Your Favorite AACM Recordings (no limit now)

paul secor

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm far from being an AACM connoisseur but FWIW my three favourites are:

Muhal Richard Abrams w/ Malachi Favors - Sightsong

Anthony Braxton - New York, Fall 1974

Henry Threadgill - This Brings Us To Vol 1

Sightsong is an all time favourite in general, Fall 1974 is just straight up one of the best jazz albums ever, and This Brings Us To Vol 1... i guess we're not in Kansas anymore but yeah play that for anyone who thinks there's nothing going on these days. A monumental record. Gun to my head If i could only keep one record of his that would probably be it and that's saying something.

Ok . Sticking to three

Sound- Delmark

Snurdy McGurdy - Nessa

Air Time--Nessa

Tough to exclude Noonah, People in Sorrow

I realize that it was a dumb idea to place a limit of three recordings on this thread - shouldn't have tried to set any limitations. If anyone wants to list more than three, fine with me. The more the merrier.

Please feel free to include them.

Not favourites per se but I've just listened to these two....

Anthony Braxton - Three Compositions of New Jazz [Delmark]

Anthony Braxton - this time....[bYG/Actuel]

Both are marvellous statements that sound fresh today - I can't imagine what they must have sounded like on release

Both are marvellous statements that sound fresh today - I can't imagine what they must have sounded like on release

Sometimes, when I'm listening to an older record, I think about how it sounded to me when I first heard it and how it's impossible to recapture that impression.

Sometimes, when I'm listening to an older record, I think about how it sounded to me when I first heard it and how it's impossible to recapture that impression.

To me the true sign of a really good recording is , me being as interested/ excited to hear it once again no matter how many times I've played it in the past. Recognising that a recording will have a long shelf life is hard ( for me at least). What makes a recording durable and how to hear that on first acquaintance is why we need good music journalism. Who knew that "People in sorrow " would still capture the imagination 40 yrs on? Did Chuck? I'm guessing he must given the extraordinary strength of the Nessa catalogue.

I find it fascinating hearing what pundits and public made of recordings at the time of initial release . I think I recall correctly that Chris Albertson didn't think much of Bitches Brew. It doesn't matter so much that he was wrong but it helps to understand the context of the music.

Edited by Clunky

To me the true sign of a really good recording is , me being as interested/ excited to hear it once again no matter how many times I've played it in the past. Recognising that a recording will have a long shelf life is hard ( for me at least)

I was referring to the excitement and thrill of hearing a great recording for the first time. I can listen again (and again), but what I heard on that first listen can never be recaptured. For me, that first listen can be similar to hearing live music, even if it's not quite the same. The other side of that is if the music has enough depth, I'll hear things on subsequent listens that I hadn't heard before.

I guess this all pretty obvious stuff, but it just runs through my mind at times.

in the spirit of the more the merrier i am posting two more that i added to my to listen to stack.

the first because last nite i heard younger generation aacm musicians (Nikki Mitchell, Jason AdasieviczTomeka Reid and Mike Reed) honoring the organisation by playing a bunch of tunes/compositions of their elders, they played Braxton,Roscoe,Threadgill Steve McCall Amina Myers and others,

the second because of this thread i was trying to figure out what was the first aacm record i heard; j kinda narrowed it down to a jackson in your house. the attempt sent me down deep my own memory lane. this was all early in my days of music discovery. i vividly remember the days we, all young kids with much more time than money, spent days in the music booths of the biggest music house in the small town i grew up in.. the booths themselves were very hip to me couple of leather fauteuils, nice stereo equipment nicely soundproof individually closed off from the rest of the store. we were more of a raggety group and more tolerated than liked because we did buy records as money allowed. I have to give it up to Krompholz & Co.( even googled them and they still exist. in some other form. apparently they stopped selling records quite some time ago and concentrate on selling instruments and music sheets but they also organize some live jazz events)

Song_for_Mother_E.jpg

7465.jpg

Edited by uli

This one was the first I heard of what I'll somewhat capriciously label NextGen AACM. I responded immediately and continuously (to this day!), and can we please have some more Edward Wilkerson on record if that is a viable possibility? Seems like there was a window open for a while, some things came out, and then it stopped. If the guy's still operating at full strength or anywhere near it, he needs to be heard!

EHE.jpg

and whatever happened to Henry Huff? Him too, as far as that goes.

what Chuck said

Henry Huff died young an before i moved to Chicago i think(1990)

don't know much about availability but just checked the thrill jockey website and these two seem to be available on site

100440.jpg

100000.jpg

did you ever hear this?

MI0001878965.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

i doubt that it's available but it is a particularly fine release with Bankhead. Reggie Nicholson and Rod McGaha on trumpet.

Edited by uli

Got Light On The Path back in the day. Had to get it, one ot those records.

Did not know about those (that?) particular 8 Bold Souls records, though, only have the two Sessoms and Birth Of A Notion (an amazing record in so many ways). Will look for those, believe it.

Got Light On The Path back in the day. Had to get it, one ot those records.

Did not know about those (that?) particular 8 Bold Souls records, though, only have the two Sessoms and Birth Of A Notion (an amazing record in so many ways). Will look for those, believe it.

Last Option is great

The much earlier Ant Farm might be even better

The opening track on Last Option is Ellingtonian in style and Chicagoan in sound

One lucky week about 16-17 years ago on a 3 day business trip, I saw Von Freeman in a quartet with John Young and Eight Bold Souls at the Hot House

Might have been wrapped around my first visit to a place called The Velvet Lounge where I heard Ari Brown mourn the death that day of the great Fred Hopkins

Was the night Fred Anderson called my friend and I a cab to get back to the hotel during a heavy snow storm

Indiana Avenue, baby

Birth Of A Notion (an amazing record in so many ways). Will look for those, believe it.

if you still have it you will see on the back cover a liitle note: join the shadow vignettes fan club wrte to box.... i found that funny and wrote a short semi-serious fan mail to them from zurich.. i got a short semi serious thank you letter back. later in chicago when i got to know him a bit better i knew that he would play funny little jokes like that; i do'nt know when that's normally done but maybe at the beginning of the second set the mc or the bandleader would say that some musicians would like to make some announcements . one or twp would say when and where they can be heard nexi. one would say that he/she has a new cd coming out etc and wilkerson woul say something like I have a microwave for sale. funny cat and an extremely nice guy too.

somebody made a documentary about the shadow vignettes. you can see a excerpt on the tube. i have it somwhere but i am in a situation like you, i am unpacking so i can't give you more info now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLNM4N2WZpg

Edited by uli