Please tell me I spent my money wisely.

So I came into some birthday money (thanks btw for the bday mention in the misc. forum for those that did) and I decided to take a chance and go for the Anita O'Day box.

Now I'm probably like a lot of you on here and not a huge jazz vocal lover but I've been reading some very nice reviews of her records from that period and I've liked the bit of stuff that I've heard. Anway, I'm looking for some support from you people here.

BTW, for insurance I picked up the Shank/Cooper and Curtis Amy Selects. :D

I don't have the box, but the Verve period is the high point of a great career. I consider her to be easily in the top 10 female jazz vocalists of all time, and my personal preference puts her ahead of both Sassy & Ella, as heretical as that might seem. I think Carmen McRae might be her only real rival in the "time" department.

I like jazz vocals, but I don't like all kinds of jazz vocals. Far too easy for it to become moored in easy listening territory, and then there are the singers who screech... <_<

But the Anita O'Day Verve sessions are very good examples of a jazz musiician performing well at her craft. She's both musical and swinging.

In other words, I hope the set won't disappoint you; but I it don't see why it should.

My favorite female (the NKC box is numero uno) Mosaic vocal set. And that is saying something, since my affection for music of the 1930s should prompt me to pick the Mildred box. I also bought the O'Day Proper box to get a solid slug of her sound from the early 40s. She was definitely in her prime in the Verve years, and a few of the albums are stupendous. Guess you could call me a fan.

It's near the top of my list.

I've just had too many birthdays these past weeks which cost me dearly, so Anita's gotta wait a bit.

The way I've been buying CDs lately, I have to wait until the various Mosaic sets go on that dreaded "Last Chance" list ... enough impetus to actually plunk down the cash for them.

Hope I don't go wrong that way ...

Cheers!

Haven't unwrapped my Anita box set yet but can tell just by holding it that it's jam-packed with great music which you will return to again and again. :eye:

But seriously, Anita is in top form during this period, willing to shift from her 40s big band vocal style and chart new directions in her music. Given the vast amount of material, you may want to listen to 1 (or 2) disc at a time to slowly savour the music.

Edited by LAL

• 11 months later...

So I came into some birthday money (thanks btw for the bday mention in the misc. forum for those that did) and I decided to take a chance and go for the Anita O'Day box.

Now I'm probably like a lot of you on here and not a huge jazz vocal lover but I've been reading some very nice reviews of her records from that period and I've liked the bit of stuff that I've heard. Anway, I'm looking for some support from you people here.

I'm going to follow this thread carefully and please give us your complete thoughts once you've recieved and listened to the set...

I'm kinda in the same boat as you are ... not that familiar with her stuff..... I haven't bought the box yet but am curious...

FYI... I bought and DID not like the Curtis Amy stuff... The cuts with the organ were the worst...

I am much happier with the Carmell Jones select set... Buy that!

It's near the top of my list.

I've just had too many birthdays these past weeks which cost me dearly, so Anita's gotta wait a bit.

The way I've been buying CDs lately, I have to wait until the various Mosaic sets go on that dreaded "Last Chance" list ... enough impetus to actually plunk down the cash for them.

Hope I don't go wrong that way ...

Cheers!

:lol:

It's amazing how many birthdays/celebrations/my wife messed up (so buy me off with a Mosaic gift card) moments you can have????

I too have been a CD binge lately...

but okay... I'm gonna commit heresy here...

When my wife was pregnant with our daughter last year, I deliberately went on a binge and called in almost every favor since I knew when was our daughter was born... my disposable cash was gone.... :):D

At the moment I'm savoring in several unopened to be listened to Mosaic sets.... :)

And I actually DO have a birthday coming up this year :P Can you imagine that???

• 2 weeks later...

You're a RED SOX Fan in NYC?????????????? Brave Soul!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Chaney

Mine is up on Ebay so you have a chance to get it for less than a new set.

You did pretty well on your sale. I meant to bid myself but got busy doing other things (oh, that work thing really DOES get in the way) and so missed out. Anyway, in the end it went for more than I could currently afford.