Return Of The Film Corner Thread

Watched a wide variety this weekend:

Deathrace2000poster.jpg

A really well made low-budget film, from back in the days when special effects were done in the real world, not by computers.

040430050925_l.jpg

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult the filming of this movie must have been, even after listening to the commentary track featuring Mr. Herzog.

54ed98dc048be40a391f1b547b235405.jpg

Typical Hollywood bio-pic rubbish, I suppose, but made watchable by good performances.

jOhiioOUVimFXO4wSnjYH8P5ZH6.jpg

The last one was a charming little domestic comedy about the goings on amongst different families in a little neighborhood.  One of the central story lines has two boys refusing to talk any more because their parents won't buy a TV set.  I don't know his name, but the little guy below is one of the best child actors I've ever seen.

goodmorning-isamu.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another-country_(1984).jpg

Starring Rupert Everett, Colin Firth and Cary Elwes.  One of the bonus features on the DVD was a clip from an early 1980's TV entertainment magazine type show which included a videotaped segment from the original London production of the play upon which the film was based.  The play starred a couple of fresh, young actors, Rupert Everett and Kenneth Branagh.  It looked like a professionally made, multi-camera taping of the play.  The movie was okay, but I'd sure like to see that taped version of the play.

Silence - Martin Scorsese (2016)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81eiLmctTvL._SX342_.jpg

Scorsese in Bergman land.

Impressively made and profound even to non believers although it's far from being a mainstream commercial film;more like a very personal project for Scorsese.

I thought Issei Ogata was especially good as Inoue, the inquisitor but Tadanobu Asano miscast as the interpreter.

Margaret : Director's Cut - Kenneth Lonergan (2011)

http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/14266651?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg

My Father's Vietnam - Soren Sorenson (2015)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61JiKkxZxeL._SY445_.jpg

The title speaks for itself.

Modest but touching, elequently told and well made personal account of the wars effect on a small group of people

Well worth watching.

On 4/1/2017 at 0:33 AM, Jazzmoose said:

MV5BMjE1NDY0NDk3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTAz

I saw this for the first time last night.  Oddly, I read the book when it came out. I remember it as having a straight forward thriller approach, so the humor caught me off guard.  Matthau is awesome.

I'm planning on watching this tonight.