Severino Gazzelloni - What's Available In The Marketplace?

JSngry

just checked my own files ... haven't started exploring it, but he's on several compositions on this:

41ZK1FVPHVL.jpg

50 Jahre Neue Musik in Darmstadt - Internationale Ferienkurse für Neue Musik 1946–1996 (4 CD, col legno)

few copies around, it seems:

http://www.amazon.de/50-Jahre-Neue-Musik-Darmstadt/dp/B000024ST8

full details:

http://www.internationales-musikinstitut.de/media/com_form2content/documents/c1/a442/f14/Darmstadt1996.pdf

Jim, keep your eye open for this collection on the Ermitage label:

$T2eC16ZHJF8E9nnC8GkcBQ!cC%28n8%28!~~60_

It's got Baroque through contemporary pieces, including Varese's "Density 21.5." A Canadian seller has it on Ebay right now - you might not want to pay that much, but this is one to look for.

The kind of thing that probably inspired Dolphy is on this 1960s Time/Mainstream album, which is excellent:

$_57.JPG

You're pretty good at sniffing out vinyl; go to it. I have both of these and recommend them.

Edited by jeffcrom

apparently, some "modern" recordings of Gazzeloni are on the first three discs of Vol 1 here:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2006/Dec06/Boulez_Domaine_4769209_4768862.htm

Didn't know these had been reissued. I had much of it on vinyl years ago and ordered the 2 sets last night. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Not sure if this is referenced in the links above, but he's all over vol. 3 of The New Music compilation on RCA Victrola from 1968: http://www.discogs.com/Nono-Fukushima-Berio-Lehmann-Rome-Symphony-Orchestra-Bruno-Maderna-The-New-Music-Volume-3/release/2930372

I forgot about that one - I've got it as well. Need to give it a listen.

The kind of thing that probably inspired Dolphy is on this 1960s Time/Mainstream album, which is excellent:

$_57.JPG

You're pretty good at sniffing out vinyl; go to it. I have both of these and recommend them.

Just got a copy of the Time album (on Mainstream)...from an Amazon seller in Georgia...and my copy has that same Roulette sticker on it..how 'bout that! Not exactly cheap, but it's for items like this that letting those other $20 deal-breakers actually break the deal

The pressing is fairly clean as far as those things go/went, and I'm trying to imagine the impact his had amongst whoever was listening to it at the time in terms of hardcore flute playing.

Even today, damn. I have to think that this is important music, on several levels. Has ANY of the Time Series 200 material seen an reissue outside of those Mainstream LPs, legit or otherwise?

Would anybody happen to know the CD disposition of that Victrola material, all three volumes of it? Either as a set or re-positioned?

Also, why did RCA go all "Victrola" for that instead of Red Seal?

They were trying to compete with Nonesuch and Turnabout. Columbia was issuing Feldman, Carter, Boulez etc on Odyssey.

• 2 weeks later...

Backtracking for a moment to the recordings in the Domaine Musical box. The CD box is expensive and hard to find. But look for the old Vox Turnabout budget LP of one of the recordings therein, Boulez's 'le marteau sans maitre.' It's pretty easy to find in the used bins, and Gazzelloni is tearin' it up.

Edited by Spontooneous