Sonny Rollins in Denmark

fasstrack

Notice how Kenny Drew solves Sonny's piano 'problem' by laying out for most of Sonny's choruses. It's generally a good orchestrational device, anyway, waiting and introducing a new color. Works well here...

...choruses on the first tune, I meant. Wasn't allowed to edit my post for some reason...

Everything i've heard of Sonny/Denmark/68 has had that same quality of a calmly unimpeded flow, a mergr of the observer and the actor, seperation removed, really, really special music, more than just "on", tempted to call it perfect, it transcends on or off, enough of this "binary choice" bullshit, technology is digital, reality is not, unless that's a volunteered slavery you're willing to accept, in which case don't expect Sonny Rollins, real or potential.

Wow, didn´t know he played in 68. Somehow I had thought that was one of the periods when he was off the scene, took a break and studied something, some philosophy some religion something like that. Late 60´s anyway was a rough period for jazz and I think many clubs had closed (even Europe wasn´t easy then).  But Sonny was the greatest all time. But it seemes the period after the Don Cherry Collaboration (63 tour) until the first Milestone stuff (Next Album) was unknown to me. Somehow like Mingus. Not much after the Dolphy collaboration until 1971 (Let my children hear music).......

12 hours ago, fasstrack said:

Notice how Kenny Drew solves Sonny's piano 'problem' by laying out for most of Sonny's choruses. It's generally a good orchestrational device, anyway, waiting and introducing a new color. Works well here...

...choruses on the first tune, I meant. Wasn't allowed to edit my post for some reason...

Great stuff ....

taken from a Jazz Icons DVD, I assume:

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/jazz-icons-series-3-sonny-rollins-65-and-68-sonny-rollins-by-c-michael-bailey.php

finally about to buy these, had the first box for a while, just bought the fourth, lent a few single DVDs from a library years ago ... and going to pick up Vols. 2 and 3 on the way home from work today (gotta pay baksheesh for the cutsoms) ... leaves Vol. 5 which will be part of my next Mosaic order (not scheduled yet, though i wand the new Pres set badly) :D

I did think Sonny and the band were a bit subdued on this. Not at all a bad thing, BTW. His solos were shorter and less exploratory than the usual for this period.

I have a feeling that this performance was taped in a T.V. studio with no audience present (there is no applause audible), therefore the numbers perhaps had to be somewhat truncated...

Probably out on different labels now, but Moon put out two CDs of a club date by this same band from this same time. Tunes are loooooonnnnnnggggg and almost all Sonny. The playing has that same quality, though. As one of the very few documents of the time between East Broadway Rundown and Next Album, they're a rare example of Sonny's playing in an (apparently) "unbothered" or "undistracted" state, no real tours, not real gigs,.

They also make for an interesting comparison to Aix en Provance, which came from a similar dynamic, Sonny right on the verge of his "Bridge" sabbatical. In both cases, the guy seems to just be not worried about anything, the ideas just flow, although, a decade later, the technique was at an exponentially higher level. You really do have to wonder if Rollins has ever viewed scheduled personal appearances to be anything other than an unfortunately necessary business mechanism, whether what all he really wanted (and I don't think he's alone in this) is to simply be able to play without having all the other stuff around him.

R-4820070-1376513660-7778.jpeg.jpg R-4820059-1376513528-6980.jpeg.jpg

51J7GP9RGNL.jpg