Jump to content

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?


JSngry

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 79.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • soulpope

    8920

  • Peter Friedman

    7737

  • HutchFan

    7406

  • BillF

    5533

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In this pile of rare CDs, there was an unusual Hutcherson/Land CD called "Blow Up" on JMY that I had never seen before. Discogs lists it as an "Unofficial release". This is very good stuff. Some of the tracks sound like they were recorded in a studio. Why wasn't this released back then? This is really good stuff. Highly recommended.

And I must be losing it because at one point when I was listening to it, I had to check the discogs listing again because I could swear that the tenor player was Joe Henderson. :)

Primary

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had this "Blow Up" for a long time although it's been in storage about ten years. It was not recorded by Blue Note hence it was not released at the time. I remember it sounding live, all of it. . . but I have heard it in some time. Good music.

Edited by jazzbo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

In this pile of rare CDs, there was an unusual Hutcherson/Land CD called "Blow Up" on JMY that I had never seen before. Discogs lists it as an "Unofficial release". This is very good stuff. Some of the tracks sound like they were recorded in a studio. Why wasn't this released back then? This is really good stuff. Highly recommended.

And I must be losing it because at one point when I was listening to it, I had to check the discogs listing again because I could swear that the tenor player was Joe Henderson. :)

Primary

Excellent ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m listening to this disc yet again, I’m stuck here for now in this box set.

The dynamics in this 'fifties mono recording keep impressing me. And the music really connects me lately. I’ll move forward in this box set soon.

 

7f27197131501a8f8c086ffb1424fcc2dd80d904
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I’m listening to this disc yet again, I’m stuck here for now in this box set.

The dynamics in this 'fifties mono recording keep impressing me. And the music really connects me lately. I’ll move forward in this box set soon.

7f27197131501a8f8c086ffb1424fcc2dd80d904

The Westminster engineers were masters of the so called 'One-point microphone' technology (also used successfully by Mercury at that time) ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, soulpope said:

The Westminster engineers were masters of the so called 'One-point microphone' technology (also used successfully by Mercury at that time) ....

I believe it. . .all that I have heard from Westminster is excellent sounding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ny0xNTcwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse (Blue Note, 1971)

- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Lee Morgan
- Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Bass Clarinet – Bennie Maupin
- Piano – Harold Mabern
- Bass – Jymie Merritt
- Drums – Mickey Roker

I'm listening to a playlist of the four side-long cuts that were on the original double-album.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray Bryant Trio “Con Alma” Columbia/Sony Blu-Spec CD2 2023

This is a fantastic piano trio album in EVERY way.

4e6bbf3d14d0e5efc8cdd1fffee40c9fa32d8db1

Followed by

“Meet Ray Bryant and Betty Carter” Columbia cd

5141aW7xSTL.jpg

Which includes the material on this later LP

 

196976c44f80cfe6e06a384e073ebcfc10d8f1a6
Mmmmm… . . Betty Carter
Edited by jazzbo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...