• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Jacques Loussier Trio – Plays Debussy

More out of idle curiousity than anything.

I had one of his more recent albums on CD, and I did not care for some of the nods to more contemporary styles that for me are at odds with the overall aesthetic.  So back to the dollar bin it went!

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Finally dug out the LP which thankfully I had retained since any transfer is still MIA, and you are right - Shirley Scott plays piano, it's a Discogs error.  Going to be listening to this later today and I do want to follow up on a set of all of these recordings from Rick's, but supplemented with one from two year's before - Al Grey Jazz All-Stars at Traveler's Lounge, which is the same group supplemented by Pete Minger on trumpet.

:tup  All great stuff.  The Grey-Forrest pairing is right on! 

Dan, have you heard Al Grey's Struttin' and Shoutin' (Columbia), which was recorded around the same time?  It's an amazing large ensemble album featuring Jimmy Forrest, Cecil Payne, Waymon Reed, and a bunch of other heavies.  AFAIK, it's never been reissued in any digital format. Vinyl only. Definitely worth seeking out.

NP:

NS04NDU1LmpwZWc.jpeg

😍

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I had one of his more recent albums on CD, and I did not care for some of the nods to more contemporary styles that for me are at odds with the overall aesthetic.  So back to the dollar bin it went!

Plays Debussy was alright. It was Debussy on piano, with a rhythm section, for no particularly good reason. 

But it wasn't bad bad.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Dan, have you heard Al Grey's Struttin' and Shoutin' (Columbia), which was recorded around the same time?  It's an amazing large ensemble album featuring Jimmy Forrest, Cecil Payne, Waymon Reed, and a bunch of other heavies.  AFAIK, it's never been reissued in any digital format. Vinyl only. Definitely worth seeking out.

I have had that one for quite a while, found a library copy in surprisingly good shape many moons ago.  Its terrific. And while it's his only Columbia recording of the 70s it seems Grey wasn't there on a one-off. The Al Grey Jazz All-Stars release I mentioned has a "by permission of  Columbia Records" notation.

25 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Prompted by the @Dan Gould post above:

ODAtOTQzMi5qcGVn.jpeg

ODctMzk1Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

:)

Thanks for this convenient pic - I can now see that  the original Rick's LP only has In a Mellotone as unique to it. Unless that is, the Truly Wonderful Stash CD has that track.

of course we're also assuming that different releases are same takes.  Three nights, at least two sets per night - could be different performances.

Edited by Dan Gould

So glad I came across this searching for the aforementioned Live at Rick's LP, not even a Bobby Durham vocal ruins the good vibes, and trombone-tenor-trumpet front line gives a nice depth to the themes/unison spots even if "head" arrangements.

This compilation of the complete Al Grey-Jimmy Forrest recordings are going to be a killer listen (and will include the last one, Out Dere with Don Patterson on organ).

travelers lounge.jpg

Edited by Dan Gould

The Brazilian version. . . .
[IMG]

Released elsewhere as
[IMG]

This is like classical music to me, and if there were more classical music somewhat like this I'd listen to even more classical music.

Jobim at a peak of his creativity showcasing wonderful compositions with the amazing arranging and orchestrations of Claus Ogerman. Jobim strutting his stuff in his finest livery. Diego Oivas gets it right, here:

Tom Jobim: Matita Perê (1973) – FOND/SOUND

[IMG]

16 hours ago, jlhoots said:

2 Myra Melford Quintet Rogue Art CDs.

How are these, very similar to each other? I'm thinking of buying one because of the universally positive coverage but not sure that both isn't overkill. Any thoughts/guidance appreciated.

Edited by mjazzg