Out of the Cool / Into the Hot
Gil Evans

Passin' Thru / Man of Two Worlds
Chico Hamilton

Things Have Got to Change / The Cry of My People
Archie Shepp

Tranquility / Outertimeinnerspace
Ahmad Jamal

Some interesting stuff there! I've been waiting for 1984, Vista and Things Have Got to Change in particular.

Sweet for sure!  I do wish that, at some point,  they had released Jamal's 'Free Form' and  'Outertimeinnerspace' as a twofer,  since they are from the same concert, but glad to get them in any form.  And I paid a lot of $ for some of these other titles as Japanese imports in past years.

I bought recent budget reissues of the two Marion Browns or I would be all over that one. I'm happy to see the Shepp, Lateef, Jamal and Hamilton releases, as well as the two Sanders as those digipaks from the US are showing their mastering age.

Edited by jazzbo

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bertrand said:

I am thinking of the Shepp. How prominent is Grachan Moncur III on Things Have Got To Change?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

Not at all from what I remember.  Still well worth picking up.  

7 hours ago, bertrand said:

I do plan on picking it up, but I am looking for any recordings Grachan takes extensive solos on. I may have all of those.

Bertrand.

The Shepp's are complete.  This series has been good about that, not like the early 90's chop jobs.  For Moncur, the stuff under his own name, his work with McLean/Hutcherson in the early 60's, and the 70's 'Lee Morgan' album come to mind as good examples of his playing, especially his twoBYG albums.  'New Africa' is the best thing that label ever did to me.  I wish someone would put 'Echoes of Prayer', his work with the JCOA, on CD.

Edited by felser

Neither of those two Shepp sides have really stuck hard with me, but with The Cry Of My People is pretty good, and you do get a couple of Cal Massey pieces (below), always invaluable additions to anything they get included in. My reservations about it are with the recording, same as with Attica Blues (which has stuck hard) , some weird kind of claustrophobic compression-y thing going on, at least on the LPs. They were playing around with some kind of stereo/quad compatibility then (I think?), whatever it was, it actually sounds better on YouTube than it does on the turntable, so, hey, it's Opposite Day in Archie Shepp Land.

As far as Grachan's extended soling, we do all have John Patton's Soul Connection, correct?