John Coltrane 1964 (or 1963?)

king ubu

For everybody within reach of SWR2: next week, their series with recordings from the archives will bring forth a Coltrane broadcast.

The David Wild site lists a Coltrane concert in Stuttgart on November 4, 1963. Tunes performed that night were: The Promise (7:33), Afro Blue (6:43), I Want To Talk About You (10:55), Impressions (29:10), My Favorite Things (19:19), Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye (6:25), and Mr. P.C. (35:32)

Must've been quite a concert!

I don't have the European Tours box yet, and I don't know if these tracks are included there, but it seems that box is quite a mess as far as annotation goes. Maybe someone can give some insight about this. Anyway, sound quality should be great (it was with tha Mingus stuff broadcasted last year).

Here's the promotion from the SWR2 web:

Noch heute beziehen sich Saxofonisten in aller Welt auf John Coltrane. Dieser wohl nach Charlie Parker genialste Innovator führte den funktionsharmonisch verankerten Jazz über die modale Spielweise in den Freejazz. 1963 kam Coltrane mit seinem aus heutiger Sicht klassischen Quartett nach Europa. Der damals 37-Jährige erwies sich als totaler Improvisator. Er spielte noch Songs wie "My Favorite Things" "Everytime We Say Goodbye", oder "I Want To Talk About You" aber zunehmend auch eigene Stücke wie das ausgedehnte "Impressions", das eine spürbar spirituelle Dimension erhielt. Coltrane eroberte neben seinen unzähligen anderen Verdiensten für das Sopransaxofon einen bedeutenden Platz im modernen Jazz. Der rastlos suchende Künstler starb knapp 4 Jahre später.

The important part: Thursday, March 4, 19:05-20:15

ubu

Edited by king ubu

This concert makes up discs 11 and 12 of the Coltrane Tree.

Thanks for the info. It's great that one forgets what has already been acquired.

Can anyone provide a link or any info on where i can get a hold of a copy of the tree please ?

Can anybody comment on this ZYX Trane-Box Claude refers to ? Is it worth finding the way into my collection ?

Any hints welcome...

Cheers, Tjobbe

f00336f1y2q.jpg

its a great box & the pice couw mentions is way cheaper than anywhere else