all things emusic

John B

Jeff, there are literally thousands of jazz albums and tens of thousands of desireable tracks available for download at emusic. If someone can't find 40 tracks to download in a month's time, then something's wrong. I don't care how you look at it, but emusic is hardly a ripoff. Heck, if you have one single track left in your monthly alotment you can d/l a complete (one long track) Anthony Braxton album if you like.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff, there are literally thousands of jazz albums and tens of thousands of desireable tracks available for download at emusic. If someone can't find 40 tracks to download in a month's time, then something's wrong. I don't care how you look at it, but emusic is hardly a ripoff. Heck, if you have one single track left in your monthly alotment you can d/l a complete (one long track) Anthony Braxton album if you like.

I know emusic itself is a good deal (especially for jazz or albums with long tracks), but I just think it's a drag that they clear your downloads.

What if you had planned on downloading some albums and your computer crashes or you go on vacation, or just forget. I don't think it would be difficult to keep your account credited with those tracks.

That's all I was saying. Heck, I may try emusic again sometime. :D

I think they have to think about bandwidth limitations as well. By allowing a certain amount per month per user they are better able to foresee costs and minimize problems. Its like cable tv. If ou go on vacation, you sitll pay for it.

I remember when emusic announced it was goinglimit downloads. I spent every downloading as much as I could, and Im sure others did as well. As a result, it was very buggy with alot of errors. But I still got my Bill Evans boxed sets!

I think they have to think about bandwidth limitations as well. By allowing a certain amount per month per user they are better able to foresee costs and minimize problems. Its like cable tv. If ou go on vacation, you sitll pay for it.

I remember when emusic announced it was goinglimit downloads. I spent every downloading as much as I could, and Im sure others did as well. As a result, it was very buggy with alot of errors. But I still got my Bill Evans boxed sets!

That makes sense.

If I sign up, I'll make sure I get all my downloads at the beginning of the month. :D

I subscribed to emusic for a couple of years before they ended the unlimited downloads. I still haven't caught up on all that I downloaded. Unfortunately, it was before they went to the VBR downloads.

It sure was hard to download anything right before they stopped the unlimited downloads. You're lucky to have finished that set. :tup

Unfortunately, it was before they went to the VBR downloads.

If you sign up again using the same e-mail address/account as before, emusic should still "remember" you and give you access to all your old downloads - which, of course, you can re-download for free, at the improved VBR rates.

I recently re-downloaded a whole bunch of stuff that I had burned to CDR and deleted from my hard drive. But when I got my mp3 player I figured I'd get the files again to keep as mp3s.

Unfortunately, it was before they went to the VBR downloads.

If you sign up again using the same e-mail address/account as before, emusic should still "remember" you and give you access to all your old downloads - which, of course, you can re-download for free, at the improved VBR rates.

I recently re-downloaded a whole bunch of stuff that I had burned to CDR and deleted from my hard drive. But when I got my mp3 player I figured I'd get the files again to keep as mp3s.

That would be GREAT! :g

When I use up my monthly "40", I sometimes spend the rest of the month re-downloading stuff from the pre-VBR days. I still have a ways to go.

Remember, you don't have to hit 40 on the nose every month. You can always download the first "X" number of tracks from the next album on your list, and then finish up when the next month rolls around.

Most albums I've downloaded have sounded fine. Some albums have poor sound or other problems:

Dexter Gordon/Al Grey "True Blue" (Xanadu) has noise artifacts, and Don Wilkerson's "The Texas Twister" (Riverside) has about 3 minutes of silence at the end of the first track.

The oop Xanadu albums are needle drop transfers taken from LPs (it states so). Don't know about the Wilkerson as I have that on CD. Overall, I find that less than 1% of the emusic tracks have errors. Also, stay away from the few tracks that are still encoded at 128 (stated as such).

They'll have a note under the star rating that says: icon13.gif128K MP3 ONLY!

Otherwise, there is no listing of the bitrate.

The bit rates are variable [VBR] unless otherwise noted with the 128 disclaimer.

"With variable bit rate MP3s, the encoder automatically detects which bit rate is most apropriate for the sound being encoded, live. This means that when there is little sound to be heard, the encoder encodes the MP3 with a low bit rate (as low as 16 kbps or less), but when there is very complex sound to be heard, the encoder uses a much higher bit rate (up to 320 kbps) to attain better sound reproduction."

source

emusic just added this album:

crw27n.jpg

which I just bought a copy of. It is really, really good. Very highly recommended for fans of African music or just anyone with an open ear.

"KONONO N°1 was founded over 25 years ago by Mingiedi, a virtuoso of the likembé (a traditional instrument sometimes called "sanza" or "thumb piano", consisting of metal rods attached to a resonator). The band's line-up includes three electric likembés (bass, medium and treble), equipped with hand-made microphones built from magnets salvaged from old car parts, and plugged into amplifiers. There's also a rhythm section which uses traditional as well as makeshift percussion (pans, pots and car parts), three singers, three dancers and a sound system featuring these famous megaphones."

The label website is here and has sound clips.

Edited by John B

the new booster plans deals suck

would you or someone else please fill me in on the booster plans? i haven't yet signed up. i eventually managed to get beyond that you-must-register-to-enter-the-site page and could explore the offerings -- a lot of attractive stuff. but i couldn't find anything in the help files about the terms of the booster plans.

I'm not sure why they suck, but here they are:

Booster Pack 10 - 10 Song Downloads

$4.99

Booster Pack 25 - 25 Song Downloads

$9.99

Booster Pack 50 - 50 Song Downloads

$14.99

Basically, if you use up your monthly "allowance", and you still want to download more music, you can purchase a Booster Pack.

I'm not sure why they suck, but here they are:

Booster Pack 10 - 10 Song Downloads

$4.99

Booster Pack 25 - 25 Song Downloads

$9.99

Booster Pack 50 - 50 Song Downloads

$14.99 

Basically, if you use up your monthly "allowance", and you still want to download more music, you can purchase a Booster Pack.

Thanks for the info. If I remember correctly, the basic pricing comes out to about $0.25/track. So 'booster' downloads would be more expensive. Too bad, although it makes sense from the company's perspective.

Recently added, or at least I just noticed, Pi Recrodings, including some fantastic stuff by Henry Threadgill and Vijay Iyer. Also some Leo Smith and Art Ensemble which I am not familiar with. I might get "The Meeting" by AEC, any thoughts on that?

thanks for posting this! I was going to place an order for some of these Pi discs soon.

I went a little overboard the other day on e-music, at least I tried to. Apparently, there's a limit to how many tunes you can download from them in a given month. When I tried to do an upgrade to my account and add another 50 songs, I got a message saying I'd reached my limit. The message also said they were working on some other packages that would eventually allow junkies such as myself greater access to their "catalogue", but there was no specific information provided as to what and when. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when this message popped up. I wonder why they care how many songs someone wants to download in a month as long as they're paying the freight. Seems odd to me that any business would turn down a paying customer.

Up over and out.