• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played two albums from the new Hank Mobley Mosaic Records cd set, I've always enjoyed these two.

Hank Mobley "Dippin'"
Dippin%27_%28Hank_Mobley_album_-_cover_a

Hank Mobley "Hi Voltage"
R-1217951-1285201344.jpeg.jpg

And then the expanded cd version of Jerry Garcia "Run for the Roses." I neglect this one too much, it's an interesting album. I wanted to evaluate the bass response of my current tube complements and John Kahn's bass sound is a good measurement tool for me.

Garcia-Jerry-Run-for-the-Roses.jpg?14440

18 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Mingus At The Bohemia

As a young Mingus enthusiast I never warmed up to this record.  So I carried that initial response forward and never really reexamined this one.  Someone posted on this and, sure enough, this is right in my wheelhouse now.  Thanks.

Superb music hands down ....

21 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Mingus At The Bohemia

As a young Mingus enthusiast I never warmed up to this record.  So I carried that initial response forward and never really reexamined this one.  Someone posted on this and, sure enough, this is right in my wheelhouse now.  Thanks.

That would be me with the trio record with Hampton Hawes, only I still haven't warmed to it.

But the Bohemia stuff benefits greatly, imo, from hindsight being 20/20. At the time of its release, I think this was the first document of the "new" Mingus and as such, the music might well seem tame and under-developed. And maybe it was. I mean, it seems like Mingus is still having some of his "old" approach in there.

But hey, whatever problems there were with that took care of themselves!:g

Both sessions are on one Japanese CD. Two completely different sets of musicians. The Pettiford is an Octet with Clark Terry, Joe Wilder, Jimmy Cleveland, Jimmy Hamilton, Dave Schildkraut, Danny Bank, Earl Knight and Osie Johnson.

The Rd Mitchell is a Sextet with Zoot Sims, Bob brookmeyer, Conte Candoli, Claude Williamson & Stan Levey.41sXaLcz23L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg611St0eHugL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Mingus At The Bohemia

Count me in as someone who has been in a similar situation. I became a Mingus enthusiast as early as I listened to "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus" (Paris 1964). Many Mingus LPs during that time were available on the French America label, among them your mentioned album , together with "Charles Mingus Quintet + Max Roach". I didn´t know much about how Mingus developed from the 50´s into the 60´s and had thought that "Mingus Quintet + Roach" might be a quite far out thing with two drummers in one group. To my little disappointment it was a quite conservative thing with Max sittin in only on two tunes. 

But "Drums" and "Percussion Discussion" are quite daring, nevertheless. 

Download (3).jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

That would be me with the trio record with Hampton Hawes, only I still haven't warmed to it.

But the Bohemia stuff benefits greatly, imo, from hindsight being 20/20. At the time of its release, I think this was the first document of the "new" Mingus and as such, the music might well seem tame and under-developed. And maybe it was. I mean, it seems like Mingus is still having some of his "old" approach in there.

But hey, whatever problems there were with that took care of themselves!:g

It is pretty marvelous.  And the "old" Mingus has great value also, just different.  HIstorically, I have to assume that these were lost in the ether due to both likely limited distribution, and the crystalization of the "new" music on the Atlantic 'Pithecanthropus Erectus'.  But I listen to this and the 'With Max Roach' companion album a lot more than I listen to that Mingus Three (also lost on me), and the albums on Bethlehem, which seemed like a step backwards in some ways.  Seemed to take another leap forward on 'Mingus in Wonderland', and another yet on the Columbia albums.