Help me get the Music Matters Jazz Blue Note series extended!

LeeScoggins

10 hours ago, B. Clugston said:

I had a dud I had to return too. Robert Hutton goes off on Music Matters here: http://robertmusic.blogspot.ca/2016/03/why-you-wont-see-music-matters-blue.html I agree with you about the sound and I'm very happy with the titles I do have. I think Out to Lunch and Soul Station in particular sound terrific.

ooh, his homepage features a Roy Harper "Lifemask" reissue! Now there's something that needs to be out properly again...

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

That's what Steve Hoffman said on his forum. That they were making masters for the sacds and the lps from the same material at the same time.

Well, for one thing, we're talking about 33 RPM Music Matters LPs that were cut fairly recently, versus Acoustic Sounds SACDs that were mastered and issued many years ago, so there's no way that these Acoustic Sounds SACDs were done at the same time as the current 33 RPM Music Matters LPs that we're talking about here.

Now, if you're talking about the Acoustic Sounds 45 RPM LPs and SACDs that were issued concurrently, I was told by a member of that team that there were 2 passes with the master tape to do this. One pass for the LP cutting and another pass for the creation of the DSD master. It made sense to me since the LP is EQ 'ed in the analog domain, which is not something you would normally do for a DSD master.

If Steve Hoffman is saying otherwise, I can't argue that. I can only tell you what I was told when I asked how it was done.

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

You know that for a fact? Would seem like an inexplicable  waste not to do it.

Again, Music Matters did not issue SACDs. Acoustic Sounds did. Acoustic Sounds only licensed 25 titles for SACD. They licensed 50 titles for LP. I specifically asked if Acoustic Sounds made DSD masters of all 50 titles, hoping for another batch of SACDs in the future, and I was told by the same member of the team a flat, "No".

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, we are now close to 600 signatures.  Please sign-up if you like Blue Note jazz!  Thanks.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:28 PM, Homefromtheforest said:

I had to return at least 3 titles(and a few of them more then once) because of noisy pressings.  

Sorry to hear this.  I have not experienced any noisy pressings in the 120+ MM titles I have.

• 3 years later...
On 4/3/2017 at 8:53 PM, LeeScoggins said:

Friends, we are now close to 600 signatures.  Please sign-up if you like Blue Note jazz!  Thanks.

Sorry to hear this.  I have not experienced any noisy pressings in the 120+ MM titles I have.

I apologize for coming off too brash above. I do think that placing orders for their albums is a more direct, sure way to induce them to come out with more titles. 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I guess this thread was overtaken by the Tone Poet series..

Two things happened to end the Music Matters Jazz reissue program. One was the retirement of Ron Rombach. The second was Blue Note hiring Joe Harley and Kevin Gray to continue these reissues for them. Thus began the Tone Poet series.

Truth be told, I am very glad that they did this and did not continue with Music Matters. Music Matters releases were limited. Tone Poet releases are not. Music Matters releases started out at $34.95/each and were $39.95/each by end and they didn't offer free shipping unless you bought more 4 or more LPs. Blue Note Tone Poets can be found for under $30 here in the US and many vendors offer free shipping. Music Matters stopped using distributors after the first few releases which made them the store where you could buy them. Tone Poets are everywhere. And one of the worst things about the Music Matters LPs was that as they started to sell out, they raised the prices. No major label does that.

12 minutes ago, bresna said:

Two things happened to end the Music Matters Jazz reissue program. One was the retirement of Ron Rombach. The second was Blue Note hiring Joe Harley and Kevin Gray to continue these reissues for them. Thus began the Tone Poet series.

Truth be told, I am very glad that they did this and did not continue with Music Matters. Music Matters releases were limited. Tone Poet releases are not. Music Matters releases started out at $34.95/each and were $39.95/each by end and they didn't offer free shipping unless you bought more 4 or more LPs. Blue Note Tone Poets can be found for under $30 here in the US and many vendors offer free shipping. Music Matters stopped using distributors after the first few releases which made them the store where you could buy them. Tone Poets are everywhere. And one of the worst things about the Music Matters LPs was that as they started to sell out, they raised the prices. No major label does that.

Big plus also that the Tone Poets are much more widely available over here. When I subscribed to MM for their 45s there was international shipping and increasingly onerous import taxes to pay. MM used to hold mine back and ship in batches, which helped, but still a bit of an ordeal and increasingly big hit on the pocket. Didn’t bother with the 33s.

Edited by sidewinder