So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

"The Complete Peggy Lee & June Christy Capitol Transcription Sessions" Mosaic Records disc IV

More Peggy Lee sides with the excellent guitar styling of her then husband Dave Barbour. You can imagine the love they had. Apparently she never really got over his passing.

c78d241563731c59195689016c79cfd39c87ebc1

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

516K1sBun8L._SY580_.jpg

I don´t remember if I have this. From the BN albums that have Hutch, McCoy, Herbie Lewis together the one I have is "Time for Tyner" but it has Freddie Waits on drums and not Billy , and the one of McCoy with Joe Henderson I think is "The Real McCoy. Is this an originally rejected session. The only previously unreleased Hutch I have is one that was recorded with the same personnel like "Idle Moments" , but it does not really surprise me. Good for easy listening, but with a too tame rhytm section. 

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

517e3Uw0pRL.jpg

Oh yeah, I think nowadays it is hard to find. 
Actually this was my first Jazz Messengers album when I was a teenager. Then it was on a RCA black&white series LP, same photo but a black cover. 
When I met Bill Hardman in person, I told him that this album was the first time I heard his trumpet and Mr. Hardman said yes he remembers that session very well. 
I think this was a lesser known edition of the Messengers, if I remember right they also did an album with Monk replacing the piano player. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I don´t remember if I have this. From the BN albums that have Hutch, McCoy, Herbie Lewis together the one I have is "Time for Tyner" but it has Freddie Waits on drums and not Billy , and the one of McCoy with Joe Henderson I think is "The Real McCoy. Is this an originally rejected session. The only previously unreleased Hutch I have is one that was recorded with the same personnel like "Idle Moments" , but it does not really surprise me. Good for easy listening, but with a too tame rhytm section. 

This is an essential Hutcherson  Blue Note and a reissue, originally released in the Liberty era. Quite an adventurous release and prime Joe Henderson too. The Lewis/Higgins team also delivers as per usual. It was also reissued on CD as a Conn back in the 2000s and on vinyl in the latest Tone Poets.

ODgtNTk5MS5qcGVn.jpeg

A gem.

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

This is an essential Hutcherson  Blue Note and a reissue, originally released in the Liberty era. Quite an adventurous release and prime Joe Henderson too. The Lewis/Higgins team also delivers as per usual. It was also reissued on CD as a Conn back in the 2000s and on vinyl in the latest Tone Poets.

Spot on. 🙂

MTgtNDMyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

EDIT: Just finished listening to this. Oh man, I'd forgotten how good it is. The album's closing track, "Rain" by Geri Allen, is so delicate and beautiful.  Three masters at work.

All three are gone now.  But Allen had only just turned 60 when she passed.  That's too young.

Edited by HutchFan