• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I like that one.

His was impressive, as always, at the Brotzmann memorial gig

I do like it. I need to listen to it again. His style and language is really different to Mitchell's percussion pieces as presented by Mitchell or the AEC.

I thought he was really excellent at the final Brotzmann gig. But Brotzmann and Mitchell are quite different languages. 

35 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Most definitely.  Charles Stepney !!!

Oh Yes!!!

Now streaming

Primary

I don't know why (although I did have them down as an electric Miles tribute act) but I have completely ignored Nucleus until recently when I bought 'Labyrinth' mostly because Norma Winstone's on it. Now investigating them chronologically, this is very good isn't it?  Sounds not unlike the Graham Collier albums of this time that I love so much.

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Oh Yes!!!

Now streaming

Primary

I don't know why (although I did have them down as an electric Miles tribute act) but I have completely ignored Nucleus until recently when I bought 'Labyrinth' mostly because Norma Winstone's on it. Now investigating them chronologically, this is very good isn't it?  Sounds not unlike the Graham Collier albums of this time that I love so much.

If you can, check out the BBC box set. . . better than the other albums imo.

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

If you can, check out the BBC box set. . . better than the other albums imo.

Thanks. I've just been chatting with a friend who has it. I may have to borrow it, 14 CDs seems a bit too much of a deep dive straight off

11 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks. I've just been chatting with a friend who has it. I may have to borrow it, 14 CDs seems a bit too much of a deep dive straight off

I took it slowly but it was rewarding. I'm in my slow and steady in rotation listen to the box for a second time, and I think over time I'll listen to it more often than the other material.

Now streaming:

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Ryo Kawasaki - Ring Toss (Chiaroscuro, 1977)
with Larry Willis, Sam Morrison, Badal Roy, and others

Interesting music that aims high and convincingly pulls in disparate elements.  I hear some echoes of McLaughlin (and Shakti) in Kawasaki's playing & music -- but not disturbingly so.  I particularly dig the vocalist, Rhada Shottam, who contributes wordless vocals à la Norma Winstone.

43 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Speaking of Winstone . . .  She is fantastic on that record!  That's my "go to" record for Nucleus, in no small part because of her.

47 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I have the 6 CD Nucleus & Ian Carr: Torrid Zone (The Vertigo Recordings, 1970-1975). Works for me.

50 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I have the 6 CD Nucleus & Ian Carr: Torrid Zone (The Vertigo Recordings, 1970-1975). Works for me.

I own that too. I like the BBC sessions better by more than a few hairs. ;)

Right now

My copy of the Barylli Quartet’s Beethoven String Quartet cycle arrived today from Japan, reissued in the UHQCD format.

Beethoven: The Complete String Quartets [Limited Release] [UHQCD] Barylli Quartet CD Album

[IMG]

A budget production in that it comes in a clamshell sort of box with plastic sleeves and a booklet, but the UHQCD format is handsome and the sound is quite good as far as mastering goes. The sonic character is typical of well-recorded early fifties mono, and though I wish there were a bit more “oomph” to the cello, there’s little else to complain about.

So far I’d say that the interpretation is not too adventurous but plenty expressive. Will be interesting to hear the entire cycle.

I notice that Japan has also reissued a five cd set of the Mozart quartets by these gents on this label, as well as a single cd of the quintets. . . in UHQCD. I ordered those.