Double jazz solos

David Ayers

Just to help me with something I am trying to think about, can anyone think of examples of two bop lead instruments soloing simultaneously? By which I mean, we are used to simultaneous soloing over simple structures, as in early jazz, and we are used to simultaneous soloing over modes, chords, or over no set harmony, as in free jazz, but are there examples of joint soloing over highly complex chorus structures?

Don't have time to dig into specific examples from YouTube, but didn't various Dave Holland groups often have two soloists going at the same time? (Thinking of Kenny Wheeler and Steve Coleman together -- in Holland's group -- in particular.)

Or Greg Osby and Gary Thomas on Gary's 1998 album "Pariah's Pariah"?

Neither were totally 'free' contexts, though neither conservative either.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

If good taste and/or real-time simultaneity are not deal-breakers, here ya' go (once the alto solo is over)!

Let's hear it for arranger Mike Abene. Alto solo by Lanny Morgan.

Truth be told, that's a very good album by a very good band (as I know you know), anachronistic though it was becoming, claustrophobic as it might have been feeling from a lot of different perspectives.

If good taste and/or real-time simultaneity are not deal-breakers, here ya' go (once the alto solo is over)!

Let's hear it for arranger Mike Abene. Alto solo by Lanny Morgan.

Truth be told, that's a very good album by a very good band (as I know you know), anachronistic though it was becoming, claustrophobic as it might have been feeling from a lot of different perspectives.

It was a lucky day for me when I found a used copy of that one. Got to know Abene a bit when he was Chris Connor's accompanist and then when writing the notes for a fine album by singer Anita Gravine, "Welcome to My Dream," for which he wrote some remarkable big band arrangements -- in the Gil Evans class but all Abene. Quite a guy.

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-My-Dream-Anita-Gravine/dp/B000005HJN/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1416284736&sr=1-2&keywords=Anita+gravine

• 2 weeks later...