• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now playing:

NTktMjIwMy5qcGVn.jpeg

Attila Zoller with Hans Koller & George Mraz - The K&K 3 in New York (L+R, 1980)
CD reissue by Solid

That looks good! I like Koller, and recently picked up an 1800 yen Zoller Japanese reissue threefer (orig. on Enja). Can't keep up with everything...

Ny03MjYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

That looks good! 

Yeah, I've been digging it.  It's chamber jazz -- sort of like the Jimmy Giuffre 3 with Ralph Peña & Jim Hall.  But instead of sounding distinctly U.S. American, imagine the music coming from mittel-Europe.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

I like Koller, and recently picked up an 1800 yen Zoller Japanese reissue threefer (orig. on Enja).

Yeah, I saw that reissue.  I have -- and really enjoy -- Common Cause from that set.  (Joe Chambers on drums!)  But I don't know the other two.  I'd be willing to bet that they're terrific.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

Can't keep up with everything...

Not without going broke!  :P 

Edited by HutchFan

I haven’t been doing a great job of chronicling my listening lately. Been busy. . .some home disasters like a 20 plus year old washing machine needing repairs that there are no longer parts for. . . so we were researching and buying a new one. (Settled on a GE Commercial model). And my best friend in the world has been going through some health issues and loneliness and I wish I could help him more but I’m 1400 miles away. . . so I’ve been spending time on the phone that helps us both out. And that and the holiday season have me calling others far more than I usually do. (I’ve a certain type of loneliness too, especially as I have friends of over 30 years, two over 35 years, that are far away and no one close by of the same closeness besides my wonderful wife).

Anyway the system sounds fantastic and when I do get to listen I’m just awed. A few Tom Harrell and Miles Davis listens have been the best that I could ever have imagined hearing. And this is a great one as well–one of those contemporary recordings where the music and the engineering are so well woven together. And the music has been giving me great dividends as it spins this last year. Wilkins is a real young lion with the goods.

Immanuel Wilkins “7the Hand” Blue Note cd

5fb8853ce6a05bf0ffc80ec80d3b6d406d807834

11 hours ago, T.D. said:

That looks good! I like Koller, and recently picked up an 1800 yen Zoller Japanese reissue threefer (orig. on Enja). Can't keep up with everything...

Ny03MjYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I love it, though I had all the BN stuff on the 1970´s double album "Fats Navarro". The strange thing is, that in this case BN made the mistake of sellin´ two individual albums with the same session, since the 1949 which is the best, appears on the Fats Navarro LP as well as on the "Amazing Bud Powell" LP. 
Usually I´m not a discographer and don´t know anythin but the music and the musicians, but I remember I was pissed of by it, when I was a youngster and spent a lot of my pocket money just to buy the music to study it.....

Well, on this CD is also somethin I never had heard before, I think a few tunes, that sound a bit too "polished" for my tastes, and one of them has a soprano singer that doesn´t sound like jazz at all. 
I remember my wife when she heard that she bursted out with laughter and said something about "who is that crazy hen ?" 

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I haven’t been doing a great job of chronicling my listening lately. Been busy. . .some home disasters like a 20 plus year old washing machine needing repairs that there are no longer parts for. . . so we were researching and buying a new one. (Settled on a GE Commercial model). And my best friend in the world has been going through some health issues and loneliness and I wish I could help him more but I’m 1400 miles away. . . so I’ve been spending time on the phone that helps us both out. And that and the holiday season have me calling others far more than I usually do. (I’ve a certain type of loneliness too, especially as I have friends of over 30 years, two over 35 years, that are far away and no one close by of the same closeness besides my wonderful wife).

Anyway the system sounds fantastic and when I do get to listen I’m just awed. A few Tom Harrell and Miles Davis listens have been the best that I could ever have imagined hearing. And this is a great one as well–one of those contemporary recordings where the music and the engineering are so well woven together. And the music has been giving me great dividends as it spins this last year. Wilkins is a real young lion with the goods.

Immanuel Wilkins “7the Hand” Blue Note cd

5fb8853ce6a05bf0ffc80ec80d3b6d406d807834

Wonderful thing you wrote about friendship and loneliness. 
Well, I also had at least three good friends and all of them died prematurely due to heavy drinkin´. In each of the cases the drinkin´ led to liver failing ore heart failure, even cancer. That´s the bad side of the jazz live. Glad I don´t drink alcool. 

I don´t know the musician you posted here, but it looks so much like a "Sun Ra thing" ! 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I love it, though I had all the BN stuff on the 1970´s double album "Fats Navarro". The strange thing is, that in this case BN made the mistake of sellin´ two individual albums with the same session, since the 1949 which is the best, appears on the Fats Navarro LP as well as on the "Amazing Bud Powell" LP. 
Usually I´m not a discographer and don´t know anythin but the music and the musicians, but I remember I was pissed of by it, when I was a youngster and spent a lot of my pocket money just to buy the music to study it.....

Well, on this CD is also somethin I never had heard before, I think a few tunes, that sound a bit too "polished" for my tastes, and one of them has a soprano singer that doesn´t sound like jazz at all. 
I remember my wife when she heard that she bursted out with laughter and said something about "who is that crazy hen ?" 

Wonderful thing you wrote about friendship and loneliness. 
Well, I also had at least three good friends and all of them died prematurely due to heavy drinkin´. In each of the cases the drinkin´ led to liver failing ore heart failure, even cancer. That´s the bad side of the jazz live. Glad I don´t drink alcool. 

I don´t know the musician you posted here, but it looks so much like a "Sun Ra thing" ! 

It's actually not a Sun Ra thing at all!