Ali has died.

A nonpareil human has left us. I grew up with Ali. My brother and his friends never missed a fight, and would ape his braggadocio (sp.?) in mock interviews. His courage in standing up against the Vietnam war cost him dearly, but it didn't stop him. I don't share his Muslim beliefs, but admire that he spent his later years making up and signing tracts to be delivered to local schools, etc. His generosity was legion, and in the end most his amassed riches were gone---partly because of this. He was a unique personality and a humanitarian. A one-of-a-kind man...

Edited by fasstrack

5 hours ago, fasstrack said:

A nonpareil human has left us. I grew up with Ali. My brother and his friends never missed a fight, and would ape his braggadocio (sp.?) in mock interviews. His courage in standing up against the Vietnam war cost him dearly, but it didn't stop him. I don't share his Muslim beliefs, but admire that he spent his later years making up and signing tracts to be delivered to local schools, etc. His generosity was legion, and in the end most his amassed riches were gone---partly because of this. He was a unique personality and a humanitarian. A one-of-a-kind man...

You gotta get that 'stupid phone' sorted :g I feel like I'm Foreman in the 8th at Zaire. BTW have I missed that Eddie Diehl celebration on line at Smalls? 

Edited by robertoart

They simply do not build them like that anymore. 

I'm glad to say I lived in the age of Ali. 

It's really sad to see what the heavyweight division has become after Tyson ravaged it in the late 80's/early 90's. I really loved Holyfield, but even I knew he was a blown up cruiserweight. 

And even worse, the social consciousness in sports died with The Champ. He was one the last of The Great Men in sports, IMO. At least we still have Tommie Smith and Juan Carlos walking this earth at the moment. 

RIP, Champ. Give Mr. Norman our best. 

I've never cared about boxing, or many other sports or many athletes. But Ali was a fascinating human being with humor, intelligence, compassion, conviction and courage, and I can only wonder what it must have been like to battle the ravaging disease he had for so long. Rest in peace Champ.

Between Howard Cosell & Ali & ABC, they gave me the gift of witnessing up close and personally racist relatives work themselves into states of near-self-immoliation EVERY time, at least until they just had to give up, more victims of Ali's Incomparably Righteous Inevitability. That GIF or whatever that Dan posted, that is about as pure a summation of....IT as you can ask for.

We really have lost a giant of a human. As the species becomes more and more dwarfy to no really good end that I can see, that hurts.

On 6/5/2016 at 0:22 PM, robertoart said:

You gotta get that 'stupid phone' sorted :g I feel like I'm Foreman in the 8th at Zaire. BTW have I missed that Eddie Diehl celebration on line at Smalls? 

I know. Mea cupla, and all that. The gig with Eddie (and John Beal, and Taro Okomoto) will happen at Smalls on Saturday, June 18. 7:30-10. I will post it close to the date, thanks...

• 3 weeks later...