More dumbass worship of MJ

More proof of how clueless Rumsfeld is. Why give this to Jordon who did jack for the victims of 9/11? This worship of Jordon is going to sickening levels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Before his final home game as an NBA player, Michael Jordan received a flag from Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld at center court.

It was the only bit of ceremony preceding Jordan's final home appearance Monday with the Washington Wizards, for whom he has played two seasons in his second comeback. A bigger tribute was planned to follow the game, with the details kept secret.

Rumsfeld, who received a loud ovation, presented Jordan with a flag that flew over the Pentagon on the one-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. Jordan cradled the flag in his right hand with head bowed during the national anthem before tipoff of the game against the New York Knicks.

Jordan's introduction during the starting lineups was a letdown, with the cheers not much greater than the ones for Rumsfeld. The MCI Center crowd gave Jordan a standing ovation that lasted a mere 25 seconds, some 3½ minutes shorter than the one he received in his final game at Chicago earlier this season.

Then again, Jordan himself tried not to make a big deal out of the game, with his greater focus on what he says will be his final NBA game ever -- Wednesday's season finale at Philadelphia.

"It's just another night really,'' Jordan said after the morning shootaround. "I know that this is my last home game in Washington, D.C., and that is something I definitely will treasure, but I woke up this morning and I thought that there was this certain feeling that I should be feeling -- and I had breakfast, coffee, did my normal stuff -- and nothing seems out of the ordinary.''

Guest Mnytime

Hey I am one of Magic's biggest fans but the Greatest ever were two other former Lakers, Wilt than Kareem. They where so dominating they changed rules to try to stop them. While for Jordan they changed rules to help him by making it easier for him to score.

I would put Magic at #3 in the top 5 ever with Jordan and Bird rounding out the top 5 players of all time. The next 5 would be West, Robertson, Baylor, Russell, Hakeem.

I think it was a major mistake for Jordan to come back. He hurt the Wizards more than he helped them. If he didn't play last year for one they most likely would have been in the Yao Ming lottery and finally had a big man. Also, by Jordan playing and their trying to win the Playoffs now it stunted the growth of the younger players like Kwame Brown who where forced to sit on the bench.

In the mean time Chicago threw their young players to the wolves and they are finally starting to show signs of living up somewhat to the hype. Kwame is 2 years behind Chandler and Curry in development from having to sit so much.

Edited by Mnytime

Lakers fans are amusing in their myopia. I still remember MJ running rings around Magic in the Bulls first championship season. MJ, quite rightly, was voted the ESPN athlete of the century and and vast majority of unbiased basketball fans would say Michael Jordan is the "greatest ever". Not even any doubt.

Guest Mnytime

That's because most fans never saw Wilt play. All they know is what they have seen recently. Wilt averaged 50 pts a game for a whole season while rebounding 20-25 per game. When he wasn't busy leading the NBA for scoring and rebounding he was also the first and only Center to lead the NBA in assists.

Fans today are in love with the dunk and know very little about basketball just like most players today, which is why shooting is at an all time low. Everyone is so in love with the dunk because of Jordan and ESPN that no one bothers to work on their shot.

Jordan never made another player better like Magic did. It took Jordan 7 years to learn how to play with others. He didn't know the concept of team player. Magic was winning championships from his first year in the NBA against much better teams than Jordan ever had to play against. The Lakers of the 80's would have wiped out Jordan's Championship teams and it would have been easy.

The Lakers had 3 of the 50 Best in NBA history on those 80's teams. To the Bulls one. Pippen if voted on now would not have been nominated. As he has shown his is nothing but a side kick who needed Jordan.

The Bulls Championships where against a bunch of left over teams that would have never made the Championship in the 80's. Even the Lakers team the Bulls beat for the Championship was over the hill and Magic most likely had HIV at the time. Even as bad as a team as that Lakers team was in comparision to past Lakers teams Magic was still able to get them into the NBA. Something Jordan was never able to accomplish. The main players on all the Bulls runs where all in their primes while the Lakers of that team where on the downside of their careers.

I don't consider a player that the NBA changed their defensive rules to make it easier for him to score and harder to defend the Best player to ever play. A good many of today's most basic rules where put into place to try to stop Wilt because no one could stop him. Even Bill Russell could not stop him. The Celtics teams didn't bother trying. Instead they stopped the rest of the team around him, which is all the Lakers teams would have been able to do easily against Jordan's Bulls.

It also helped the Bulls that the Pistons finally got old enough for the Bulls to beat them.

The Lakers had to play against teams that would win Championships themselves like the Celtics, the 76ers and Pistons. While the Bulls played a bunch of patsies that where a joke in comparision.

Edited by Mnytime

When the Braves were in Buffalo, I was a huge NBA fan. Bob MacAdoo, Jack Marin, Randy Smith, Tom McMillen, Jim McMillian, Gar Heard, Ernie DiGregorio, Adrian Dantley - they had some great teams and players back in the day. From the time of their departure 'til the mid 90s I was more of a casual fan. Now I rarely watch.

My favorite of all time is Wilt, followed by Kareem as a close second. I'd rank Bird and Magic as a tie for 3rd. After that, I have a number of favorites none of whom stands out from the others. That list includes West, Baylor, Oscar Robertson, Jordan, Bill Russell. I was a big fan of the Willis Reed/Walt Frazier/Bill Bradley/Dave DeBusher (sp)/Dick Barnett(with that crazy looking jump shot) Knicks, though none in and of themselves were great enough to make an individual top 10.

I was a big fan of the Bulls back in the Jerry Sloan, Bob "Butterbean" Love, Chet "the Jet" Walker, Tom Boerwinkle, Bob Weiss days.

That's because most fans never saw Wilt play. All they know is what they have seen recently. Wilt averaged 50 pts a game for a whole season while rebounding 20-25 per game. When he wasn't busy leading the NBA for scoring and rebounding he was also the first and only Center to lead the NBA in assists.

I don't consider a player that the NBA changed their defensive rules to make it easier for him to score and harder to defend the Best player to ever play. A good many of today's most basic rules where put into place to try to stop Wilt because no one could stop him. Even Bill Russell could not stop him. The Celtics teams didn't bother trying. Instead they stopped the rest of the team around him, which is all the Lakers teams would have been able to do easily against Jordan's Bulls.

Mnytime - I'm not going to deny the fact that Wilt was a mofo, but wouldn't you say at least part of the reason he racked up such gaudy stats was because the centers back in the 60s and 70s aren't even close to being as consistently good as those from, say, the 90s. OK, there was Bill Russell, but really who else could really compare to Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, 'Zo, and Mutumbo in terms of defensive ability in blocking shots, altering shots, etc.

It's hard to really compare eras, though, but I think if Wilt played during the 90s, it would be hard to believe he could put up the same kind of numbers.

Guest Mnytime

Actually I don't think much for centers of late. Of those I would rank highly would only be Shaq and Hakeem.

The levels of centers now is about as good as when Wilt was playing. It's always been that way which is why finding good big men never mind great ones.

There is usually 1-2 great Centers at a time and a few good ones and than it drops off severly from there.

Wilt had Russely and a few others to contend with and because there wasn't so many times they had to play against each other a lot more than currently occurs between the best players. They NBA is really diluted these days. Way to many that would never have made the league just 20 years ago are playing.

Players and teams where a lot better just 20 years ago to now. With so many teams no in the NBA it has allowed many that would never made the leauge. Just like expansion in Baseball has led to a lot more HR's than ever before because so many pitchers that would never been in the league are now pitching.

Even if Jordan scores more than Magic though Magic could score just as much if he really wanted to and it was needed but he was more interested in getting the whole team involved. That still would have left Kareem and Worth to deal with for the Bulls and I am sorry Pippen is no match to Worth and Cartwright and Purdue are a joke in comparision to Kareem. Kareem at 40 on his last legs was more dangerous than either of those two. Nothing the Bulls would have or could have stopped Kareem and what was known as the most dangerous shot in the history of the NBA. The hook shot. I honestly don't know why more big men don't use it. You can't defend against it.

Kareem was so dangerous that he was the first player that Wilt had to defend that he would ask help in hopes of trying to stop him.

Oh, in regards to Robinson. I think he is way too soft to be considered with the top centers.

If Bill Walton had a long enough career I would put him as a top 5 center. Personally I don't think he belongs in the NBA HOF based on a couple of years.

Another thing about Wilt and Kareem. Unlike Jordan all their points came without the 3pt shot. I think Kareem made 1-3 in his whole career in the limited time he played in the 3pt era. The 3pt shot pads a lot of players average including Jordan's these days.

The Jordan of the Wizards is basically the same Jordan of the first 7 years of the Bulls. Not a team player who doesn't improve the other players but now he is too old to carry a team on his own like he could during a regular season.

Ed:

I agree about how great McAdoo. It amazes me that Dantley & Dominuqe (sp) weren't one of the 50 best but Pippen was.

The Sportscenter 50 Best Athlethes of the Century was considered a joke when they first announced the 50. Honestly I would put Babe Ruth or Ali as the Best of the last century. Can you imagine how big those two would have been in today's 24hrs news and sports world. The most well known athlete in the world is still Ali and he hasn't fought anyone in 25 years. With all the Hype around Jordan he only comes in second.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

One final point. I don't think much of the current Lakers Championship teams either in comparision to the 80's Lakers. Just like the Bulls of the 90's the Lakers run has been against one joke after another. If anything even more of a joke than the Bulls run. This Lakers team wouldn't be able to handle either the Lakers or Celtics Championship teams from the 80's.

McAdoo was an amazing shooter. He had that unorthodox looking jump shot and could fire accurately from 20-25 ft with great consistency. I don't know if there was ever a better outside shooting big man.

What a pleasure to watch and what a disappointment when the owner of the Braves "traded" him to the Knicks for beaucoup amounts of cash and John Gianelli. That was the beginning of the end for the NBA in Buffalo unfortunately.

Soon thereafter the ABA folded and John Y Brown became a partner. He dumped salary and used a lot of marginal ABA players that he had on "personal services contracts" from his days as owner of the Kentucky Colonels. Attendance suffered as the quality of the team dropped. The next thing you know, the Braves were gone.

Guest Mnytime

McAdoo was an amazing shooter.  He had that unorthodox looking jump shot and could fire accurately from 20-25 ft with great consistency.  I don't know if there was ever a better outside shooting big man.

What a pleasure to watch and what a disappointment when the owner of the Braves "traded" him to the Knicks for beaucoup amounts of cash and John Gianelli.  That was the beginning of the end for the NBA in Buffalo unfortunately.

Soon thereafter the ABA folded and John Y Brown became a partner.  He dumped salary and used a lot of marginal ABA players that he had on "personal services contracts" from his days as owner of the Kentucky Colonels.  Attendance suffered as the quality of the team dropped.  The next thing you know, the Braves were gone.

McAdoo had an interesting shot but Jamal Wilkes had an even stranger one. It might have been the weirdest shot I ever saw. Wilkes was so accurate with it, that when he would shoot from the outside Chick Hearn would call it a 20ft layup. :D :D

Wilkes is another player that should have been on the Top 50 list. Everyone comments about Magics 42 pts in the 6th game of the 79-80 Championship against the 76ers when Kareem was injured. Playing all 5 positions while doing it. Something Jordan has never even attempted mind you. ;)

Wilkes was just as important to that win. He scored 37 and shut down Dr. J while doing it.

One final point. The Lakers were so good that McAdoo one of the 50 Best Players had to come off the bench when he would have started on almost every team but the Celtics of that era.

Edited by Mnytime

No disrespect for Jordan,Magic,Dr J,Wilt or Kareem but the athlete of the century should have been Muhammad Ali.

Michael is the greatest basketball player ever, but the athlete of the last century was Babe Ruth.......

Edited by BERIGAN

No disrespect for Jordan,Magic,Dr J,Wilt or Kareem but the athlete of the century should have been Muhammad Ali.

Jim Thorpe? Jesse Owens?

I think there were too many atheletes to pick an athelete of the century, it would be better to pick them by sport:

Basketball:

Wilt (50 and 25 for a season)

Kareem (sky hook, 'nuf said)

Oscar (triple double for a season)

Magic (won NBA title as a rookie, playing all five positions)

Jordan (unstoppable, period)

others: Bill Russell, Jerry West, Dr. J, Zeke, Bird & McHale, Maravich, Moses Malone, Shaq & Kobe, Stockton & Malone...

Baseball:

Babe Ruth

Ty Cobb

Mickey Mantle

Joe DiMaggio

Barry Bonds

others: Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan, I don't know baseball well enough...

Football:

Jim Brown

Joe Montana

John Elway

Walter Payton

OJ Simpson

others: Jerry Rice, Lynn Swann, Johnny Unitas, Mean Joe Green, help me out...

Boxing:

Muhammad Ali

Rocky Marciano

Joe Frazier

Joe Louis

Mike Tyson

others: Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, ???

Skateboarding (for shits and giggles):

Rodney Mullen

Tony Hawk

Steve Caballero

Jamie Thomas

Guy Mariano

others: Steve Alba, Christian Hosoi, Matt Hensley, Erik Koston, Dae Won Song, Bob Burnquist...

Agree/disagree?

Edited by Noj

Why anyone would want to oppose the celebration of Michael Jordon is beyond me. He has more than earned his role as an American icon. He is one of the greatest athletic talents of our time. I can not say whether he was better than Wilt, but I think he was clearly a more dominating player than Magic or Kareem. The Bulls were nothing before or after Jordan. Magic and Kareem were both (arguably) more entertaining to watch, but Jordon was just unstoppable.

Noj, on your baseball list I'd lose Ryan and Rose (both great, but not among "the greats") and add Willie Mays (best CF of all time, hands down) Walter Johnson, Bob Gibson, Sandy Kofax, Rogers Hornsby (probably the best middle IF of all time) and.... well, I'll stop myself. I need to get offline and back to work.

Why anyone would want to oppose the celebration of Michael Jordon is beyond me. He has more than earned his role as an American icon. He is one of the greatest athletic talents of our time. I can not say whether he was better than Wilt, but I think he was clearly a more dominating player than Magic or Kareem. The Bulls were nothing before or after Jordan. Magic and Kareem were both (arguably) more entertaining to watch, but Jordon was just unstoppable.

Noj, on your baseball list I'd lose Ryan and Rose (both great, but not among "the greats") and add Willie Mays (best CF of all time, hands down) Walter Johnson, Bob Gibson, Sandy Kofax, Rogers Hornsby (probably the best middle IF of all time) and.... well, I'll stop myself. I need to get offline and back to work.

You know who EVERYONE forgets? Cy Young...I mean, 511 wins, you gotta be pretty good to do that.....its cuz he played some in the 19th century, right? :angry: so unfair

Edited by BERIGAN

I see that I misspelled Koufax in my last post. Cy Young was obviously a great in his time. It's hard to say whether he was one of "the greats" just because the game has changed so much (from bunt-n-run to slugging, from high mounds to low, from huge parks to small, from a lot of low-velocity long-endurance pitchers to a lot of 95MPH six-inning guys, etc.). But yeah, Young was obviously great at least for the style of baseball in his time, and he may well have been a champion in any era. It's just really hard to know. Is there even any existing footage of him pitching? I don't think I've ever seen any.

Edited by J Larsen

I still, from time to time, take out and watch the CBS broadcast of the 5th and deciding game of the Cavs-Bulls 1st Round series. The excitement never gets old, even after countless viewings. Jordan hits the apparent winner with 6 seconds left ... only to have Craig Ehlo take the lead back with 3 seconds left ... to set up the famous shot at the buzzer by MJ. Coincidentally, ESPN's showing it again now.

As an aside, the game telecast before that game was the 5th game between the Hawks and the Bucks which has to be the one of the dullest games I ever sat through from start to finish. The Bucks, with three key contributors missing, upset the heavily favored Atlanta with Dominique Wilkins, Doc Rivers and Moses Malone.