Ornette Coleman - Beauty is a Rare Thing (2015)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LPs of this material sound good to great. I think I heard the old boxed set at my aunt's house - she's very hip - as well, and noticed no issues with sound on a good stereo.

To Steve's question, as I see it Blackwell definitely had more of a Max Roach thing going, melded with Afro-Caribbean rhythms, and that gives the music a slightly different flavor than what Higgins put forth (although I believe Higgins did take some lessons from Blackwell, to me he sounds a bit more like Kenny Clarke). They're both super clean drummers but with different kinds of clean. To me, however, what ultimately altered the movement of the quartet most was the revolving cast of bassists - Haden, LaFaro, Garrison, all very different. Surely someone has a better analysis than what I feel like typing up right now... calling ep1str0phy!

Listening to "Ramblin'" now and with all due respect to label owners and musicians on this board who've created some truly great art, it is also VERY hard for me to think of anything more musically perfect than this.

I'd agree regarding the bassists - the session with LaFaro is very different from the rest with LaFaro seemingly making it so.

I don't understand the choice between building a collection and attending concerts, as if the two are mutually exclusive avenues. Once your collection gets to a certain size, it becomes impossible to regularly listen to everything. Most of us have probably reached that point. I can't imagine forgoing attending concerts just to add to the pile of music that I won't be able to listen to nearly enough. If it were a purely financial decision, I'd stop buying albums outside of concerts (I consider buying music at concerts as being part of the overall experience).

Speaking for myself, I tend to shop in the bargain bins for older releases and splurge on pricier items when I get a financial windfall. The majority of the newly released albums I purchase are a result of participating in Kickstarter campaigns and directly from musicians at gigs. I frankly don't understand the obsession with re-buying the latest edition of everything unless the new reissue contains bonus material or a prior botched issue has been improved; there is too much music out there that I haven't heard.

As I don't own all of the Ornette Atlantic material, this is a welcome reissue. Even if I did own the prior edition, I'll gladly welcome anything that's intended to commemorate his birthday or otherwise celebrate the man and his music.

It's called a completist fetish, Justin.

I don't get it either, but we all have our quirks, I suppose.

My thoughts exactly!

I don't understand the choice between building a collection and attending concerts, as if the two are mutually exclusive avenues. Once your collection gets to a certain size, it becomes impossible to regularly listen to everything. Most of us have probably reached that point. I can't imagine forgoing attending concerts just to add to the pile of music that I won't be able to listen to nearly enough. If it were a purely financial decision, I'd stop buying albums outside of concerts (I consider buying music at concerts as being part of the overall experience).

To attend concerts I would have to take an expensive trip to Amsterdam on progressively more uncomfortable public transport. Amsterdam is an open sewer where rudeness and anti-social behaviour are the norm. Then I would have to part with even more money to listen to music in a room full of potentially annoying strangers. You'd have to pay me to go through such an ordeal.

To attend concerts I would have to take an expensive trip to Amsterdam on progressively more uncomfortable public transport. Amsterdam is an open sewer where rudeness and anti-social behaviour are the norm. Then I would have to part with even more money to listen to music in a room full of potentially annoying strangers. You'd have to pay me to go through such an ordeal.

sounds like everyone might benefit from your choice ;)

The bolded quote is rich!

You have to wonder if he ever reads his own posts around here.

Fwiw, the audiences where I go in that supposedly nasty city named New York are the most pleasant group of people collectively I've ever been around. Last Saturday night was more of the same. New acquaintances, old friends, the musicians - all were happy, friendly and all had a great time.

At least the above poster gave a reason why they don't go to see live music, as opposite of my regular experiences.

I've gone out to see live music this year and last . . . hasn't been any jazz acts, there haven't been many around and not on nights I could get away and go. Been to see bar bands and dance with my fiancee, and went several times to see a local collective of musicians do Graham Parson tribute nights (a monthly gig that is a lot of fun, good players delighting in honoring an inspiration). My gal and my family members (my social circle) don't want to see jazz. I like other music too.

I'm glad this new set is coming out and available for those who don't have these sides. This music is really something. I'm not really a Coleman completist, this is my favorite Coleman period and the music of his I turn to the most often. Nothing wrong with the mastering on the box set, I just enjoy these as single albums and enjoy looking for a bit better sound.

I like the material with Higgins a bit more than that with Blackwell, as a drummer I just gravitate more towards a Higgins philosophy and approach than a Blackwell, but it's all good.

Edited by jazzbo

Fwiw, the audiences where I go in that supposedly nasty city named New York are the most pleasant group of people collectively I've ever been around. Last Saturday night was more of the same. New acquaintances, old friends, the musicians - all were happy, friendly and all had a great time.

At least the above poster gave a reason why they don't go to see live music, as opposite of my regular experiences.

That's just about the (also reputedly nasty) London experience too. Different strokes I guess but nothing better than great music in a friendly environment. Beats sitting at home with the best recorded music more times than not. The community (even of strangers) of the shared experience certainly works for me

Fuck you.

Is there really any need for this sort of language?...BEHAVE, please!

I've gone out to see live music this year and last . . . hasn't been any jazz acts, there haven't been many around and not on nights I could get away and go.

Nighttown in Cleveland Heights mainly books jazz. I just caught Steve Wilson's group (with George Colligan, Ugonna Okegwo and Bill Stewart) there on Sunday. Recent shows included Bucky Pizzarelli and Donald Harrison with Mike Clark. Upcoming shows include Pat Martino, Larry Coryell, Charlie Hunter and Christian McBride. The Bop Stop on Detroit has been revived since the property was donated to The Music Settlement. They have a very busy schedule, ranging from avant-garde to mainstream. The Music Box Supper Club recently had The Bad Plus and has Ginger Baker lined up. Oberlin, which is less than hour away, recently had concerts by Billy Hart's quartet and John and Gerald Clayton. There is also the upcoming Tri-C JazzFest, where I've caught the likes of Roy Haynes, Randy Weston, Jack DeJohnette and Charlie Haden over the last several years, to name just a few, WRUW posts a jazz calendar that they update weekly on their news page.

Understood Justin, but to be honest I don't feel a big need to see most of those groups, and the real hang is I only have two evenings a week that I am not at my post taking care of my Dad, sometimes three (if there's an unscheduled availability and offer of a substitute on occasion). Those I need to spend with my fiancee whenever possible. She lives in Chardon and doesn't really want to go way east to Cleveland, and rarely I would think for jazz. So I won't be seeing much jazz for a while. I may be changing my duties caregiving for my Dad this summer, I'll be moving in with my fiancee in Chardon, and I may be able to move my Dad somewhere where I am not the major caregiver and have evenings free. . . but I'm still up against the distance and my fiancee's disinterest in that type of music. Which is okay. My years of out late listening to live acts were some years back, they were full, and I can be just fine with my recordings and with more local (Geauga County) musical outings (of a different flavor). I'm 59, and my life is a lot different than when I was 33.

So it's partly my not feeling a burning desire to see many of the acts that are available (and when I say "not many around" around realistically is Geauga County, and that's a true statement), and a severe restriction of available time to go see them. And when I have more time, there is the issue of my partner not being interested, which I frankly am VERY used to in my life.

Edited by jazzbo

Understood Justin, but to be honest I don't feel a big need to see most of those groups, and the real hang is I only have two evenings a week that I am not at my post taking care of my Dad, sometimes three (if there's an unscheduled availability and offer of a substitute on occasion). Those I need to spend with my fiancee whenever possible. She lives in Chardon and doesn't really want to go way east to Cleveland, and rarely I would think for jazz. So I won't be seeing much jazz for a while. I may be changing my duties caregiving for my Dad this summer, I'll be moving in with my fiancee in Chardon, and I may be able to move my Dad somewhere where I am not the major caregiver and have evenings free. . . but I'm still up against the distance and my fiancee's disinterest in that type of music. Which is okay. My years of out late listening to live acts were some years back, they were full, and I can be just fine with my recordings and with more local (Geauga County) musical outings (of a different flavor). I'm 59, and my life is a lot different than when I was 33.

So it's partly my not feeling a burning desire to see many of the acts that are available (and when I say "not many around" around realistically is Geauga County, and that's a true statement), and a severe restriction of available time to go see them. And when I have more time, there is the issue of my partner not being interested, which I frankly am VERY used to in my life.

Understood. I wasn't criticizing you, and I know that you have obligations. I wanted to make sure that you knew about the available options. I thought/assumed that your fiancee was back west, so it's good to hear that she is in Ohio.

Well, I had to break up with my gal back in Texas when I moved out here. We were never engaged, but we would have been if she were less of a workaholic and had a less important job and if we both didn't suddenly have to take responsibility as the head caregiver of our parents and our parents hadn't lived 1500 miles apart. We tried staying together for a year or so but ultimately we set each other free. Neither of us planned to do much about that. After a year and a few months of NO evenings off I finally managed to hire enough help to get two evenings off and looked up some old friends. The first I found was a girlfriend of a former coworker that I hadn't seen since I left for Texas in '80. I thought she would lead me to others I knew. That wasn't the case, but from our first dinner on May 3 last year something clicked and we got closer and closer. . . and I proposed on Valentine's Day. I know a good thing when I find it, and I want to be married again and I have actually enjoyed being out in Geauga County again (my Dad had the church on the square in Burton for 28 years) and she has wonderful little old house out in the woods a half a mile from Bass Lake, a great peaceful setting. I'm looking forward to this next phase of my life.

Well, I had to break up with my gal back in Texas when I moved out here. We were never engaged, but we would have been if she were less of a workaholic and had a less important job and if we both didn't suddenly have to take responsibility as the head caregiver of our parents and our parents hadn't lived 1500 miles apart. We tried staying together for a year or so but ultimately we set each other free. Neither of us planned to do much about that. After a year and a few months of NO evenings off I finally managed to hire enough help to get two evenings off and looked up some old friends. The first I found was a girlfriend of a former coworker that I hadn't seen since I left for Texas in '80. I thought she would lead me to others I knew. That wasn't the case, but from our first dinner on May 3 last year something clicked and we got closer and closer. . . and I proposed on Valentine's Day. I know a good thing when I find it, and I want to be married again and I have actually enjoyed being out in Geauga County again (my Dad had the church on the square in Burton for 28 years) and she has wonderful little old house out in the woods a half a mile from Bass Lake, a great peaceful setting. I'm looking forward to this next phase of my life.

It's funny how things work out sometimes. Congratulations!

Lon I'm pleased things are working out well for yourself.

For myself I'm only occasionally getting to gigs. Four years ago I had a bicycle accident which combined with a medical disaster has left me in chronic pain. The meds I take especially in the evenings leave me pretty exhausted , so going out to concerts assumes a low priority. As it happens quality jazz has become harder to come by here and my medical issues restrict ability to travel. Hence my over indulgence in all physical formats of recorded jazz :)

Wow, sorry to hear about the accident and the chronic pain. I know second-hand how exhausting medications can be, and how that colors the evening hours. We're so lucky we are int the age we are where beautiful music is recorded for our playback whenever we wish.

Lon I'm pleased things are working out well for yourself.

For myself I'm only occasionally getting to gigs. Four years ago I had a bicycle accident which combined with a medical disaster has left me in chronic pain. The meds I take especially in the evenings leave me pretty exhausted , so going out to concerts assumes a low priority. As it happens quality jazz has become harder to come by here and my medical issues restrict ability to travel. Hence my over indulgence in all physical formats of recorded jazz :)

That sounds very tough, sorry to hear that.

I can empathise to a degree as I have a chronic health condition that also restricts my activity levels on a daily basis but not so much my Jazz purchasing levels (despite the consequent part-time salary)

Hey, it's JHR list day :w