• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finishing this up.  Here's your likely best album release of the year for 2024.  Shocking that something this magnificent would see the light of day this late in the game (I know there was a bootleg of one track from it some years ago).  Don't understand why Impulse didn't put this out  back in the early 70's, it would have sold as well as a lot of what they were releasing, and would have been a cultural landmark.  This CD release would have fit on one disc instead of two (though barely), and the sound isn't the best (though perfectly acceptable, better than several of the John Coltrane archival releases), but otherwise, this is a gem.

image.jpeg.167cf7bdf278ca87e445f2a354ab4a14.jpeg

44 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Reely? 

Yeah, but it's not live from the reel - it's something I transferred many years ago from one. It came up on shuffle ... and the separation was so bizarre sounding that I checked what I was listening to and it was this version.

George Lewis – At Herbert Otto's Party - 1949

R-12346238-1581973550-1873.jpg.0edee27275ee9015978d29a83c94a48e.jpg

This one is a little shambolic.

55 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Swingin’ with this one before Lucinda wakes up and this session ends. . . .

“Count Basie Jam” (Montreux '77) Pablo cd

3ddf9e311e4451f2c4e116c92b7930dc805df6a4

This is a nice record. Like a JATP revival.

I always like the original cover with the panes of colour that reminds me of vintage Tour de France posters' colour schemes.

Was it a hit at the time?

11 hours ago, felser said:

Finishing this up.  Here's your likely best album release of the year for 2024.  Shocking that something this magnificent would see the light of day this late in the game (I know there was a bootleg of one track from it some years ago).  Don't understand why Impulse didn't put this out  back in the early 70's, it would have sold as well as a lot of what they were releasing, and would have been a cultural landmark.  This CD release would have fit on one disc instead of two (though barely), and the sound isn't the best (though perfectly acceptable, better than several of the John Coltrane archival releases), but otherwise, this is a gem.

image.jpeg.167cf7bdf278ca87e445f2a354ab4a14.jpeg

👍❤️

12 minutes ago, felser said:

The three volumes of that desperately need CD reissue!

It is really good, isn't it!

39 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I don't remember any Pablo LP really being a "hit" in their time.

They must have done pretty well though. They're everywhere.

48 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

They must have done pretty well though. They're everywhere.

That's my memory of them in the 70's.  Pablo didn't have "hits", but their releases were solid and dependable.  You knew you were getting a good album by master musicians with long playing time (45-50 minutes) and beautiful artwork.  No compromises on quality in any regard for great mainstream artists who had often been treated shamefully on record in the  previous decade.