• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We got three hours of sleep last night and an emotional morning and early afternoon. When we returned home I was able to listen to: 

hqdefault.jpg

"Helen Merrill Presents Tommy Flanagan Plays the Music of Harold Arlen" Gitanes Jazz. Wow. So much personality in these arrangements and playing. Grace and joy.

Followed by:

R-5600397-1397664585-4311.jpeg.jpg

Helen Merrill/Dick Katz "A Shade of Difference" Gitanes Jazz. Smart, beautiful music.

Wow!  This is a terrific album!

Trombone – Buddy Morrow, Garnett Brown, Paul Falise, Sonny Russo, Wayne Andre.... Saxophone – Arnie Lawrence, Danny Banks, Eddie Daniels, Frank Wess, George Young , Phil Bodner.... Trumpet – Bernie Glow, Bob McCoy, Markie Markowitz, Marvin Stamm, Mel Davis.... Bass – Richard Davis.... Drums – Grady Tate.... Guitar, Co-producer – Tony Mottola...  Did'ja ever that experience where your feet are tapping and your fingers are snapping and you suddenly think, "Wait a second . . . I hate this song, but man I dig this arrangement!"  That happened to me on the opening track here, a swinging Dick Hyman arrangement of "Sing", that cloying Joe Raposo ditty recorded by just about everybody in the 1970's.  This is the first time I've ever actually enjoyed hearing it.  The Jobim tune, "Ana Luiza" was arranged by Claus Ogerman and, while gorgeous, really didn't leave much of a lasting impression.  It's a lovely display for trombones, certainly.  Sorry, I'm not really in the market for another version of "Summertime", thanks anyway; maybe some other time.  You remember how once a season Carol Burnett used to have a feature spot for the Ernie Flatt Dancers?  Well Johnny Carisi's arrangement of "St. Louis Blues" sounds like just the sort of music they would have used for such a segment.  That is not meant as a put down, by any means.  There is a very upbeat version of that old pop dirge, "Alone Again (Naturally)" (arranged by Wayne Andre if I can read the very tiny print on the album cover image over at discogs correctly) that works really well.  Some one should set new and better (how could they possibly be worse?) lyrics to this happy version and make it a "new" hit today!  This album more than deserves a :tup!

13 hours ago, BillF said:

R-3382409-1328215472.jpeg.jpg

An Album that really Always had fascinated me. The MJQ + Lou Donaldson even before they where called "MJQ" and that Incredible Monk Session, the only one from 1948. I think this Monk band had played also at the Royal Roost, but too bad there´s no broadcasts from it. I´m not an audiophile and my Hearing anyway is´nt the best anymore after decades of Music, but is it possible, that this BN Album does not have the good Sound Quality that later BN Albums had ? Maybe they had a bad recording engineer ? 

The last album I got to listen to last night. The Japanese RVG mini-lp version. 

Anthony (Tony) Williams "Spring" Blue Note cd Japan.

I'd forgotten how involving this album is--from the first brush strokes in I was captivated yet again. Tony with Ron Carter, Sam Rivers, Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock. Wow.

These Japanese RVGs are really sounding good for the most part on my system as it is now configured. I'm looking for more. I just purchased eight nicely priced ones I didn't have that I should have in a week.

tony-williams-spring-20121010030519.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

The last album I got to listen to last night. The Japanese RVG mini-lp version. 

Anthony (Tony) Williams "Spring" Blue Note cd Japan.

I'd forgotten how involving this album is--from the first brush strokes in I was captivated yet again. Tony with Ron Carter, Sam Rivers, Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock. Wow.

These Japanese RVGs are really sounding good for the most part on my system as it is now configured. I'm looking for more. I just purchased eight nicely priced ones I didn't have that I should have in a week.

tony-williams-spring-20121010030519.jpg

Really a great Album. I love this and "Lifetime". 

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

R-5600397-1397664585-4311.jpeg.jpg

Helen Merrill/Dick Katz "A Shade of Difference" Gitanes Jazz. Smart, beautiful music.

All three of Merrill's collaborations with Dick Katz are recent "Wow!" discoveries for me. :tup:tup:tup 

NP:

91Ll2kCZj6L._SS500_.jpg

I've been hoovering up all the music that Tsilis and Arthur Blythe made together. This is one of their finest collaborations, IMO.

Earlier:

91MoNnUstYL._SS500_.jpg

The tunes are all brief and barely any space is allocated to soloing, so this music comes off a bit 'straight-jacketed.'