300 Low-Price Jazz Masterpieces

Late

300 Low-Price Jazz Masterpieces

The above link was posted in the Blue Note SHM-CD thread, but I thought this new Japanese reissue campaign, coming out in September 2015, deserves its own thread.

A multi-label reissue series, it initially seems something of a mess. Great titles for sure, but likely no new remasters. Still ... what remasters will be used? SHM-CD remasters? Rudy Van Gelder remasters? Are there titles that you'll actually buy? The price is right, no question.

Some titles are more obscure than others, so there's a little — seemingly — for everyone. I'll probably (finally) pick up Blue Mitchell's Blue's Moods. I've lived with the music for some time, but not physical product.

I've never been very impressed by those Vee Jay recordings, musically or soundwise. Far inferior to the recordings on other labels those musicians were doing in the same era. Of course, soundwise, who knows what distant sources my LP's/CD's were mastered from.

... The Fantastic Frank Strozier on Vee Jay ... It's pretty fantastic!

Very much agree. I love that record, particularly the bonus track "Tibbit." And the opening track, "W.K. Blues" (penned by Mr. W.K. himself), was my get-up-in-the-morning track for over a year. That said, what else I've heard from Strozier, which isn't everything, has never quite lived up to the same level of excitement (for me). His participation on McCoy Tyner's Today and Tomorrow, as one example, seems oddly inhibited. On that debut record, however, Strozier is in full voice and very much uninhibited. Doesn't hurt that Booker Little's on the record too. I wish Alfred Lion had found a way (or a desire) to get Strozier onto his label.

I passed on the Mosaic because I already had all the music. Maybe that wasn't the best idea. (All this belongs on a Vee-Jay thread. Then we could also talk about The Beatles' first U.S. album!)

... The Fantastic Frank Strozier on Vee Jay ... It's pretty fantastic!

Very much agree. I love that record, particularly the bonus track "Tibbit." And the opening track, "W.K. Blues" (penned by Mr. W.K. himself), was my get-up-in-the-morning track for over a year. That said, what else I've heard from Strozier, which isn't everything, has never quite lived up to the same level of excitement (for me). His participation on McCoy Tyner's Today and Tomorrow, as one example, seems oddly inhibited. On that debut record, however, Strozier is in full voice and very much uninhibited. Doesn't hurt that Booker Little's on the record too. I wish Alfred Lion had found a way (or a desire) to get Strozier onto his label.

I passed on the Mosaic because I already had all the music. Maybe that wasn't the best idea. (All this belongs on a Vee-Jay thread. Then we could also talk about The Beatles' first U.S. album!)

I tend to agree regarding Strozier. His Vee Jay album is by far the best thing I have heard by him.

His other recordings have left me rather cold.

• 6 months later...