Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

Right on Greggery.  I find it incredible, well, perhaps amazing, that someone would raise a criticism. I find their Gazzette to be a service to jazz fans.  If it helps them financially, so much the better.  If you don't like it, there's an easy solution: don't read it.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mother ordered the Complete Woody Shaw Muse bos by phone around June 1 and it arrived before June 15.

i placed an order around May 5 and have all of it. It came in two shipments as one box was temporarily out of stock.

i have never understood the obsession on this board for the date on which Mosaic orders have arrived. I have also never understood the anxiety expressed often, about where the Mosaic order could be, before it arrives.

i have over 100 Mosaic sets, purchased from their first year of operation until now. Literally every single set arrived fairly soon after it was ordered, with not a single problem with delivery. It usually takes me weeks to listen to and fully digest all of a Mosaic set. So if it arrives on April 5 or April 9, who cares? 

I have always found that to be an odd topic of discussion on this board.

The issue on some sets was that Mosaic had an overwhelming response to their notice that they might be going out of business and demand outstripped supply, especially boxes, not to mention that they don't have enough personnel to ship a set as they used to have.  

3 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Just got the Savoy set that I ordered a few weeks ago when it was backordered.  Happy to have it and listening now.  Really digging it so far.

What are your thoughts on the sound quality?  It's been a hot topic around here.

21 hours ago, mjzee said:

What are your thoughts on the sound quality?  It's been a hot topic around here.

I'm the wrong guy to ask, perhaps.  I don't have a high end system and am pretty easy to please, being happy to have the music.  That being said, I am aware of the sound quality discussions and as I listen, am wondering what all the fuss was about.  The set sounds fine to me. 

20 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

If the business is foundering then they need to re-examine their priorities. Perhaps "spreading the gospel of jazz" is not the best use of their limited funds. Moreover, whenever I've clicked on links in the email I find they never take me to the story I want to read; instead, I have to scroll through the Gazette to find it, and more often than not I give up before I do. So IMO the whole thing is a waste of time.

It's a promotional device, to draw traffic to their website and sell stuff.  Labor of love, perhaps, but it serves a business purpose first and foremost, I'm sure.

I too have scrolled through the Gazette having to look for things -- that's just the way it works.  In the process I've often stumbled on things I hadn't expected, or overlooked the first time.  And I've spent more time on the Mosaic website as a result, sometimes reminding myself of what their current offerings were (and checking out what's on the running-low and last-chance lists) -- all of which is the whole point of it.

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Doesn't have enough leisure time to browse a website with very limited content - uses leisure time to go to a message board to bitch about it. 

Sounds like a meme generator could be of some use here, maybe?

Dude, if the website is proving a bit much to handle, a forum would be a nightmare of a circus for them

Really, I don't see how they've in any way "failed".  35 or so years working with the licensing landscapes they had at any given moment, any number of truly noble projects, some of arguably legendary status/quality, there is no entitlement for anybody to expect this to rocket out past all gravitational pulls into infinity, no.

The only thing I've really wanted from them that I give up on is a Bill Barron set. And Cusuna "promised" me in a snail-mail letter from 1990 that there would be an Albert Ayler set, but that was long before Bernard Stollman reentered the universe, so I get that.

Mosaic is just a business. Unless some stuff is going on that is not in general conversation circles, I don't hear about them running around looking for White Knights to save the day. So...If they carry on, great. If they don't,  their shit has been put out there, go find it. And if they didn't get to it, oh well, we can still hunt and gather, each in our own way, same as we always have.

CH, I see what you're talking about with the drop down menu but the amount of products or sets they have (or have had, when times were better) is not that much or any challenge to a potential customer browsing their offerings. 

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

As for hunting and gathering, I've been doing a lot of that lately, and although it's time-consuming and frustrating, I suppose it's no more so than waiting for Mosaic's next offering.

You're a young guy, right? Hunting and gathering used to be the only way, trust me. Time-consuming, always, but only frustrating when you didn't have the bread for something on Thursday afternoon only to come back and find it gone on Friday night.

These records were out there in the wild before Mosaic, and, albeit less readily, they'll be there after Mosaic. Nobody said it would be easy to find them, that's kinda hard-wired into the definition of "hard to find". Mosaic made it less hard for a good long while, but now,,sue those residula skill if you still have them, and if not, here's a chance to learn

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

If the market still exists but Mosaic has made bad decisions then it has failed...

...I've seen the European reissue labels actually stealing from the Chronological Classics series because those are often the only digital transfers available for much old jazz.

And if the market still exists (and that gets to be a  bigger "if" damn near every day), somebody will serve it, eventually. Somebody always does, eventually.

As for those Euro labels stealing...obviously there's a market for that.

otoh, it served its audiences well enough then that people now want it "better", which I think reflects more on people than it does on the records. The records served their purposes just fine, usually. Not always, but usually. Talk to the 78 peoples here if you don't believe me.

Also, waiting for/hoping for/expecting Mosaic to be the only people in the world to do this type of thing is putting all the eggs in one basket, maybe. Or not. But I firmly believe that Plan B is always gonna be Plan A eventually, etc.