October 18 at IBEAM in Brooklyn (I'm not complaining but....)

now of course I never complain, but am still waiting for one Organissimo member to  show up at a gig - and I know you guys get to NY for things like Visions, etc, even when you can't hear the music from more than 3 feet away and it sounds like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing under water - so - my last NYC thing for a while is an extravaganza created just for you: October 18 at IBEAM in Brooklyn, where the acoustics are good; an all day thing, probably 4-10, sort of an Allen Lowe festival - a recording session/concert - though subject to change, here is the  current lineup:

Ursula Oppens solo piano

Ursula Oppens duo and trio with Allen Lowe and Ken Peplowski

women's project quartet with: Allen Lowe, Shayna Dulberger, Miki Matsuki, Ava Mendoza

women's project piano solo by Kelly Green

quintet with: Allen Lowe, Kirk Knuffke, Kevin Ray, Lewis Porter, Jeremy Carlstedt

Nonet with: Allen Lowe, Bobby Zankel, Paul Austerlitz, Hayes Greenfield, Lou Grassi, Randy Sandke, Kevin Ray, Christopher Meeder, Lewis Porter

hope to see some of you there; more details to come; admission will be very reasonable.

Edited by AllenLowe

• 2 months later...

I just got an email from iBeam with the October calendar. It has the date for this event as October 11th instead of October 18th. Has the date changed. I have held the 18th on my calendar since you announced the event. I am not sure I can make the 11th.

Edit - It must be a mistake in the email, because the website says the 18th.

Edited by relyles

An Evening of Talent Deserving Wider Recognition

Sunday, October 18th 3:00 PM $10 Suggested Donation

Allen Lowe, alto sax and all compositions with:

3 PM: Loren Schoenberg solo piano; Micro-Cosmics, a post-Frank Melrose/Hoagy Carmichael fusion of ersatz modernity in the post-post-modern age of jazz

3: 45 PM Kelly Green solo piano; variations on Mary Lou Williams 1954 solo piece I Loved Him

4:30 PM: Shayna Dulberger bass, Ava Mendoza guitar, Allen Lowe alto, Miki Matsuki, on drums, Paul Austerlitz, clarinet. Lewis Porter piano: a suite on the notion of gender; part of the Mary Lou Williams Suite

5:30 PM Pianist Ursula Oppens in a quartet with Allen Lowe, clarinetist Ken Peplowski, and bassist Kevin Ray; various of Lowe’s original works; on gender; part of the Mary Lou Williams Suite

6: 30 PM: Whores is Funky: A quartet of Allen Lowe on electronics and; Ray Suhy on guitar and banjo; Jake Millett on sampling, electronics, etc. Larry Feldman on violin, Kevin Ray on bass. This is our Americana segment built on pre-war blues and hillbilly song forms.

7: 30 PM: sextet – Allen Lowe, alto; Kirk Knuffke trumpet, Paul Austerlitz clarinet, Kevin Ray bass, Lewis Porter piano; Jeremy Carlstedt, drums. The post-bop world of Mary Lou Williams, Jaki Byard, Barry Harris

8:30 PM: A nine-piece band, with: Lou Grassi, Allen Lowe, Kevin Ray, Hayes Greenfield, Paul Austerlitz, Randy Sandke, Bobby Zankel, Christopher Meeder, Lewis Porter – an ADHD version of a big band. Working Title: The Five Stages of Grief/Meditations on Disintegration (or: The Spectacle of the Spectacle of Death).

• 3 weeks later...

Friday New York Times listing:

★ An Evening of Talent Deserving Wider Recognition (Sunday) Allen Lowe, a saxophonist, composer, music historian and outsider-sage, rallies a range of collaborators for this concert. Stretching seven hours, it features just as many groups, each with a different angle of attack. (One will consist of Mr. Lowe, the clarinetist Ken Peplowski, the pianist Ursula Oppens and the bassist Kevin Ray.) The music is all Mr. Lowe’s, including a grand finale for large ensemble, tentatively titled “The Five Stages of Grief/Meditations on Disintegration.” Starting at 3 p.m., IBeam, 168 Seventh Street, Gowanus, Brooklyn, ibeambrooklyn.com. (Chinen)

I was at the concerts - pretty wide-ranging and fantastic. It's always a great reminder to hear Allen's saxophone playing in person - he's got quite an individual sound, certainly Parkerian but with his own bitter quirks and rhythmic/melodic freedom. My only quibble is actually with Allen's generosity - he gives so much space for musicians to do their own things within the compositional frameworks that one doesn't always get to hear him stretch out as much as one would like. But yes, a fascinating Sunday and his discs deserve equal and prolonged attention.