So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

On 7/8/2017 at 6:43 AM, duaneiac said:

00602537732661-cover-zoom.jpg

115301301-2.jpg

Les Spann never gets a lot of attention and he may be easily overlooked among all the star players on these sessions, but he brought some real musical value to everything I've heard him on.

I saw him play in 1959 with a Gillespie quintet that included Junior Mance and Sam Jones. I believe that after his spell in the jazz limelight he fell on very hard times.

Now listening to:

519cUxrlhbL.jpg

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Ote Maloya, The Birth of Electric Maloya on Reunion Island 1975-1986 (Strut)

Many well-known names from the musical scene of my native island! With family around, I've listened to "Folklore Réunionnais", a compilation of Sega music, the other music genre along with maloya on th island. Side B is wonderful.

Discovering now: Stan Getz - Focus. Getz seems a bit on auto-pilot, but I like the arrangements and thought the strings and sax were blending very well.

Starting the afternoon with: earl meets harry (B&B).

Edited by aparxa

6 hours ago, aparxa said:

Many well-known names from the musical scene of my native island! With family around, I've listened to "Folklore Réunionnais", a compilation of Sega music, the other music genre along with maloya on th island. Side B is wonderful.

Discovering now: Stan Getz - Focus. Getz seems a bit on auto-pilot, but I like the arrangements and thought the strings and sax were blending very well.

Starting the afternoon with: earl meets harry (B&B).

It is new music to me; I rather like it; an excellent collection from Strut Records.

10 hours ago, BillF said:

I saw him play in 1959 with a Gillespie quintet that included Junior Mance and Sam Jones. I believe that after his spell in the jazz limelight he fell on very hard times.

Nice that you got to see & hear Les Spann play in person.  I'm sorry to hear his life had an unhappy ending.  The last recordings I saw on Wikipedia for him were from 1966 (albums led by Sonny Stitt and Lockjaw Davis), yet he lived until Jan. 1989.  So what was he doing for those final 22 years?

Recent listening:

7aa6be8e6e526e28f67ad688e43f80ee.jpg

MI0000179961.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

Nice that you got to see & hear Les Spann play in person.  I'm sorry to hear his life had an unhappy ending.  The last recordings I saw on Wikipedia for him were from 1966 (albums led by Sonny Stitt and Lockjaw Davis), yet he lived until Jan. 1989.  So what was he doing for those final 22 years?

I read about it but don't remember where. Someone on this well-informed board will know.^_^