Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Currently listening to my Dad's specially curated Christmas playlist, which he seems to have decided should be in the background this year. It's bleak energy sapping stuff. I'm trying to sneak some Carla Bley in there. Bobby Timmons' Holiday Soul still up the sleeve.

Wow.  "Bleak" and "energy sapping" are not words one usually associates with Christmas music! 

I've been listening to some early-70s soul jazz, which is neither bleak nor energy sapping.  Quite the opposite, in fact!  :P 

MC04ODgxLmpwZWc.jpeg

and this again:

LTQ1ODkuanBlZw.jpeg

52 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Where are you finding the appeal of Black Byrd ? I try and fail. But there are plenty of people, then and now, who enjoy it. What might I still be missing? 

I like the music because it's groovy and soaring.  I think it has a sort of "airiness" that's very appealing.  (The titles reflect this up-in-the-air theme: "Flight Time," "Sky High" -- even the title of the album itself.)  . . . It's sunny party music for the backyard on a Sunday afternoon rather than heavier stuff for a house party on Saturday night.  In that regard, it lives in the same neighborhood as Roy Ayers' music.  . . . Plus the Mizell Brothers don't take over the album like they often (usually?) did.  It's still very much Byrd's record. . . . Lastly, I like how Byrd use voices for flavor on this album, rather than making them the focus of the music -- as on the Blackbyrds albums.

Edited by HutchFan

new-horizons-by-sun-ra-and-his-arkestra.

Sources:
Tracks #1-7, 9-11 form the Transition album "Jazz by Sun Ra" (TRLP-10)
Track #8 form the Transition album "Jazz in Transition" (TRLP-30)
Tracks #12-15, form the Saturn album "Sun Ra Visits Planet Earth" (LP-207)
Tracks #16-19, form the Saturn album "Super-Sonic Jazz" (LP-0216)

Personnel:
Dave Young, Art Hoyle (tp), Julian Priester (tb), James Scales (as), John Gilmore (ts), Pat Patrick (bars, as); Charles Davis (bars), Sun Ra (p, org), Richard Evans, Victor Sproles (b), Wilbur Green (b) Bob Barry, William Cochran (d), Jim Herndon (tympani, percussion).
Recorded at Universal Studios, in Chicago, 1956

Edited by hopkins

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Where are you finding the appeal of Black Byrd ? I try and fail. But there are plenty of people, then and now, who enjoy it. What might I still be missing? 

It’s a funk record, with only great tunes on it and a bit of jazz quality soloing. What’s not to love?

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Wow.  "Bleak" and "energy sapping" are not words one usually associates with Christmas music! 

He’s doing it wrong. It is just flaccid versions of slow paced choral Christmas carols. It’s horrible stuff. 

We didn’t celebrate Christmas in any meaningful way growing up. This year because of the grandkids my parents are experimenting with doing it with all the trimmings. The music is one experiment that is not working!

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It’s a funk record, with only great tunes on it and a bit of jazz quality soloing. What’s not to love?

That it's not in the least bit funky? Not even a teense. 

Next time I get to it, I'm trying HuchFan's "airy" angle. That's one I haven't tried yet