• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

517XBdsUOFL._SX495_.jpg

Coltrane Jazz was some of the first Coltrane I ever heard -- so this record is extra special to me. 

Listening to it today, I'm still floored by the power and authority in this music.

Has to be one of my favourite Coltrane discs.

22 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Being an important ingredient for the success of both "Bluesette" and "Compassion" ....

Absolutely. Bluesette and Compassion are my my desert-island Hank Jones discs.

I prefer the Jones-Duvivier-Dawson combo over any of the more well-known Great Jazz Trio configurations. (I love Hank Jones, and I love Tony Williams. But I'm not a fan of Hank Jones and Tony Williams together. To me, it's a mismatch -- like putting a massive V-8 engine in a nimble roadster.  . . . Actually, the GJT combo that I like best is the one with Mads Vinding & Billy Hart. I think those two records on Timeless probably come closest to Bluesette and Compassion.)

Just now, HutchFan said:

Absolutely. Bluesette and Compassion are my my desert-island Hank Jones discs.

I prefer the Jones-Duvivier-Dawson combo over any of the more well-known Great Jazz Trio configurations. .  . . . Actually, the GJT combo that I like best is the one with Mads Vinding & Billy Hart. I think those two records on Timeless probably come closest to Bluesette and Compassion.)

Full agreement .... although I dig both Timeless platters still the Black&Blue releases are in another league ....