John Blake Jr. 1947-2014

HolgerFreimutSchrick

That McCoy Tyner Quintet with John Blake, Gary Bartz, John Lee or Gerald Veasley, and Wilby Fletcher that I was fortunate to see several times was an electrifying group. I also recollect a strong appearance at the Caravan of Dreams in 1986, leading his own group, playing the music from his Gramavision releases in versions superior to the somewhat overproduced albums.

I also remember that fantastic McCoy Tyner Sextet, I think it was around 1980. He can also be heard on the album "Horizon"

The lineup I saw was in 1981/82 and had (in addition to John Blake) Joe Ford, McCoy, John Lee and Wilby Fletcher. Around the time they did those Elektra Musician LPs. I've got the feeling I went back for the second night and also remember Blake wearing a very striking white suit.

The album 'Horizon' gives a very good indication of how they sounded and the excitement of that gig.

Edited by sidewinder

I've only heard John Blake on Tyrone Brown's Song of the Sun and Avery Sharpe's Legends and Mentors, but he was an excellent violinist. I'll have to check out the albums he did with McCoy Tyner. He must've been proud of Johnathan, who is one of the top young drummers on the scene. Rest in peace, Mr. Blake, and thank you for the music.