• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

71iDsY7anRL._AC_UY218_.jpg

:tup

I had my copy signed by both (in different locations and at different times). Greg said the absence of a piano player (which leaves a gap IMHO) was the idea of the record producer, but he thought it was well compensated for by the presence of Harvie S. Gary was very interested in the CD, as he'd never seen it before!

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

MS00NzY2LmpwZWc.jpeg

7 hours ago, gmonahan said:

The thread on Brooks led me to listen again to this beauty.

71kwd+vgkRL._SX425_.jpg

Now playing:

ab67616d0000b273fa3339e91960ceed9445af22

Edited by BillF

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

MS00NzY2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Two, but not quite IN. Can it be that hard?

I like this one better than the first. Frank Haynes, Bill Hardman & Billy Gardner. Who could ask for anything more? (Apart from Columbia hiring better sleeve designers.)

Breakfast today with

Mi0yMDU3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Fela Kuti - Again - Excuse-o - Coconut 1976

Mi04MjM2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Fela Kuti - JJD (Johnny just drop) - Afrodisia  1977

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Gwigwi's Band - Kwela - 77 Afro series (the only one in 77's Afro series :) ) 1967. (Arr & Alto sax; Dudu Pukwana, leader & alto sax; Gwigwi Mrwebi, pno, Chris McGregor - v interesting band but the normal kind of Township stuff I like. Which means this probably isn't a recommendation.)

now

OS5wbmc.jpeg

MJQ at Music Inn vol 1 - Atlantic - 1956

next

NjUtNjY3OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Lionel Hampton 1951-53 - Chrono Classics

MG

"Freddy Cole Sings Mr. B" High Note cd

MI0002974157.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Freddy Cole – vocals
Randy Napoleon – guitar, arrangements
John di Martino – piano, arrangements
Houston Person – tenor saxophone
Elias Bailey – bass
Curtis Boyd – Drums

44 minutes ago, JSngry said:

OC02ODIxLmpwZWc.jpeg

ODAtNzI5NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Probably would have had more enthusiasm about this, like...20 years ago, but still and all,  a fine album. John Stubblefield adds value, for sure.

Ok, the last tune, "Big Girls", Stubblefield brings it home,. I'm playing "Shelf or Share" with a couple of boxes of things, and this one was going to be shared until this last cut. Stubblefield is moving it to the shelf!

Helen Merrill "Chasin' the Bird" Japan cd

OC0xNzc0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Baritone Saxophone – Pepper Adams
Bass – Ron McClure, Rufus Reid
Drums – Mel Lewis
Graphics – Tsuyoshi Morofuji
Guitar – Joe Puma
Music Director, Vocals – Helen Merrill
Piano, Arranged By, Music Director – Dick Katz

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, the last tune, "Big Girls", Stubblefield brings it home,. I'm playing "Shelf or Share" with a couple of boxes of things, and this one was going to be shared until this last cut. Stubblefield is moving it to the shelf!

My approach to culling music from my collection: If there's ANY doubt, keep it !!!  ;)

Just now, jazzbo said:

PEPPER ADAMS!

Exactly. :tup 

38 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

My approach to culling music from my collection: If there's ANY doubt, keep it !!!  ;)

That's been mine, too, and for several decades. But now, finally, I'm kinda getting tired of having stuff in boxes and not on shelves. And I'm not really wanting to buy more shelving and then try to find a wall to put it on (because there's not any of that left).

So...I'm not going to listen to everything I have "one more time" before I die, even if I live another 20+ years. I am going to keep getting new stuff in, becuswe I like to find new stuff I hadn't know before, So...some shit's gotta go, eventually.

The good news is that I got local buddies who are happy to take a lot of it. And I just donate a lot to the library. So, nothing goes to waste.

But I be a liar if I said that this getting rid of stuff is coming easy to me. It ain't!  :g

I recently had good success offloading a small lot of LPs at a record show that came through. I wasn’t trying to make a lot of money on these but it was a better experience than at local shops. Our libraries don’t take stuff like this anymore, old books neither.