Lucky Thompson - Star Chaser

jazhound

Can across this live date for Lucky Thompson, which was released on the  label Nagel Heyer label in 2014.  Can anyone provide recording information, personnel details?  I think its a brilliant record.  Thompson released a number of fine recordings through the years, including the brilliant Tricotism on Impulse and Lucky Strikes on Prestige, along with recording with a stunning array of the giants, including Miles, Monk, Parker, Pettiford and Mingus.  I think "Star Chaser" ranks with his very finest, but I'm having difficulty finding any recording information on line.  Any help?

http://attictoys.com/lucky-thompson-discography-1957-1974/

Date: September 11, 1968
Label: [private recording]
Milt Buckner Live in Switzerland with Buddy Tate and Lucky Thompson

Milt Buckner (ldr), Lucky Thompson (ss), Buddy Tate (ts), Milt Buckner (or), Wallace Bishop (d)

a.   Stompin' at the Savoy - 12:55(Benny Goodman, Edgar Sampson, Chick Webb)
b.   You've Changed - 6:55(Carl Fischer, Bill Carey)
c.   Satin Doll - 11:38(Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Johnny Mercer)
Nagel Heyer Digital Download— Star Chaser   (2014)
d.   Yesterdays - 7:43(Jerome Kern, Otto Harbach)
e.   One O'Clock Jump - 9:21(Count Basie)

Date: September 12, 1969
Label: [radio broadcast]
Lucky Thompson Quartet Live in Mézières

Lucky Thompson (ldr), Lucky Thompson (ss, ts), Géo Voumard (p), Bob Jaquillard (b), Stuff Combe (d)

a.   The World Awakes(Lucky Thompson)
unissued
b.   Body and Soul(Johnny Green, Edward Heyman, Robert Sour, Frank Eyton)
unissued
c.   Bags' Groove(Milt Jackson)
unissued
d.   Cherokee - 8:30(Ray Noble)
Jazz Helvet (Swi.) CDJH 03 — Switzerland, 1968-1969   (1990) 
e. set closer no. 1 Lester Leaps In - 2:26(Lester Young)
f.   Satin Doll(Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Johnny Mercer)
unissued
g.   I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good - 6:33(Duke Ellington, Paul Francis Webster)
Disques Office (Swi.) CDDO 65223 — Géo Voumard 1953-1977: 25 Ans de Jazz et de Complicités Musicales   (1999)
h.   Have You Met Miss Jones?(Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart)
unissued
i.   'Round Midnight - 5:08(Thelonious Monk, Bernie Hanighen, Cootie Williams)
Disques Office (Swi.) CDDO 65223 — Géo Voumard 1953-1977: 25 Ans de Jazz et de Complicités Musicales   (1999)
j.   Strike up the Band - 9:08(George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)
k. set closer no. 2 Lester Leaps In - 2:34(Lester Young)

Edited by soulpope

The download includes 9 tracks,

Go to the last part of Noal Cohen's Thompson discography:

http://attictoys.com/lucky-thompson-discography-1957-1974/

Then search for Nagel Heyer 

Here's the remaining:

Oscar Pettiford (ldr), Duško Gojkovic (t), Lucky Thompson (ss, ts), Oscar Pettiford (vc, b), Hans Hammerschmid (p), Fred Dutton (b), Hartwig Bartz (d), Monica Zetterlund (v)

b.   Sophisticated Lady - 5:39(Duke Ellington, Mitchell Parish, Irving Mills)
Jazzline (Ger.) LP 12"JL 20827 — Jazz Legacy - Baden Baden Unreleased Radio Tapes: Oscar Pettiford Sessions 1958-60   (1989) 
Jazzhaus (Ger.) LP 12"AJZH 101724 — Oscar Pettiford: Lost Tapes - Baden-Baden 1958/1959   (2013) 
Jazzline (Ger.) CD11 096 — Jazz Legacy - Baden Baden Unreleased Radio Tapes: Oscar Pettiford Sessions 1958-60   (1989) 
Jazzhaus (Ger.) CDJH 101719 — Oscar Pettiford: Lost Tapes - Baden-Baden 1958/1959   (2013) 
Jazzline (Ger.) CD11 300 — Jazz Legacy - Baden Baden Radio Tapes '55-'60    
Delta (Jpn.) CD1017 — Jazz Legacy - Baden Baden Unreleased Radio Tapes: Oscar Pettiford Sessions 1958-60    
Han-Ki Digital Download— Hit That Jive   (2014) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 14, 1960
Label: Vogue (Fr.)
Lucky Thompson Duo and Trio: Oscar Pettiford Memorial Concert

Lucky Thompson (ldr), Lucky Thompson (ss, ts), Peter Trunk (b), Daniel Humair (d)

a.   The World Awakes - 4:54(Lucky Thompson)
RCA Victor (Jpn.) CDRBCX 7057 — The Vibe! Vol. 10: Jazz & Bop de Paris   (2005) 
b.   Lover Man - 5:04(Roger 'Ram' Ramirez, Jimmy Davis, Jimmy Sherman)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have my doubts this is a legit release ....

Edited by mikeweil

9 hours ago, brownie said:

I have had the  original Jazz Helvet CD since its release back in 1990. My only regret is that it features Lucky Thompson on soprano more than on tenor.

I've never come across a copy of the Switzerland 1968-69 release.  From the discography, it appears that the contents are very similar to that of Star Chaser.  Any significant differences?

Having browsed the Cohan discography - many thanks to mikweil and soulpope for directing me there - I'm amazed, intrigued, and somewhat appalled.  If the selections on Star Chaser are of this quality, how much prime Thompson is lying dormant on someone's shelf?  The version of
"Tenderly" on Star Chaser ranks with the finest interpretations I've ever heard of the tune, and the tenor sound is intoxicating.  So what of all the other material from that session - and so many more?

Lucky Thompson was in geat form during his days in Europe. He only regretted that the accompanists sometimes were not up to par.

The only tracks newly released on the Star Chaser download are those from Lausanne and two from Mézières - so they probably had their own tape sources. Too bad they didn't include all the material available from any of the performances. 

8 hours ago, jazhound said:

The version of "Tenderly" on Star Chaser ranks with the finest interpretations I've ever heard of the tune, and the tenor sound is intoxicating.  

????? I do not see "Tenderly" among the Star Chaser tracks or any other Thompson recording since 1957 ....

11 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Lucky Thompson was in geat form during his days in Europe. He only regretted that the accompanists sometimes were not up to par.

I read that Stan Tracey and he didn't get on at all during a mid 60s Ronnie Scott stint. Lots of nasty messages passing from the horn to the rhythmn section apparently. Same thing seems to have happened with Don Byas. Stan was a very supportive and supremely adaptable musician who backed all of the US visitors to the club so odd that this was the case.

With regard to that European sojourn,  there was that attempt to put together a Lucky Thompson conference here in the UK back in the 1960s, which Lucky mentions on that message at the start of the Candid CD. Never happened in the end..

Edited by sidewinder

19 hours ago, mikeweil said:

The only tracks newly released on the Star Chaser download are those from Lausanne and two from Mézières - so they probably had their own tape sources. Too bad they didn't include all the material available from any of the performances. 

????? I do not see "Tenderly" among the Star Chaser tracks or any other Thompson recording since 1957 ....

19 hours ago, mikeweil said:

It is the second track of the download I have.  It appears to be from the March 26, 1956 recording. The Cohan discography references the release of the track on the Star Chaser download.

6 hours ago, mjzee said:

Is that Nagel Heyer download still available?

It appears to have disappeared VERY recently.  I think it was still available about a week ago, but I can't seem to locate an active link for it when I searched after you posted the question.

Edited by jazhound
Reference discography

eMusic used to carry a bunch of those weird N-H downloads.  I wonder whether whoever put them out misappropriated the company name, since they seemed so out of character from what N-H used to release.  eMusic no longer carries those downloads.

On 3/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, mikeweil said:

that's apparently the version from the 1956 Vogue Sessions

http://attictoys.com/lucky-thompson-discography-1951-1956/