Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Absolutely. Bluesette and Compassion are my my desert-island Hank Jones discs.

I prefer the Jones-Duvivier-Dawson combo over any of the more well-known Great Jazz Trio configurations. (I love Hank Jones, and I love Tony Williams. But I'm not a fan of Hank Jones and Tony Williams together. To me, it's a mismatch -- like putting a massive V-8 engine in a nimble roadster.  . . . Actually, the GJT combo that I like best is the one with Mads Vinding & Billy Hart. I think those two records on Timeless probably come closest to Bluesette and Compassion.)

I generally agree about the Great Jazz Trio albums not being the best match up for Hank Jones. Also agree about the two excellent Hank Jones albums on Black & Blue. 

Hank made many other fine recordings as leader as well. I would especially mention "Arigato" with Richard Davis & Ronnie Bedford, "For My Father" with George Mraz and Dennis Mackrel, "Live at Jazzhus Slukefter 1983" with Mads Vinding and Shelly Manne, and "The Trio" with Milt Hinto and Bobby Rosengarden.

This one below is a good one too.

61feXrJxbsL._AC_US218_.jpg

3 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I generally agree about the Great Jazz Trio albums not being the best match up for Hank Jones. Also agree about the two excellent Hank Jones albums on Black & Blue. 

Hank made many other fine recordings as leader as well. I would especially mention "Arigato" with Richard Davis & Ronnie Bedford, "For My Father" with George Mraz and Dennis Mackrel, "Live at Jazzhus Slukefter 1983" with Mads Vinding and Shelly Manne, and "The Trio" with Milt Hinto and Bobby Rosengarden.

This one below is a good one too.

61feXrJxbsL._AC_US218_.jpg

Thanks for those recommendations, Peter. :tup :tup :tup

I've enjoyed Hank Jones' Muse recordings -- both Bop Redux and Groovin' High -- but I don't know any of those others.

One more that I really like (but didn't mention before):

41W3AZ9F78L._SY355_.jpg

Hanky Panky (East Wind)
with Ron Carter & Grady Tate

R-4395456-1489270405-1103.jpeg.jpg  R-2399674-1314176850.jpeg.jpg  R-10241080-1496513567-3527.jpeg.jpg  R-755033-1323793716.jpeg.jpg

Miles: The New Miles Davis Quintet (Prestige)

Mary Lou Williams - Zoning (Smithsonian Folkways)

John Coltrane - Black Pearls (Prestige)

John Coltrane - Traneing In (Prestige)

The Miles and Trane albums I excerpted from the Prestige box sets. I hadn't spun the Miles for a long time; I've neglected it in favor of what came later. But It's gorgeous. I also don't listen to Coltrane's Prestige recordings that often, but I'm enjoying reacquainting myself with this stuff.

As for the Mary Lou album - she has such a long and varied career that this might a dangerous thing to say, but I think that Zoning is her masterpiece.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-11541759-1518188933-5816.jpeg.jpg

Because there is no such thing as a bad Jaws record. I will listen to Lockjaw play anything, anywhere, any time. I would not kill a loved one to defend Lockjaw's honor, but I don't have all that many loved ones, so you've been warned.

Hell yeah, Lockjaw Davis.

I remember this record, it was done in Vienna. And to mention: Karl Ratzer is just fantastic ! Some years before this record was made, Eddie Lockjaw Davis was so nice to sign for me a record that I had brought to be signed: It was the 1974 Jaws with the Tommy Flanagan Trio