouct.jpg

For anyone interested, YLT just put out a compilation last month, called "Prisoners of Love". It's available in a standard 2 disc version, or a 3 disc set, with the bonus disc. The third disc includes "unreleased tracks, rare single sides, demos, and remixes".

I just ordered the 3 disc version from Newbury Comics (via amazon.com mktplace) for $14.42 plus shipping, looking forward to it!

I have all of the tracks on discs 1 and 2 as well as many from disc 3, so I can't really justify buying it. But it's all great stuff that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Especially nice to see "Shaker," the comp's opening track, back in print. For the longest time it was only available on a now out of print EP and the soundtrack to Hal Hartley's Amateur. Also dig the Half Japanese cover, "Ashes on the Ground," from the similarly great From a Motel 6 EP.

[Post-script: Y'know, looking at the track list of disc 3 just now it seem I have less of that material then I thought. Too bad, because there's no way I'm paying for two discs of greatest hits that I already own just to get the one disc of stuff I don't have. Hopefully they issue that third disc individually later -- but I doubt it. :( ]

YLT are one of my favorite rock bands. I've been collecting their stuff since PAINFUL and they've matured into one of the great trios in the genre. YLT performed twice at the old Reptile House in Grand Rapids and both times they were into the revved up feedback mode. I also caught them in Detroit at the Majestic on the "quiet" AND THE UNIVERSE... tour, that included the New Zeland guy from The Clean, David Kilgour and Superchunk's Mac filling out the band's sound. They also did a great concert at The New Intersection in GR this fall on their Swing State Tour, with a political comedian and Damon and Naomi and some musicians from Slumber Party jamming with them. They ended the night with a rousing Nuclear War, with everyone on stage. Great band.

up....

g70528rouct.jpg

For anyone interested, YLT just put out a compilation last month, called "Prisoners of Love". It's available in a standard 2 disc version, or a 3 disc set, with the bonus disc. The third disc includes "unreleased tracks, rare single sides, demos, and remixes".

I just ordered the 3 disc version from Newbury Comics (via amazon.com mktplace) for $14.42 plus shipping, looking forward to it!

We've got a radio sampler we've been playing quite a bit on the morning show here. Great band and a well-done retrospective with a bit of something for everyone to judge by the sampler. I prefer the softer, more acoustic stuff, but loud guitars just kinda got old for me at some point. Or was it me that got old?

--eric

• 11 months later...

...up again.

YLT have a new CD that's only available at their website, much like "Sounds of the Sounds of Science".

This new one is called "Yo La Tengo is Murdering the Classics"

murderingtheclassics_big.jpg

"They said it shouldn't be done, but we did it anyway. Starting in 1996, we've made an annual visit to WFMU during their fundraising marathon. People who pledge money to the station while we're on get to make a request, and we try to play it. And guess what? It's not that easy. Yo La Tengo Is Murdering the Classics is a 70-minute compilation drawn from 1996-2003, a Best-of, or Best-of-the-Worst, or Worst-of-the-Best, or . . . oh, what's the use, it's dreadful. No song titles will be provided, don't ask. Beautiful cover art by Adrian Tomine. Order at your own risk. No refunds."

I just ordered it. I found a list of the tunes on a newsgroup, and will post it if anyone's interested. Looks warped but interesting!!

• 4 months later...

New YLT album due out on 12 September, titled "I am not afraid of you and I will beat your ass" :D

yo_la_tengo_ole-692.jpg

Appear to be soundclips on their website, matador records, and YLT's myspace page...

BF - That last one is a fun listen, but it's really off the cuff type stuff, so probably won't get that many spins, but it is still enjoyable.

• 6 months later...

I started with the 3-disc PoL collection and it's about all I've listened to for the last few months. The thing I love about their music is how much it grows on you. This is especially true of BEAT YOUR ASS. It's taken me a full month to really get into it, "Pass the Hatchet" notwithstanding, where they come damn close to out-Sonic-Youthing Sonic Youth! :g

• 10 years later...

Saw them semi-recently in New York with an improvising ensemble joining them onstage for two sets -- Roswell Rudd, Mary Halvorson, Taylor Ho Bynum, Vincent Chancey, Daniel Carter, etc. -- and it was superb. Still hard to imagine buying one of their records again but watching them disassemble their own songs, sometimes unsuccessfully, gave me a clearer idea of what they are capable of. 

yeah, the early records are pretty different -- basically sound like The Clean, or any page out of the Dunedin scene.