2015 MLB Season - Let's Play Two!

JSngry

Lots of baseball left for the AL West, most, if not all of it, divisional play. The only thing for sure is that those games will get played, and even at that, that's predicated on the assumption that the sun comes up in the morning, and that, although probably a sure thing, is not an absolute certainty.

Just sayin', shit can happen.

My son asked me if I'd rather face the Yankees for one game or the Jays for a series, and I went with the Jays. He told me I was crazy, and I asked him, ok, you make the post season with hopes of advancing. When do you NOT come up against the Jays? I mean, I know there's scenarios, but realistically?

And besides, would you rather be a legitimate Division "champion" (albeit an overall weak division) or a lameass "second Wild Card team". Have some pride, son, have some pride!

Calling our KC correspondents - what 's this I hear on MLB last night that Greg Holland is experiencing a sudden and disturbing loss of velocity? Is that really a thing, really, and if so, what is Royals Plan B for the post-season?

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yanks are so inconsistent of late--only two starters who are generally reliable are Tanaka and Severino.  Supposedly the brace that CC's now wearing is allowing him to pitch without as much fear of discomfort, so perhaps he'll continue to be less of a liability than he was earlier this season.  Even if NY wins the wild-card death match, I still don't see them getting very far in the playoffs. 

P.S. to Jim's KC query:  what's up with Johnny Cueto?  Though I gather he had a good start the other night... new-league adjustment?  Injury?  Other?

Clever Joe Maddon with the Rays got kind of annoying, but him going full-on gangster (or Palladin, or whatever the hell he's doing with this "we don't start shit, but we DO finish it" thing) with the Cubs is really working for me right now. Cardinals probably get the last laugh, but if a team of devilballers are in the room laughing and I'm not there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Embarrassing game for the Mets on Sunday, mostly due to the Harvey mess.  Of course, if the bullpen does its job and the defense is not so terrible, no one might be making as much an issue as it became.

Onwards and upwards with a win against the hapless Braves last night.

Embarrassing game for the Mets on Sunday, mostly due to the Harvey mess.  Of course, if the bullpen does its job and the defense is not so terrible, no one might be making as much an issue as it became.

Onwards and upwards with a win against the hapless Braves last night.

Could you explain to this West Coaster what the so-called "Harvey mess" is?

I keep reading this in the sporting news and I have no idea what it is about.

Clever Joe Maddon with the Rays got kind of annoying, but him going full-on gangster (or Palladin, or whatever the hell he's doing with this "we don't start shit, but we DO finish it" thing) with the Cubs is really working for me right now. Cardinals probably get the last laugh, but if a team of devilballers are in the room laughing and I'm not there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

GO Cubbies!

Harvey's on an innings limit because of his return from Tommy John surgery.

Any chance the Yanks had at overtaking or even tying the Jays went down the tubes tonight, methinks.  Their pitching has actually been pretty good of late, but the offense seems to go cold every other night.  Sudden-death wild-card, here we come! :ph34r:  But it's been a blast to see the two rookies (Bird and Severino) doing so well.

We feel the same way about the Giants. The call-ups and second stringers have been performing quite well of late.

Jarrett Parker and his three HRs and seven RBIs helped sink the A's yesterday.

The "Odd Year Blues", however, has settled in.

But, ever hopeful, I have tickets to the 4th game of the Giants vs Dodgers series at ATT. Here's hoping for one more sweep.

Edited by Tim McG

Harvey pitched almost 7 innings in the clincher on Saturday. I'm not sure what happened between the Yankee game and last Saturday. Perhaps he decided that he needed to regain control of his career from his agent.  

Glad the Mets won the NL East. Been a long time.

Edited by Tim McG

So we're all conceding the AL to Toronto then?

Good, let's get on with it, effective immediately. I like all bird teams that are not red, and bird vocal groups, period.

Besides, I could use the rest, especially since Oakland seems to have decided to end their season early! :eye: :eye::eye: :eye: :eye:

Ain't gonna be the Rangers, unless one of those feel-good "team of destiny" things REALLY happens (and god, I hate that). They got real hot for a good little bit, but the starting pitching is not for the feint-of-heart.

Assuming that Oakland continues to leave early to beat the traffic again tonight, the Rangers gotta beat the Tigers tonight, and then take 2 of 4 from the Angels to win the division. Micro, that's just having to go 3-5, but in the compressed time frame it now is...you gotta have shutdown pitching to more or less ensure that, and we ain't got that. Other than Hamels (who was off like hell last night, no thanks to a punkass strike zone, but, hey, adjust, ok?) we have a  real "Good (name)" & "Bad (same name)" staff. Even The Inner Colby Lewis (between this guy and Beltre, if guts and character were Cooperstown, the HOF would be in Arlington) is having a career year, the ERA is 4.53. Errrr....You gonna "depend" on Derrek Holland? No, you're gonna HOPE for Derrek to be Good Derrek. Martin Perez? Another inspirational return, but he still has composure issues, and he's not yet back into that righteous groove after the TJ.

It's a far better team than it was at the beginning of the season, the surge was not a fluke, but at some point, all that Pythagorean W-L record stuff does carry some weight, and right now, is this REALLY a 88-90 win team? I mean, if they are, they are, but that pesky "sequencing" thing matters now more than ever. Even if they should, god forbid, lose out and finish 85-77, the season is still a success, a helluva lot better than anybody hoped for. But they'll have finished 85-77 in the worst way possible. If that was offered in March, the congregation would say HELL YEAH, but this ain't March and here we are. Astros play D-Backs, we play the Angels (and really, ANGELS? SURELY not?). This one might get weird...

Next year, Darvish returns, Perez gets the full season, Holland...whatever Holland does, etc. Choo seems to have figured out what went wrong, Beltre is just freaking awesome, mommas, let your babies grow up to be Beltres, please, Elvis finally got his head out of his ass, and I like the kid Odor, he comes to play (still figuring out some things, but he acts like he's gonna be here for a while). Next year looks like some expectations are in order. 

But this year,, like I said, not really a fan of the whole "team of destiny" thing. Jays being 41-14 like that, that ain't destiny, that's skill, and lord knows I love me some skill.

Light that baby up!  One of the great comebacks I've seen all season as the Halos come off the mat, down by 4 runs, to beat the Rangers 11-10.  It at least staves off elimination until the final day of the season. Now, if only the Dbacks could do something against the Astros tonight. 

The crowd was stunned, to say the least.