Freddie Hubbard

According to Allmusic, it has been reissued on CD in 1988, but I couldn't find a trace of that CD on GEMM or other online sources.

This Hubbard discography mentions other CD numbers, but I think those concern other recordings of the same titles (LRC is probably a sampler from the late 80's)

Edited by Claude

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine during the early (1985-87) wave of Polygram GEMA CDs which were briefly distributed stateside prior to establishing U.S. manufacturing plants.

These initial jazz CD titles seemed to be plucked almost randomly from the MPS and Verve catalogs. They all say: "Made in W. Germany by Polygram" and the clear plastic of the jewel cases is extra sturdy.

'The Hub of Hubbard' teams Freddie and drummer Louis Hayes with three members of the Jones-Lewis big band (Eddie Daniels, Roland Hanna, Richard Davis) who were touring Europe in late '69 and had paused in Villingen, Germany to record small-group sessions at MPS. This one cooks the hardest, with 'Just One of Those Things' a ripper at breakneck speed. The dull front cover artwork seems to put some buyers off -- I've had to kick some of my jazz buddys to get them to buy the vinyl. I bought my CD in '87 and would've snagged extras because of the high level of musicianship and the MPS recording quality.

This 1970 album finds Hubbard between his Atlantic and CTI contracts -- just over a month before his sessions for 'Red Clay'. He would not record a straightahead jazz LP again until 1980, when Columbia let him go. ("Free at last!")

• 2 years later...

I have yet to find this on CD -- anywhere. I need to listen to the LP again. I've been so obsessed with finding it on CD, I need to remember whether it's worth seeking like the Holy Grail, or its unavailability has made it more dear to me.

I was never really knocked out by the LP - seemed more mainstream than where Hubbard's head was at during that era, nothing like 'Black Angel' or 'Red Clay' at all. I like Hubbard a lot, but this wasn't high on my list of Hubbards. That being said, I haven't heard it in probably 25+ years, so don't know if it would strike me differently now.

It's some nutty shit, this one is. Everybody sounds buzzed on something or another, shits sloppy like a mofo, tempos are throught the roof on at least one occasion and in multiple places simulataneously on the others, and nobody seems to give a fuck because they're having so much fun.

One of my favorite Hub sides, period. Seriously.