BFT 146 discussion

Had a chance to spin this just now, so here are a few things that I recognized...

#6 = Arlen/Mercer's "Out Of This World", the title track from Walter Benton's 1960 Jazzland album featuring Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and (on this track) Jimmy Cobb.

#9 = the distinctive voice of Helen Merrill

#10 = The tune is "You Better Go Now" (Robert Graham/Bickley Reichner) from Nat Adderley's Savoy album "That's Nat" with Jerome Richardson (flute),Hank Jones (piano),Wendell Marshall (bass),Kenny Clarke (drums).

Nothing else I can identify yet, but some interesting tracks.  On #11 I'm trying to figure out if I'm hearing something familiar in the theme, or whether my mind is playing tricks on me.

Good Listening.  A lot of a Maiden Voyage downtempo Blue Note vibe.  The more adventurous tracks 2 and 3 moved that mood into a freer style, and even the sax blowout on 
5 was in the context of a latin groove that was almost fifties West Coast.  

1 florid, Chris Anderson?
2 Thought of Leo Smith and Matt Shipp on New Orbit, but there's a sax.  Sounds like some of the players may tend toward freebop, but are playing a little more inside here.  I'll guess Shipp, but not Leo. 
3 Paul Bley crossed my mind here
4 Joe Locke and Frank Kimbrough?  I think the tune is Naima, which might make Jay Hoggard a better guess.
5 George Adams meets Shorty Rogers (not that I think such a thing exists, lol).  A whole lot of West Coastish thoughts went out the window when the sax came in!  
Not aware of any session with Geroge Adams and timbales, can't imagine this is Gil Evans, theme comes off too traditional for Gil.
Any latin bandleaders like Omar Sosa that offer a mix like this?  Kinda like that Robert Glasper that led off another recent BFT.
6 Feels Blue Note until the fadeout - don't really expect fadeouts from Blue Note.  Still I'll let the LP surface noise influence me and guess Lee Morgan. 
7 I thought it was cello ot bowed bass at the beginning, but I'm convincing myself it's an accordion or related instrument played with exceptional touch and subtlety.  
If it's Galliano I would be surprised if he is the leader.  Slight possibility it's an ECM date with a different accordion.  Wild shot - Paolo Fresu.
8 Has a Wayne Shorter feel
9 Helen Merrill?
10 Gorgeous ballad trumpet and flute.  I was reminded of Billy Hart's Amethyst album and went back to listen to a track of that.  
While looking for it I came a cross Sonny Fortune's name and I think thats a better guess.
11 I always have to try a guess even when I feel pretty clueless.  Jane Ira Bloom?

After listing to the first track of Amethyst, I think that's the band for #7 with Mark Feldman's violin and Dave Fiucyzinski's guitar being the sounds I mistook for an accordion.

Edited by randyhersom

Track 4 - Walt Dickerson?

Track 5 - Joe Loss and His Orchestra with special guest Albert Ayler? :huh:

Track 6 - Vinyl:), 'Out Of This World'. Freddie Hubbard with the Walter Benton Quintet. Both Freddie and Wynton Kelly very recognisable.

Track 8 - 'Mirage', Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet. From 'Change Is'.

Track 10 - I would have said Donald Byrd, sounds like a Savoy session, Hank Jones on piano. Ozzie Cadena production?

Track 11 - Charlie Mariano on MPS? Sounds either Nordic or German..

Nice selection !

Track 7 - I thought Fresu too..

Edited by sidewinder

Taking no chance on missing May!  Listening immediately and commenting immediately!  

Track 1 - Nice sound in the recording (I know it’s not a sound everyone likes, but it’s very clean and I like it).  Yeah, I’m into this.  Even though it’s newish, it has something behind it that really appeals to me.  Even though it’s new-agey, it works for me.  That bass is really speaking to me with its sparseness.  I like this a lot.  My mind wandered a bit into it.  I’d say it goes perhaps two minutes longer than necessary, but I still like it.  No idea.  First time I heard Avashi Cohen, this was how he struck me.  He lost ground rapidly thereafter.

Track 2 - At first had the feel of a late Blue Note date.  That tenor is tripping over itself, though, and that’s just not a BN characteristic.  I’m thinking DeJohnette on drums.  Tenor just isn’t quite making it.  I was thinking Joe Farrell at first, but I’ve never heard him off the mark this much.  I can’t put my finger on it, but the player just doesn’t seem to be quite up to what s/he is trying to pull off.  Second guessing my JD guess.  Sort of sounds like a mix between Tony Williams and Jack.  I like what the drums/bass are doing.  Keys are awkward.  Sort of like Steve Kuhn, but nowhere near as busy.  This is a weird date.  I want to like it, but I can’t quite get there.

Track 3 - Sounds like early Cecil.  That would be the easy guess, but really strikes me as Andrew Cyrille’s drumming.  That’s definitely Steve Lacy on soprano.  Hmmm… could also be Denis Charles, would suggest one of the dates with Buell Neidlinger.  Keeper.

Track 4 - What’s not to love about this?  I don’t have this, but will once it is ID’d.  Someone posted something by a vibes-fronted band on a BFT awhile back and I would have sworn it was Dickerson, but it was not.  I know this is not Walt, but wonder if it is that album.  Either way, this one needs to be in my collection.

Track 5 - MUCH love.  Is that early Archie?  Gotta be!  DIG!  Gotta search the collection because if I’m right, it’s GOT to be in there.

Track 6 - Oh yeah!  One of my early album purchases!  It’s this.  I had trouble accepting this tune because Coltrane’s version was my introduction.  The rest of the album, however, blew me away.  When I got a little older, I came to realize judging anything in Coltrane’s shadow is a foolish pursuit.  

Side note:  I bought this from my Dad (nothing was “given”).  He’s a bit of a space shot and had ordered plain white record jackets for all his albums and either cut the photos out of jackets or just stuffed the jackets in the basement (it was bizarre).  I never saw the cover for this until searching the web for album artwork while working on my iTunes collection.  My cover had Benton’s name and the personnel in black Marks-a-lot marker over the front (my Dad only did this when he was selling an album).  I’ve never been able to fully understand his mindset in doing this.  At the time, he was rebelling against bad cover art and liner notes.  Hey man, I can’t explain it.  

Track 7 - Pleasant, but no guesses.

Track 8 - Strikes me as a second tier player (think Buck Hill).  I like this a lot, but there is a certain gap in technical facility that seems to hold it back a bit.  I could hear somebody like Harold Land really making this sing.  Love when the trumpet comes in.  General feel is very nice.  I’d spin this a few times.  Bitch of a tune!

Track 9 - Not a lot striking me here.  Could be Karen Krog, but I don’t think so.  Seems like she’d be hipper about it.  

Track 10 - Early on I was thinking Yusef on flute, but now I’m not sure.  I like this a lot. 

Track 11 - Sounds like Garbarek to me.  Nay… that’s John Surman.  I don’t recognize this.  A bit towards the classical side (in that 70s-ish way) as some of John’s stuff tends to be.  I like it, though.  Nice split line with the bass.  That works well.  Reminds me a bit of the Weather Report stuff when Miroslav Vitous was with them.  Creative.  Is that percussive sound Surman’s horn overdubbed?

Found a lot of happiness in this set.

17 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Impressive!  Correct on all three!  You have to name the Merrill tune and album it's from now...;)

I don't own it, but recognizing her voice, and the song, I was able to look it up.  I believe it's track 3 from this:  https://www.discogs.com/Helen-Merrill-Sing-A-Swing-With-Digital/release/6854392

I have always had an off and on enthusiasm about Merrill.  She's obviously one of the elite female vocalists, but there's something in her sound and phrasing that doesn't really appeal to my ears.  It's an unconscious sort of distaste, I guess, because I think she's very talented and "real" in her style.  I respect her.

3 hours ago, randyhersom said:

I am not all that sure the tune is Naima, but there are similarities to my ears.

Not Naima, but yes, a similar feel.  Not quite as distinctive as Naima to my ears, but still a lovely ballad, whatever it is.

11 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Good Listening.  A lot of a Maiden Voyage downtempo Blue Note vibe.  The more adventurous tracks 2 and 3 moved that mood into a freer style, and even the sax blowout on 
5 was in the context of a latin groove that was almost fifties West Coast.  

1 florid, Chris Anderson?

***Nope!

2 Thought of Leo Smith and Matt Shipp on New Orbit, but there's a sax.  Sounds like some of the players may tend toward freebop, but are playing a little more inside here.  I'll guess Shipp, but not Leo. 

***Not Shipp!

3 Paul Bley crossed my mind here

***Not Bley!!

4 Joe Locke and Frank Kimbrough?  I think the tune is Naima, which might make Jay Hoggard a better guess.

****The tune may sound close to Naima but it is not!  Not Locke or Kimbrough or Hoggard either....

5 George Adams meets Shorty Rogers (not that I think such a thing exists, lol).  A whole lot of West Coastish thoughts went out the window when the sax came in!  
Not aware of any session with Geroge Adams and timbales, can't imagine this is Gil Evans, theme comes off too traditional for Gil.
Any latin bandleaders like Omar Sosa that offer a mix like this?  Kinda like that Robert Glasper that led off another recent BFT.
6 Feels Blue Note until the fadeout - don't really expect fadeouts from Blue Note.  Still I'll let the LP surface noise influence me and guess Lee Morgan. 
7 I thought it was cello ot bowed bass at the beginning, but I'm convincing myself it's an accordion or related instrument played with exceptional touch and subtlety.  

If it's Galliano I would be surprised if he is the leader.  Slight possibility it's an ECM date with a different accordion.  Wild shot - Paolo Fresu.

***Not Paolo Fresu but good guess.....it is an ECM date so you got that right!

8 Has a Wayne Shorter feel
9 Helen Merrill?

**Yes it is Merrill...

10 Gorgeous ballad trumpet and flute.  I was reminded of Billy Hart's Amethyst album and went back to listen to a track of that.  
While looking for it I came a cross Sonny Fortune's name and I think thats a better guess.

***Already identified as a tune from "That's Nat" by Nat Adderley on Savoy...

11 I always have to try a guess even when I feel pretty clueless.  Jane Ira Bloom?

***Nope!

11 hours ago, randyhersom said:

After listing to the first track of Amethyst, I think that's the band for #7 with Mark Feldman's violin and Dave Fiucyzinski's guitar being the sounds I mistook for an accordion.

Not Feldman!

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Track 4 - Walt Dickerson?

Track 5 - Joe Loss and His Orchestra with special guest Albert Ayler? :huh:

Track 6 - Vinyl:), 'Out Of This World'. Freddie Hubbard with the Walter Benton Quintet. Both Freddie and Wynton Kelly very recognisable.

Track 8 - 'Mirage', Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet. From 'Change Is'.

Track 10 - I would have said Donald Byrd, sounds like a Savoy session, Hank Jones on piano. Ozzie Cadena production?

Track 11 - Charlie Mariano on MPS? Sounds either Nordic or German..

Nice selection !

Track 7 - I thought Fresu too..

Track 4 is not Walt Dickerson but a good guess!  Track 5 not quite haha.  Yes track 8 is indeed the fantastic Rendell/Carr quintet from "Change is"..kudos, but I knew you'd get that one :)

Track 10 has been identified already and yup it's a Savoy with Hank Jones but the trumpet player is Nat - not Donald :)

Track 11 has a little Nordic blood in it...

8 hours ago, tkeith said:

Taking no chance on missing May!  Listening immediately and commenting immediately!  

Track 1 - Nice sound in the recording (I know it’s not a sound everyone likes, but it’s very clean and I like it).  Yeah, I’m into this.  Even though it’s newish, it has something behind it that really appeals to me.  Even though it’s new-agey, it works for me.  That bass is really speaking to me with its sparseness.  I like this a lot.  My mind wandered a bit into it.  I’d say it goes perhaps two minutes longer than necessary, but I still like it.  No idea.  First time I heard Avashi Cohen, this was how he struck me.  He lost ground rapidly thereafter.

Track 2 - At first had the feel of a late Blue Note date.  That tenor is tripping over itself, though, and that’s just not a BN characteristic.  I’m thinking DeJohnette on drums.  Tenor just isn’t quite making it.  I was thinking Joe Farrell at first, but I’ve never heard him off the mark this much.  I can’t put my finger on it, but the player just doesn’t seem to be quite up to what s/he is trying to pull off.  Second guessing my JD guess.  Sort of sounds like a mix between Tony Williams and Jack.  I like what the drums/bass are doing.  Keys are awkward.  Sort of like Steve Kuhn, but nowhere near as busy.  This is a weird date.  I want to like it, but I can’t quite get there.

Track 3 - Sounds like early Cecil.  That would be the easy guess, but really strikes me as Andrew Cyrille’s drumming.  That’s definitely Steve Lacy on soprano.  Hmmm… could also be Denis Charles, would suggest one of the dates with Buell Neidlinger.  Keeper.

Track 4 - What’s not to love about this?  I don’t have this, but will once it is ID’d.  Someone posted something by a vibes-fronted band on a BFT awhile back and I would have sworn it was Dickerson, but it was not.  I know this is not Walt, but wonder if it is that album.  Either way, this one needs to be in my collection.

Track 5 - MUCH love.  Is that early Archie?  Gotta be!  DIG!  Gotta search the collection because if I’m right, it’s GOT to be in there.

Track 6 - Oh yeah!  One of my early album purchases!  It’s this.  I had trouble accepting this tune because Coltrane’s version was my introduction.  The rest of the album, however, blew me away.  When I got a little older, I came to realize judging anything in Coltrane’s shadow is a foolish pursuit.  

Side note:  I bought this from my Dad (nothing was “given”).  He’s a bit of a space shot and had ordered plain white record jackets for all his albums and either cut the photos out of jackets or just stuffed the jackets in the basement (it was bizarre).  I never saw the cover for this until searching the web for album artwork while working on my iTunes collection.  My cover had Benton’s name and the personnel in black Marks-a-lot marker over the front (my Dad only did this when he was selling an album).  I’ve never been able to fully understand his mindset in doing this.  At the time, he was rebelling against bad cover art and liner notes.  Hey man, I can’t explain it.  

Track 7 - Pleasant, but no guesses.

Track 8 - Strikes me as a second tier player (think Buck Hill).  I like this a lot, but there is a certain gap in technical facility that seems to hold it back a bit.  I could hear somebody like Harold Land really making this sing.  Love when the trumpet comes in.  General feel is very nice.  I’d spin this a few times.  Bitch of a tune!

Track 9 - Not a lot striking me here.  Could be Karen Krog, but I don’t think so.  Seems like she’d be hipper about it.  

Track 10 - Early on I was thinking Yusef on flute, but now I’m not sure.  I like this a lot. 

Track 11 - Sounds like Garbarek to me.  Nay… that’s John Surman.  I don’t recognize this.  A bit towards the classical side (in that 70s-ish way) as some of John’s stuff tends to be.  I like it, though.  Nice split line with the bass.  That works well.  Reminds me a bit of the Weather Report stuff when Miroslav Vitous was with them.  Creative.  Is that percussive sound Surman’s horn overdubbed?

Found a lot of happiness in this set.

Track 3 does have Steve Lacy on it..so a good start..the other names thrown out are not on this track however

Track 5 is not Archie Shepp

Track 11 does indeed feature Surman!  Reminds you of Vitous-era Weather Report huh?  Hmmmm...:w

Glad you liked this BFT...appreciate the kind words and great story about the Benton album!!!

3 hours ago, Jim R said:

I don't own it, but recognizing her voice, and the song, I was able to look it up.  I believe it's track 3 from this:  https://www.discogs.com/Helen-Merrill-Sing-A-Swing-With-Digital/release/6854392

I have always had an off and on enthusiasm about Merrill.  She's obviously one of the elite female vocalists, but there's something in her sound and phrasing that doesn't really appeal to my ears.  It's an unconscious sort of distaste, I guess, because I think she's very talented and "real" in her style.  I respect her.

Not Naima, but yes, a similar feel.  Not quite as distinctive as Naima to my ears, but still a lovely ballad, whatever it is.

That's close but it's not from that particular album....a bit confusing I'll admit because this version is taken from a different Japanese album recorded around the same time but with some different support players.

4 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Track 11 does indeed feature Surman!  Reminds you of Vitous-era Weather Report huh?  Hmmmm...:w

I was too-ing and fro-ing between Mariano and Surman and went for Mariano. The sound was more the former to my mind but the phrasing the latter.

Based on your hints would this be from 'Miroslav Vitous Group' on ECM with Surman and Jon Christensen?

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I was too-ing and fro-ing between Mariano and Surman and went for Mariano. The sound was more the former to my mind but the phrasing the latter.

Based on your hints would this be from 'Miroslav Vitous Group' on ECM with Surman and Jon Christensen?

It is not from that particular album...

6 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 5

John Stubblefield?

Nope!

3 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Track 3 is the opening track of a big favourite of mine: Giorgio Gaslini's "Nuovi Sentimenti" (1966) with Steve Lacy. A splendid album by a fantastic band.

Yup!  Agreed a great album..one day I'll splurge on a first pressing...

2 hours ago, corto maltese said:

In track 7 I hear Nordic fiddling and "shades of Chet" (the Rava-Fresu tradition) - plus: HFTF was never shy about expressing his love for ECM...

Mathias Eick's "Midwest" album fits the bill.

Another correct ID; yes I'm guilty of having many ECM Records ;)

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

Track 9 is Helen Merrill. Because a HFTF blindfold test wouldn't complete without at least some Masahiko's thrown in, this must be the version from the "Affinity" album (with Sato and Togashi). Lovely record. One of many, of course.

Correct again.  Yes could not resist it, but I chose the least obvious example I could think of to include some Sato and Togashi!

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Re track #1: Overdubbed bass, or two bassists?  Pianist seems more content to set a mood than to have the piece go somewhere.  Is it a bassist-led date?  NHOP?

Just one bass, and the bassist is not the leader of this date.  Not NHOP.

1 - Beautiful.  Milton Nascimento-ish.
2 - Certainly good and sounds early 70's, prime era for me.  Joe Henderson?
3 - interesting, for sure.
4 - Walt Dickerson?  Wonderful.
5 - Well, that tenor solo certainly went off in a different direction that I would have expected.  Sounds like two totally
different recordings edited together.  Sort of Tito Puente meets early Pharoah Sanders or something.
6 - The sound of vinyl - snap,  crackle, pop!  "Out of this World".  Sure hope I have (or can get) this.  Really like the sax solo.
7 - Again, quite gorgeous.  ECM-ish done right.  Look forward to the reveal.
8 - Wonderful, gotta have it!  What an amazing BFT!
9 - Karin Krog,"All Blues" from 'Something Borrowed, Something New'.  Very haunting singer, firs heard her on an ENJA set that had a great Hutcherson/Land festival cut.
10 - Pretty and well-played.
11 - Reminds me of the Paul Winter consort, though there is no David Darling cello in this.  Lovely.

Awesome BFT, one of my all-time favorites. I hate the idea of waiting a month for the reveal, though it will let me figure out better how to afford all the new recordings I need to go buy from this!

Just noticed the quiet ooh oooooh ooh background vocals on 1. Before that I was thinking mainstream bass/piano duo influenced by Jarrett, but the pair could come out of another genre,  Their chops are for real.  Now I know why someone took a shot with Nascimiento.  New weird guesses - Esperanza Spaulding or Buster Williams.

After playing the beginnings of each track of few of Stefon Harris and Matthias Lupri albums, and doing the same with a few other tracks of the correct album I gave up and shazammed track 4.  Boy am I embarrassed.  The composition is a standard, but not Naima, and the lead voices are well known.  I skipped over any standards on the correct album because I though it wasn't one.

(a few hours later)

Aaaargh again.  Either that or Shazam sucks at jazz.  That is the case.  Never mind.  Still clueless.

(and then a few minutes later)

Shazam got it on second try.  I am familiar with the artist but would never have guessed him.  I am familiar with the other lead voice but would never have guessed him.  Quite Lovely.

Edited by randyhersom

Track 5 is very odd. Usually when an avant garde group "plays it straight", they still phrase differently than the way that the band does in the opening section of this track. It is as if a corny big band was suddenly joined by an avant garde tenor sax player, as if the tenor sax player was transported, Star Trek style, while soloing in an avant garde group, and materialized in the midst of this corny big band. 

Who would conceive this track? Who thinks this way? Who could pull off both styles in such a convincing way?

:w

On May 7, 2016 at 0:33 PM, randyhersom said:

After playing the beginnings of each track of few of Stefon Harris and Matthias Lupri albums, and doing the same with a few other tracks of the correct album I gave up and shazammed track 4.  Boy am I embarrassed.  The composition is a standard, but not Naima, and the lead voices are well known.  I skipped over any standards on the correct album because I though it wasn't one.

(a few hours later)

Aaaargh again.  Either that or Shazam sucks at jazz.  That is the case.  Never mind.  Still clueless.

(and then a few minutes later)

Shazam got it on second try.  I am familiar with the artist but would never have guessed him.  I am familiar with the other lead voice but would never have guessed him.  Quite Lovely.

Yeah this track was definitely picked to fool people!

Shazamming my BFT?  Tsk tsk ;)