all things emusic

John B

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am probably going to give it 30 more days after the subscription plan changes over on Nov 8th. I want to see if there are going to be any more decent labels added and also to finish all the stuff I have lined up in my stash!!!

That's cool. I thought about doing the same thing since the download speeds are back up. Good luck on getting your whole stash. :tup

I'm on the fence about whether I'm staying on emusic or not. If their quality of mp3s doesn't return to normal soon, I'm outta there. I'm sick of my computer freezing due to error tracks.

The last thing I tried to get was Dexter Gordon with Junior Mance at Montreax--the fourth track froze my computer twice and I haven't been back in about a week. :rmad:

That's cool. I thought about doing the same thing since the download speeds are back up. Good luck on getting your whole stash. :tup

They are? could have fooled me. it's taking me forever to get all of Woody Shaw's Blackstone Legacy! Man is that date a smoker.

I am getting into the whole early 70's Soul Jazz thing...GOOD stuff, not like BN was putting out, but the Prestige stuff of that same era. And Stax...dl'ed Booker T's McLemore Avenue last night! WOW!!! Think I am aiming to get the whole MG's catalog while I can!

And Stax...dl'ed Booker T's McLemore Avenue last night! WOW!!! Think I am aiming to get the whole MG's catalog while I can!

:tup

That's a great record. I love to listen to the Beatles ABBEY ROAD and then throw on Booker T's McLEMORE AVENUE after it. I could listen to Steve Cropper all day. :D

Regarding Stax, if you haven't checked out Isaac Hayes, make sure you pick some of his stuff up. I'd start with HOT BUTTERED SOUL or SHAFT.

I guess I've been lucky with download speeds. I was able to get good pretty good downloads yesterday and today. Last week, I couldn't get anything. :angry:

I'm planning to stick around for awhile longer ... I'm trying to finish up the Fantasy and Concord catalogs.

I've found that, for the most part, the downloads are painfully slow. Last night, for instance, I dl'd an Elliott Lawrence session that was pretty lengthy (15 or so tracks, ~ 77 minutes) ... even with cancelling and restarting a handful of tracks, the whole thing took over three hours! :angry: The problem I have is that the "requesting file" part takes so #$%&$#^ long -- once it starts downloading, it might be even faster than ever before for my PC.

So the Lawrence took three hours ... and then I downloaded Chuck Mangione's Recuerdo in literally 90 seconds!!! :wacko:

It's like playing golf or fishing -- 90% of the experience could suck, but you hit that one good shot or catch that one decent-sized fish (or have a dl in 90 seconds), and you'll be back ...

I hope my account holds on long enough to get those Blakey and Dizzy discs.

Just a few days ago, I got the emusic nastygram -- my account "has been identified as having download activity that far exceeds that of the overwhelming majority of subscribers".

I was in no particular hurry to download massive amounts of stuff until the changes were announced. I've read that the "limit" of what was advertised as "unlimited" downloads is 2,000 per month. It looks like this is actually 2,000 in any 30-day period, as I never got close to that many in my first few months as a subscriber, including last month.

It's great recommendations like these that remind me how truly sad it will be when things change in November. I'll probably quit before Nov 8th, unless they kick me off first.

Then, I'll back up my entire collection on to 2 DVD+R's, and have enough music to keep me busy for a *long* time.

was your computer d/ling non-stop?

Not really - I sit in front of a computer most of the day, so I would just start a download, and check on it periodically. I was probably getting anywhere from 5 to 20 discs per day, less when things got really bad.

In the last week or so, the downloading speed seems to have improved, and I queued up a bunch of Louis Armstrong and Bix cd's -- all of which usually contain 20+ songs per disc. The Hot 5's/Hot 7's set contains 89 songs over only 4 discs, so this certainly didn't help to keep my download count low.

Looks like my total is 2,386 files, over a period of about seven weeks.