RVGs - March 23, 2004

street singer

Just picked up At the Half Note Cafe in a store today. Ever since I got the Byrd/Adams Mosaic (about 3 or 4 years ago) I've been wanting this! About time it came out, and it doesn't disappoint----I've only listened to disc #1 so far, but this is GOOD! Adams, in particular, burns. :tup:party:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Half Note Doubletime was already out when the Box was put together. It would be nice to have it all in there, but I guess they didn't really need to have the two overlap on the market. Of course later on they did RVG Byrd In Hand, so who knows what the MO was.

Yes, the Mosaic is all the studio albums, but NOT this. Kind of an annoying omission, but then I wouldn't have the joy of getting the live set now, with all its extra tracks. So it all works out. Kind of.

I have had this one for some time and agree that it is a very good session. What are the extra tracks on the RVG?

Thanks

there are no additional tracks on the rvg that were not on the 1997 mcmaster reissue. that 2cd set featured 5 tracks that were not on the original albums: Child's Play, Soulful Kiddy, Chant, Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, and Theme From Mr. Lucky. interestingly, several online sources indicate that the track sequence on the rvg is different from that of the mcmaster. is this true?

Edited by jazzshrink

there are no additional tracks on the rvg that were not on the 1997 mcmaster reissue. that 2cd set featured 5 tracks that were not on the original albums: Child's Play, Soulful Kiddy, Chant, Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, and Theme From Mr. Lucky. interestingly, several online sources indicate that the track sequence on the rvg is different from that of the mcmaster. is this true?

On the new RVG the bonus tracks are included on the ends of the original programs. On the McMaster they are right smack dab in the middle. I guess it really dosent matter but it I guess depends on the individual listener. ;)

On the new RVG the bonus tracks are included on the ends of the original programs. On the McMaster they are right smack dab in the middle. I guess it really dosent matter but it I guess depends on the individual listener. ;)

I assume that the McMaster version is sequenced in performance order. (I don't have my copy nearby to check.) That's the way I'd prefer it in this case, though if it weren't a live recording I'd prefer it sequenced like the original albums but with the extra tracks at the end.

I assume that the McMaster version is sequenced in performance order. (I don't have my copy nearby to check.) That's the way I'd prefer it in this case, though if it weren't a live recording I'd prefer it sequenced like the original albums but with the extra tracks at the end.

Eh...po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to!!!

:o

I recently purchased some of the March 23, RVG's. So far, Newk;s Time, Cape Verdean, and Conquistador. Just want to say that I am quite pleased with the Cecil Taylor. This is new music for me and I am enjoying it very much. I know there was some discussion among the board as to whether this one should not have been released as a Conn instead of an RVG. Probably still open for debate, but to the extent this one gets a broader audience as an RVG, I think that is a good thing. It is very free, but interesting on a first listen.

That's it, FWIIW.

Couldn't find CONQUISTADOR at my local store, which I went in seeking, so picked up NEVER LET ME GO instead - and it's sounding mighty fine in this RVG remastering! Love what these RVGs do with the BN organ jazz dates, it's either the 24 bit process or something that just allows layers more of the B-3's complex, lovely sound (particularly the bottom end) to show through.

This always has been one of my fave of Stanley's albums with Shirley Scott, they just sound sooooo relaxed and in the pocket.

Scored BIG TIME at Amoeba today. In the new releases section, I found a copy of "Free Form" and "Live at the Half Note". Both with the seal still on top and both for $7.99!

BTW, they basically just switched the DVD and jazz/classical sections in the SF store. If anything, they may have a larger selection of jazz. It's just that it's noisier because it's now on the main floor instead of it's own room.

Has someone heard the new RVG of Sonny Rollins "Newk's time"?

I received it today and thought there was something wrong with my ears or my hifi set, because the stereo balance was leaning heavily to the left channel. A brief switch to a mono CD and I was reassured that both were ok and that the fault was with the new remastering.

The saxophone, piano and bass come out of the middle and the drums are spread between the middle and the left channel. There is nothing on the right channel to balance this, so the whole sound is coming from the left half of the speaker basis. The old McMaster version was balanced normally in this respect.

Apart from that, the new remastering is much more dynamic, especially on the drums, but is also a bit on the bright side (cymbals).

Edited by Claude

I received it today and thought there was something wrong with my ears or my hifi set, because the stereo balance was leaning heavily to the left channel. A brief switch to a mono CD and I was reassured that both were ok and that the fault was with the new remastering.

The saxophone, piano and bass come out of the middle and the drums are spread between the middle and the left channel. There is nothing on the right channel to balance this, so the whole sound is coming from the left half of the speaker basis. The old McMaster version was balanced normally in this respect.

Apart from that, the new remastering is much more dynamic, especially on the drums, but is also a bit on the bright side (cymbals).

Some serious "apart from that" it sounds like. Recalls that first RVG batch and the "Something Else" title where the spread was screwy to me. So this looks like a no go for the upgrade and they probably did not tweak the end cut job on "Tune Up" either.

I was really lucky and received my 03/09 batch on 03/10. I just got the 03/23 batch today, guess things had to balance out.

I'm playing Cape Verdean Blues right now. Henderson is tearing things up on Nutville. Pretty good stuff so far. I can't wait to get to the rest of this batch as it will be my first exposure to most of the music.

Anyone notice the extra track on disk #1 of Byrd's "Half Note" set? The liner show 7 tracks (including the intro), but there are 8 on the CD.

Later ...

I just realized that it's a different version of "Pure D. Funk" - track #6 on disk 1.

Edited by BFrank

I read this post before I listened to the disc. Even with the prior knowledge of the left-leaning mix I have to say it didn't bother me as much as I would have thought.

The left channel is definitely favored, but it there's enough going on in the middle and to a lesser degree on the right to keep it from sounding too awkward.

I got this batch this weekend and really love the sound on these. This may be my FAVORITE batch of RVGs, sonicswise; I think he did a great job.

The Newk's Time I think must have been one of the earliest stereo efforts, and he didn't get it right, for sure. Occasionally I get some bass notes out of the right channel but that is just about it. However I must say that Rollins sounds pretty scarily real at times! It's good sound, maybe it would have been better to use the mono reel! (I bet Michael had to keep Rudy from doing so!)