• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

7171jfPAA2L._SX355_.jpg

Didn't know there was a new one from these guys. What do you think of it, Peter? (or others?)

Ah, I see that David Williams has stepped in for Buster Williams. I really enjoy David's playing -- but Buster's on an entirely different level, imho.

NP:

51yWCy%2BAWOL._SS400.jpg

Al Haig - Ornithology (Progressive) 

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Didn't know there was a new one from these guys. What do you think of it, Peter? (or others?)

Ah, I see that David Williams has stepped in for Buster Williams. I really enjoy David's playing -- but Buster's on an entirely different level, imho.

ive) 

HutchFan, I consider this a good session, though perhaps just a tiny bit below the earlier CD.

3 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Well, once again here it is, "the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day" -- so you know what that calls for

M179326W595.jpg

MB179326W595.jpg

It's always a pleasant discovery to be reminded of just how good an album Ode To Billie Joe was/is.  Nine of the ten songs were composed by Ms. Gentry and several of them are just as evocative, in their own ways, as the smash hit title track.  We're probably past the deluxe boxed set glory days, but I was always hoping there would have been such a collection for Ms. Gentry.  There were only the handful of albums plus whatever singles were out there, all recorded for Capitol, so it should have been easy to produce.  If any previously unreleased material is around and they needed the cooperation of the performer to release, that might have been a problem.  Once Ms. Gentry left showbiz, she left it entirely and for good.  I suppose she still cashes whatever royalty checks come her way, but she is apparently well-off financially and not the least bit concerned with either her previous life or her legacy as a singer/songwriter.

Now playing Disc 3 of 10 from

bcd15784a_720x600.jpg

m34_l.jpg

Edited by duaneiac